Last RENT Cast

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#75re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:11pm

WinterSky,

The "fact" that Karmine Alers is in her 40's is and has been a rumor started up among Rentheads from awhile ago. It got started because she was in the audition process from the beginning and people thought her to be that old. When in fact she is on par when it comes to age as some of the OBC.

IBDB has never been wrong when it comes to things like the actors year of birth. I would have assumed that it would have cleared up this rumor but I guess not.

And, there is a difference between stage age and real age. Unlike film in theatre they don't really use a ton of makeup to make you look older or younger then you really are. In theatre there is the age you can play and then the age that you really are. Hower is the age that the English articles said he was.

And, I don't find it to be a good defense to say that Alers just has "mad goood genes."

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#76re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:21pm

It seems weird that Declan is leaving in 2 weeks and we still don't know who is the next Roger. I'm sure they'll announce it this week.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#77re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:51pm

More than a couple of her friends have told me she was in her 40's as well as more than a few cast members. There is nothing wrong with it since she is still amazing as Mimi.

As for IBDB never being wrong it currently lists Tim Howar's birthday as 1988, so make of that what you will.

Also isn't it supposed to be verbatim if you are quoting someone?
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 11:51 PM

tonio
#78re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:26am

Declan's contract will be extended for a few weeks until the final Roger is ready to come back (He is committed to another show right now). If the show extends, there will have to be a replacement Mimi (probably another returning cast member) as Tamyra will not extend. There is a new kid coming in as Mark and they might bring back a fave for Joanne.
Look for an announcement for an extension, if there is to be one, by the end of March.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#79re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:32am

It would be a real shame if Tamyra Gray ended up being Broadway's last Mimi. What a sad thought.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#80re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:47am

Tonio, are you sure about this? Because I've heard repeatedly that Declan's work visa expires and he can't extend.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:59am

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 12:59 AM

viola13
#82re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 1:14am

While I can't guarentee this is true, since I wasn't there, I believe there is a new actor coming in to play Roger. A friend of mine was at the show last Tuesday, and had multiple people who worked at the theatre tell him that they were taking publicity pictures (like the poster outside the theater) that afternoon with the new Mark and Roger, and pointed out the new Roger to my friend. As I said, I wasn't there, but that's quite a story to make up and tell me, since I wasn't even asking for the information. Of course, my friend and the people who told him could've just not recognized the actor, but they seemed to be pretty sure he was new. *shrugs* I'm hoping for a new Roger.

Craww
#83re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 1:21am

Really, I think it's a little disjointed for a closing cast to bring in a couple of old folks, and a new Mark, and (eugh) probably keep some of the stale cast that's already there. So I do hope that both Mark and Roger are new, so it's less awkward.

I really don't regret missing out on Rent in its last months, and that's kind of sad for me.

The "fact" that Karmine Alers is in her 40's is and has been a rumor started up among Rentheads from awhile ago.

Karmine Alers is 43.
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 01:21 AM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 3/9/08 at 1:24am

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 01:24 AM

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#85re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:53pm

Even though this Declan extension sounds unlikely to me, I'm not sure how I'll feel if it does happen.

On one hand, I've kinda missed Declan, so it'll be nice to see him again.

On the other hand, I'd kinda like to see a new Roger.

jarred03
#86re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:37pm

I love the fact that Tamyra is the last Mimi, she is the best singer I've seen as Mimi, way better then Daphne. Since Adam and Anthony just came back I think they should bring back Idna and Taye and Jesse back for the last month or two.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#87re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:52pm

Ha, well you're the only one. Have you only heard Tamyra and Daphne? They aren't the only two to play the part. There are more than a few actresses who have played Mimi who have stronger voices than Tamyra, especially in the role.

Don't get me wrong, Tamyra has a lovely voice but it doesn't work for RENT.

IDINA AND TAYE WILL NEVER COME BACK. Idina and Taye would require way too much security that (as evidenced when Adam and Anthony came back), the Nederlander is not able to provide.

I wish Jesse could come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Trekkie2
#88re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:18pm

Jesse said in interviews last year when A&A came back that he thought he was too old to do the show 8 times a week, so I doubt he's changed his mind.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:27pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 05:27 PM

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#90re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:28pm

I've been dying to find out who the last Roger will be. It's like the ultimate tease.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

tonio
#91re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:56pm

My information comes from a very reliable source who works for the show- Declan will be extended to allow the returning cast member who is busy doing another show out of state. While it might be true that Declan's current work Visa expires at some point soon, it might also be the case that he can get an extension. As long as his employer proves there is a need and as long as British and American Equity agree- that would not be an issue. Carey Shields worked here for years for both RENT and then Taboo and he was here on a work Visa. I also know of one other Canadian former cast member who was able to continue her work Visa as long as she worked for the show (she once told me it was the reason she stayed with the show as long as she had-so she could stay here).

I never saw the former Roger so I cannot attest to how good or bad he would be. I do agree however that stocking up with proven talent would be preferable to bringing in untested, "fresh" faces. I spoke with the incoming new boy as Mark today and he isn't even sure that he will be THE final Mark.

I am sorry to "tease" you guys with who will replace Declan, but as there is no contract signed as of this moment, it would be unfair to say and then have a last minute change. I do know there there is no "new guy" who has been sitting around waiting to come in as the new Roger, there just isn't.

As for getting information from the ushers and Lotto people-take it with a few grains of salt, they are as prone to gossip and misinformation as everyone else. There were new photos being taken on Tuesday, but Adam-the new Mark was the only new person I saw there.

Tamyra will only be the final Mimi, if there is no extension of the show-otherwise there will be a different person. We are nearly 100% sure she will bow out when her contract ends in June. She has a husband and kid back in CA that I am sure she wants to get back to for summer break.

Have a great week all.

lovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
#92re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:33am

SO excited for Adam to take over as Mark.

Along with typecastme22, I saw him in a few things here at NU before he was offered the role and left for NYC a bit ago. He's absolutely phenomenal.

stagemaster333 Profile Photo
stagemaster333
#93re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:36pm

Just to add more Adam love to the mix, I've also seen him in many shows at NU and he is amazing. I can't wait to see him on Broadway!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#94re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:47pm

It's going to get really confusing around here if people don't start specifying "Adam K." re: Last RENT Cast

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt