"Nick and Nora"

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#1"Nick and Nora"
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:19am

Nick and Nora. a Play. Book By Arthur Laurents, Music By Charles Strouse, and Lyrics By Richard Maltby, Jr.

Does anyone know if the performace right to this musical have been released, and if so who owns the rights?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:38am

Believe me, you don't want the rights.

WindyCityActor
#2re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:49am

I know it was a woofer of a musical...but I am rather taken with some of the songs, and wondering it anything else is salvagable.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:57am

Again, I agree with the Downer.

Must be the holiday season...

This was badbadbad, and not it the sobadit'sgood way, like Carrie or Bring Back Birdie. It was just bad.

Ed_Mottershead
#4re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:00pm

I saw it. Actually, it doesn't have a half-bad score and some of the secondary performances were very good indeed -- it catapulted Faith Prince into Guys and Dolls. The book was a mess, though. And Barry Bostwick just didn't cut it. But not a disaster of Carrie-like proportions.

BroadwayEd

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#5re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:13pm

Charles Strouse is not capable of writing a score that is totally bad. Even the score for Bring Back Birdie had some pleasures, albeit guilty ones.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#6re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:20pm

I have to admit that as painful as some of it is to listen to, I don't mind dragging out the recording every now and then (hearing Joanna Gleason sing makes me beam). Now, I saw it too (in previews), and one the most painful moments I have ever had in a theater was the end of Act 1. Barry Bostwick hit the flattest note in "Look Who's Alone Now" that I have ever heard in a Broadway production. As the curtain fell, he looked as embarassed for himself as the audience did for the show. There is some good material in there, though, if someone ever wanted to clean the mess up.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#7re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:30pm

Matty - Everyone saw it in previews - remember they kept extending the preview period so reviwers would not come in.

I saw it as well...I loved the old films, but this was an absolute mess.

Still I do have the cd on my ipod...go figure.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

WindyCityActor
#8re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:35pm

I have thought about proposing it as a production for my theatre company's next season...but using the concept that it's being staged as a 1940's nightclub revue....men in tuxedos, and each women in one drop dead gorgeous 1940's style evening gown...huge grand piano handling the score...perhaps part nightclub revue / part live radio broadcast....i.e. elimating all of the multiple costumes and sets, and having a small core of supporting actors playing all of the "non Nick and Nora" roles.

I've gone through a number of Internet searches and I haven't been able to determine if the rights are available.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#9re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 1:59pm

Last i saw, Sam French owned it.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:20pm

A clunky show with a few good tunes.

WindyCityActor
#11re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:27pm

Nope, it's not on Sam French's website. re: 'Nick and Nora'

Gothampc
#12re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:22pm

The show really isn't that great. One of its flaws is that it breaks up the Nick/Nora team. The musical pits them against each other. In addition, the end of Act 1 is dopey. It has the cast restaging the murder several times which gets REALLY monotonous even with top rate actors.

The style you talk about is interesting. Why don't you think about better material like "City of Angels" "Swingtime Canteen" or "The 1940s Radio Hour".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#13re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:38pm

WindyCityActor, have you considered doing Pal Joey using your concept?

It might be a better fit. Most of the songs take place in a nightclub or have a nightclub/cabaret vibe. You could also have your 40's glam.. and have cabaret seating.

Better score. Better Book. Consider it.

P.S. If you do it, send me a ticket!

What great ones do the less will prattle of

shesamarshmallow
#14re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:39pm

Barry Bostwick hit the flattest note in "Look Who's Alone Now" that I have ever heard in a Broadway production.

Clearly you haven't been to Blonde recently.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#15re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 4:09pm

I do remember hearing that "they" did make some changes on the show for the stock and amateur versions. So, I believe that the tunestack of the CD is not the same for the script that you'll get when you finally find it.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

WindyCityActor
#16re: 'Nick and Nora'
Posted: 12/20/07 at 4:16pm

I'll check out those other options...I found Charles Strouse's website which is licensing information for many of his show, but not "Nick and Nora" so the right may have been pulled.

Videos