pixeltracker

TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid

ChelseaTodd
#1TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:06pm

It was one of the most ravishing things I have ever seen on a Broadway stage... But The Little Mermaid is more than just a visual feast. In fact, I think it comes closer than any Disney show since The Lion King to combining story, song and inventive staging into something that lifts our spirits and renews our faith that theater for "children" can be enjoyed by everyone.

Time Magazine Review Updated On: 1/16/08 at 09:06 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:15pm

1. That's not a review. A review is submitted at the same time as the other critics, so there is no time to "review the critics."

2. You can't copy and paste an entire article, even with a link to the source. It's plagiarism. You can only copy and paste portions of the article with a link to the rest of it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

littlechavela2 Profile Photo
littlechavela2
#2re: TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:18pm

Sebastian...the frog?

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#3re: TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:20pm

I'm glad this worthless piece of nothing got one good review.

Actually I'm amused but not glad. Hopefully the show will die a quick death this year so a good show can go into that theatre.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#4re: TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:21pm

Wow, I really disagree with this guy.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Puppetguy Profile Photo
Puppetguy
#5re: TIME Magazine Review for The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:22pm

Umm... that's not the full review... click through to see it...

And, that IS actually a review... the weekly publications come out after the daily papers, but the see shows the same week as other reviewers....

and regarding his calling out of the NY reviewers... bravo... they are completely out of touch... this show is awesome.

The Wall Street Journal also had a similar piece... see below...

Wall Street Journal Review Updated On: 1/16/08 at 09:22 PM

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#6time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:29pm

how long did tarzan run? this will run longer. at least 600 performances. probably more. a lot more. it has what tarzan didn't: memorable songs that are already familiar.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#7time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:33pm

Actually MERMAID is doing eons better than TARZAN ever did, financially. I give it about 2-3 years. I hope I can see it.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#8time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:35pm

also THE LITTLE MERMAID (animated version) is more popular than TARZAN (animated version)

Brave Sir Robin2- you have not seen TLM? I thought you did...

J*

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#9time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:57pm

Well I disagree with him. That's my opinion! MY OPINION! YOU CAN NEVER TAKE AWAY MY OPINION! SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Brave Sir Robin2
#10time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:58pm

I haven't. I am really hoping ot make it too NYC. My opinions are based on pics, vids, and audio.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:09pm

IF you dont live in NYC..(youre from San Fran..is that right?) and on limited days...

I will probably advise to SKIP it... I like it bec. of the cast but its not a MUST SEE! I dont think its VISUALLY stuning like LION KING....

I will probably focus on REALLY good new musicals and plays like SUNDAY, AUGUST : OSAGE COUNTY, GYPSY, IN THE HEIGHTS, SOUTH PACIFIC or even ROCK N" ROLL- these are the must see shows-iMO.

If it will be trimmed to 2 shows- I say... Sunday & August... Its just I like variety time for little mermaid

J*

Updated On: 1/16/08 at 10:09 PM

Brave Sir Robin2
#12time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:13pm

I live in L.A; but I visit S.F. every once in a while. I hope to go to NY in '09 in March (this year I chose Tahoe. Really cheap :^)). I wanna see MERMAID, XANADU, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, and IN THE HEIGHTS. I'm not too into the artsy musicals or plays. I really like bouncy and happy shows. I doubt the good shows will be open when I go...:^(

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:24pm

Umm... that's not the full review... click through to see it...

Look at the time you posted: 9:22pm.

Look at the time he edited it: 9:18pm.

It was the full review before he edited it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Rentaholic2
#14time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:58pm

So what is one to make of the Little Mermaid reviews? Let's see: The New York critics hated it; but big national publications like the Wall Street Journal and TIME magazine loved it. I'm gonna say that puts it on the same plane as Beauty and the Beast and I guess Mary Poppins, so....it'll run for years. (And I can't wait to see it).

RentBoy86
#15time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:04am

Well, they also said Grease was the number one musical of the year, so...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:46am

Good one RENTBOY

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#17time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/18/08 at 9:18am

Happy to see that someone enjoyed the show. I can't wait to see it in March. CPD, you must move on about Disney.

Fosse76
#18time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/18/08 at 1:42pm

"Actually MERMAID is doing eons better than TARZAN ever did, financially."

No, it's not. It's pretty easy to get tickets to. The Little Mermaid is without question that absolute WORST musical I have ever seen. I was so embarassed for the actors. I mean come on! This show is even too tacky to be performed at Disney World.

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#19time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/18/08 at 1:47pm

Expect to see more reviews for The Little Mermaid trickling in next week. Tituss Burgess has been out sick this week so a lot of press tickets had to be rescheduled. I won't be seeing it until Tuesday.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20time for little mermaid
Posted: 1/18/08 at 1:58pm

I sent them an e-mail about Sebastian the frog.

Just give the world Love.

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#21time for little mermaid
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:00pm

"The Little Mermaid is without question that absolute WORST musical I have ever seen. I was so embarassed for the actors. I mean come on! This show is even too tacky to be performed at Disney World."

I agree completely. I've never seen a show I've hated. Even if something's bad, I find something to enjoy or like about it but Little Mermaid seriously had nothing to offer. It was the first time I've seen something and absolutely hated it.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#22time for little mermaid
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:14pm

BraveSirRobbin, is that the Ursula LITTLE MERMAID bear?

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#23time for little mermaid
Posted: 2/12/08 at 9:44pm

Nope, it's the flounder one.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#24time for little mermaid
Posted: 2/12/08 at 9:56pm

I enjoyed the show very much! Thanks for posting.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Videos