pixeltracker

FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER- Page 2

FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#25re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:53pm

FIORELLO?

Read the script and get the cast album. It's a very well written musical and unusual in that the leading character barely sings at all. He is defined by the songs sung about him.

I have never seen it staged, it has been rather unfairly neglected. No movie or TV version, rarely revived. But remember, it tied with SOUND OF MUSIC for the 1960 Tony award (Over GYPSY no less.)

I have also never seen OF THEE I SING (except a TV version in 1972 with Caroll O'Connor and Cloris Leachman) but of the 5 I have seen SUNDAY is my favourite. On stage I love CHORUS LINE but listen more to the score of SOUTH PACIFIC on records.

Of these 7 shows RENT is my least favourite. I like it a lot but like the other shows more.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

being.jeremiah
#26re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 12:22am

A Chorus Line and Sunday in the Park with George.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#27re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 12:47am

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, hands down! And, the one that won the Pulitzer, not the crappy film or revival versions.

kooky
#28re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 8:38am

A Chorus Line
South Pacific

Yankeefan007
#29re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 8:49am

FIORELLO is a very well written show. But it's also VERY dated.

Mattbrain
#30re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 9:01am

Sunday in the Park With George and Rent

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#31re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 12:59pm

1 Rent
2 Sunday in the Park with George
3 A Chorus Line
4 South Pacific

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

elphaba-maureen
#32re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 1:13pm

RENT!!

all the way ... especially the OBC

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#33re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 1:46pm

A Chorus Line

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#34re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 2:17pm

Sunday.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

philcrosby
#35re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 2:47pm

South Pacific, followed by A Chorus Line.

notabb
#36re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 3:24pm

SUNDAY IN THE PARK

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#37re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 3:25pm

A Chorus Line, RENT, then Sunday. I haven't actually seen Sunday, though -- just heard the cast recordings. I liked it, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from just hearing the score and reading the plot synopsis.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

brainlessorwise Profile Photo
brainlessorwise
#38re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 8:30pm

My favorite is Rent, which is what the original question was, but I think the most perfect musical is Sunday.

pinoyonbroadway
#39re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 8:40pm

Sunday In The Park With George would definitely be my favorite. The Rest Would Be As Follows.

A Chorus Line
How To Succeed
Rent
Of Thee I Sing
South Pacific

I Haven't listened to Fiorello yet, so my opinion might change the minute I do.

Everybody's Playing The Game But Nobody's Rules Are The Same Nobody's On Nobody's Side

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#40re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 8:56pm

"Sunday in the Park with George" by far.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

TheaterAddict7652
#41re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/7/08 at 11:01pm

That's very, very tough for me, especially because they're all so different. Can I have a four-way-tie between A Chorus Line, Sunday in the Park with George (based on the cast recording alone), Rent and South Pacific? re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER

I guess if I had to choose one, I'd go with A Chorus Line.

And if August: Osage County won the Pulitzer, I would be very happy.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

elmore3003
#42re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 7:52am

ray-andallthatjazz86 wrote:

They already missed the one for this decade: CAROLINE, OR CHANGE. In what world does RENT have a Pulitzer and CAROLINE, OR CHANGE doesn't? GREY GARDENS would have been a nice choice for '06 too.

The Pulitzers don't mysteriously happen because a committee gets together and decides to award something. There is a nominating process and entry fees to be paid. Do you knpow that CAROLINE or GREY GARDENS was even submitted to the committee? When I nominated SITPWG in 1984, I was surprised to learn that Sondheim had never been nominated for the Pulitzer before then, and I still believe FOLLIES deserves it more than SUNDAY IN THE PARK.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#43re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 8:20am

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE was indeed submitted. Rumor has it Ben Brantley threw a tantrum saying he'd leave the committee if the show got nominated. Not sure if this is true or not, but what is true is that the show deserved the award.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

elmore3003
#44re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 8:41am

Then you must know someone involved with the submission for it. Since I have no idea of what the other submissions were for that year or, for that matter, what the winning play was, I'm sorry that your choice didn't win. As I said before, my nomination was Sondheim's first, and I'm still amazed that COMPANY, FOLLIES, or SWEENY TODD, which I feel should have been nominated as an opera, were never submitted. At the time I did it, Steve said, "we'll never win," so sometimes good things happen on the first toss of the dice.

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#45re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 8:57am

A Chorus Line, followed by Rent

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 11:14am

Sunday in the Park, followed by A Chorus Line.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#47re: FAVORITE MUSICAL WITH A PULITZER
Posted: 1/8/08 at 12:06pm

SUNDAY all the way...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx