IS HE DEAD? is closing?

Dollypop
#1IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 1:32pm

I just got an e-blast from Thetermania offering a discount code for IS HE DEAD? and advertising the fact that the show is in its last weeks. Is this true?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 2/7/08 at 01:32 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 1:59pm

Hardly likely - Considering they just put out new ads for the show this past week... I'm sure it's 'just another discount code' - especially if it's the one that's slated to be valid through 03.30.08. IS HE DEAD? is staying at the Lyceum for a while longer, anyway.

markymatt
#2re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 2:17pm

Not sure about the email blast, but the website is advertising "last chance to save 50%". Maybe they meant to imply that the discount was ending, but it sounded more like the show is closing?

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 3:00pm

I think the show is still doing well.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

WOSQ
#4re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 3:15pm

Is He Dead? is doing marginal business. They have probably gone below their stop clause. The light at the end of the tunnel has gone out and it is a matter of time.

But using the term "Last Weeks" is the start of wringing the last few drops of blood out of the stone. The original run of Dreamgirls advertised 'last weeks' for about a year before they finally shut up shop.

The thing pushing Is He Dead? out of the Lyceum more than anything would be something like The 39 Steps which wants to move after it's Roundabout run is over or there's the Albee play in Princeton that got some good press too.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:01pm

I would hope not. I think it's doing alright. It's so screamingly funny and so far, Butz has clinched the Best Actor in a Play Tony in my book (That could change come springtime). It'd be a shame for it to close since plenty of voters may forget about him.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#6re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:50pm

I hope not. It is so much fun. Go see it. I went twice.
I love this play.
Norbert is hysterical. You need to see it. ADORABLE.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#7re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:55pm

I heard a stagehand mention last night that "39 Steps" was going to move into the Cort.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#8re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 5:01pm

"Is He Dead?" was dead on arrival. Surprised its lasted as long as it has. Lame show. A friend saw it last night (didn't like it) and said the house was pretty small.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#9re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 5:25pm

I got a discount from Theatermania as well, but it doesn't say anything about "last weeks."

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#10re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:24pm

I loved, loved it and Butz but am also surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#11re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 8:38pm

I hope Is He Dead? doesn't close. It's genuinely funny throughout, not like The 39 Steps which I felt ran out of ideas about halfway through. I'd be very surprised if they gave that a commercial transfer.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#12re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 9:30pm

I just got the same e-mail and it clearly says towards the top of the ad "Final weeks" in bold capital letters.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:48pm

re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?

I love this show. I hope it still lasts a bit longer, regardless of the "Last Weeks" proclamation.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#14re: IS HE DEAD? is closing?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:48pm

I hope not... I and the rest of the audience had a great time. Non-stop laughter, wonderful facial expressions, and Butz!

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Equus (11/8), Billy Elliot (11/8)

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#15SAVE IS HE DEAD!!!!!
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:32pm

That ad makes me sad.
It is a great farce. I might have to splurge on a third ticket.
If you like farce go and see it. The show is hysterical.
Especially the very end.

Sad to see it go. ;-(
I hope Norbert wins a Tony for his brilliant performance.
Oh, the whole cast are fabulous. MLB is under used but every sentence is worth the price of admission. And Jen's crossed eyes and sweet innocent acting is priceless.

Save IS HE DEAD. I was laughing so hard I was crying.
Don't upset me. Go and see it.
Call now!!!!!

http://www.ishedead.com
Updated On: 2/8/08 at 11:32 PM

Videos