pixeltracker

The Best Show To See On Broadway

The Best Show To See On Broadway

Swiftynifty15
#1The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 5:34pm

Tomorrow afternoon I am planning on seeing a matinee. I would like to see a show with discounts available on Broaday Box. I am really in to the Broadway scene personally. I am also going with my mother and sister, so I want it to be enjoyable for everybody. Waht should we see? Help me make up my mind!

What would you think of "Sunday In The Park....."
Updated On: 2/8/08 at 05:34 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 5:36pm

XANADU is the most enjoyable show on Broadway, in my opinion.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#2re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 5:41pm

August: Osage County is by far the best show currently playing on Broadway. Of course, its not light and fluffy (and not a musical) and is about one of the most dysfunctional families in history (and is 3.5 hours long), but it is absolutely brilliant, and time time whizzes by. I could have stayed for more.

I personally did not like this production of Sunday ... found it drab, passionless and quite dull. The original is so much better ... watch it on DVD and go see something else on Broadway.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#3re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 5:44pm

Go for it, it's a great show, although I don't think you can still purchase tickets for SITPWG for tomorrow online. Your best option would be TKTS. I hope you get to see it.

I agree with WestVillage completely about August Osage County. Amazing amazing amazing. I didn't find Sunday In The Park With George dull at all. The acting, especially on Jenna Russell's part was fantastic. Updated On: 2/8/08 at 05:44 PM

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#4re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 5:52pm

I'd be relucant to recommend Sunday ... I saw LOTS of walkouts at intermission, and everyone around me was dozing off during the show. Its very hit or miss as to whether someone is going to enjoy it or not.

justabwaybaby Profile Photo
justabwaybaby
#5re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:00pm

I loved Sunday... I didn't find it dull at all.

I've yet to see August: Osage County, but I've only heard good things about it.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#6re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:19pm

Definitely go and see SUNDAY - it's a fantastic production.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#7re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:21pm

go see AUGUST! I can't say enough good things about it.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#8re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:31pm

I've seen all three shows mentioned here. It depends what you're looking for. (I happen to adore all of the shows, but they're all really different.)

In NO partiuclar order:

August: Osage County: A stirring family drama. I really liked it. It is long, but as someone said, the time flies by. It is a heavy piece however and don't expect to leave feeling terrific. It's quite depressing.

Xanadu: This is the polar opposite of August: Osage County. It is a great, fun show. You will leave dancing and singing (and probably with the cast recording! The music is really catchy!)It is a non-thinking show with very good performances. It's very tongue-in-cheek.

Sunday in the Park With George: I really loved this show as well. It is really touching yet has some really funny moments as well. Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans are excellent. They really live up to their predecessors, in my opinion. And I liked this production. I went last Sat. evening and it was packed before and after intermission.

In short, I'd recommend any of the shows mentioned. It just depends what you're looking for and typically like.

Enjoy!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:44pm

August: Osage Country is pretty brilliant. I would see it. I love Sunday In The Park also, but August: Osage County is just one of those shows you shouldn't miss. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Yankeefan007
#10re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 6:46pm

August: Osage County, by and large, is the snob choice. It's a 3.5 hour family dramedy - O'Neill's Long Day's Journey into Night meets Shepard's Buried Child. It's a wonderfully written and directed show, with some mind-blowing acting. It's also the favorite for the Pulitzer and Tony. Still, the subject matter is very off-putting: a father's disappareance, a mother's drug addiction, alcoholism, incest, and a little TS Eliot thrown in for good measure.

Xanadu is over-hyped. It's an enjoyable show, if you're a fan of hardcore camp. It's not going to be the show that stays with you. The music is great.

Sunday in the Park is definitely an acquired taste. It's slow, well-acted show, but if you're a fan of musicals where you leave singing, this ain't for you.

I like CURTAINS.

kate2
#11re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 9:33pm

See Xanadu for a hilariously great time! I've seen it 5 times, soon to be 6. I just can't get enough. I disagree with Yankeefan in saying it won't stay with you, and I'm sure the rest of the "Du Crew" would also. The show has such heart and a phenomenal cast that makes you want to go back for more!

I recommend the onstage seats for $41.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 9:34pm

I went last Sat. evening and it was packed before and after intermission.

What a peculiar comment - I'm glad you had to make clear that audiences stay for the second act :)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#13re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 10:54pm

CURTAINS!

gilliane Profile Photo
gilliane
#14re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:05pm

It depends on the kind of thing you want to see. If they like musical comedy, Curtains was wonderful. If they can handle Monty Python, Spamalot is very funny. You can get discount tickets for Saturday matinees for both.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:37pm

AND let's not forget AVENUE Q - which I think is STILL one of the best shows on Broadway. The energy of the show hasn't died at all, which can often happen to shows with long-runs (RENT, anyone? SPAMALOT, anyone?).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#16re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:46pm

I agree with CapnHook, I saw Avenue Q again this past Monday, and it was packed with energy. Great great talent as well. However, I wouldn't go see Avenue Q with my mom, but maybe that's just me.

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#17re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:59pm

I definitely think that SUNDAY is the best choice. If not, then, Xanadu or Avenue Q.

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/9/08 at 12:06am

Curtains is wonderful. August:osage is NOT for snobs. It is a wonderful show. And for those who say it is for snobs...they don't get it! JMO

Just give the world Love.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#19re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Posted: 2/9/08 at 12:07am

How old are you and your family members? I will give you a list of some of my favorites:

1. Avenue Q (Over 12, some content not suitable for children)
2. IS HE DEAD: A very funny play. Good for the whole family.
3. 39 STEPS: A very funny play. FARCE.
4. November- A very funny play.
5. Xanadu- A very funny musical.
6. Legally Blonde: An adorable musical. Funny. Cute.
7. Spring Awakening- Explicit content over 15 suggested.
Not for everyone but one of my favorite musicals.

8. Forbidden Broadway- Better to see it after you see shows 1-7.
After seeing shows 1-7 you will realize there is no better show on earth. re: The Best Show To See On Broadway
Have fun.