pixeltracker

Annie - National Tour Commercial

Annie - National Tour Commercial

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 11:44am

Not sure if the same commercial plays wherever the tour is playing, but having the "everyday" person butcher the song "Tomorrow" (and serve as the shows advertisement) is really no incentive for me to go see this. Play some snippets of the show itself and I might be tempted to go.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:20pm

re: Annie - National Tour Commercial

Hey! Click on VIDEOS on the tab bar and you'll have a nice selection of footage/clips from the tour:

http://www.annieontour.com/main.html

DottieD'Luscia
#2re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:24pm

Thank you. Have you seen the current tour?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:30pm

Nope. I should, though. Even today I'm all for all things ANNIE. re: Annie - National Tour Commercial

Don't forget -- the Special Edition DVD of the ANNIE orphans documentary LIFE AFTER TOMORROW, directed by former ANNIE orphan, Julie Stevens, comes out on DVD on Tuesday 2/26/08. It will have extended interviews and a few little more goodies.

re: Annie - National Tour Commercial

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#4re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:35pm

I liked it. It is one of the only Broadway songs the everyday person knows. A lot of people grew up knowing the movie movie and adoring it.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#5re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:26pm

Ummm....do people really think little girls with a lisp who look like boys are still cute and right for this part?

Sounds harsh, but watch the videos and see if you are not annoyed too. The Annie in the videos has some affectations that just sound so unplesant to me.

If it's just me, I promise to stay away!
I'm not an "Annie" basher, and certainly don't pick fights with little girls! HAHA!

But since Brody posted the link, I watched. UGH!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#6re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:32pm

I love this show, I can't help it. Not to knock a child, but that sounded awful, painful even.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#7re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 1:49pm

I saw it November 28 it was really good.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#8re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 2:41pm

I assume you are in DC too as I just saw the commercial. I shamefully love Annie but won't be seeing this production. Tomorrow was painful. I saw the recent Wolf Trap production anyway and the cast seemed to be superior there (though I realize I am comparing a video to a live performance).

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

DottieD'Luscia
#9re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 2:47pm

I didn't think the girl in the clips was particularly good either. Then again, I'm spoiled, I was fortunate enough to see the original production with Andrea McArdle in the title role!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#10re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:11pm

I hope the tour is doing well!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

italianpride888
#11re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/13/08 at 4:57pm

That poor little girl sounds like she's trying to play "Chubby Bunny" while singing this song. Not the best I've heard.

GHOSTLIGHT2
#12re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/14/08 at 9:26am

Hmmm, the kid's voice in 'Tomorrow' seemed to have the strength of Allison Smith's but I DO hear what Everyone is commenting about.
She does not seem to have a lisp as such but Her voice IS distinctively accented and it is a shade distracting.
Also Her body language was very stiff, not a good thing if You want to put the audience at ease.

I saw ANNIE's third national tour, it was O.K. but it seemed unnecessarily long, nothing against Brigitte Walsh, Rhodes Reason or Kathleen Freeman (the stars)but it was as if they had done it so frequently that they were going through the motions on automatic pilot.
Consequently the show did not fly by, it dragged along.

Such is the problem: how do You recapture the magic?, can it be recaptured?
I hope to one day see 'Life After Tomorrow', I very much want to see that one, when this tour is over for Good or Ill it will be HER story as well.
I hope they do well and that the kid proves all of You wrong, and so should all of You, afterall- who really DOES know what 'Tomorrow' holds?

Updated On: 2/14/08 at 09:26 AM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/29/08 at 2:33pm

I caved and saw the tour stop last night at the Warner in DC. It was available at our 1/2 price ticket booth and the rear orchestra (center and sides) was nearly empty. Once I moved after being annoyed by a couple with Blackberries and a mother with a toddler who rattled plastic bags and talked in full voice, I enjoyed the show. Annie is not my usual fare, but I do have a softspot for it because it was my favorite as a kid. The actress playing Hannigan was a standout, both vocally and acting-wise, and much better than her predecessor on the tour when it made the last round in the DC area. We had an understudy for Annie (meaning we had a swing on for orphan Kate- who also happened to be the child wrangler- even from the way back of the cavernous Warner the age and size difference was really, really evident and slightly disturbing though I do realize tour logistics make it hard to have more kids acting as standbys). She did what all Annies do (belt precociously), but had many pitch problems in the beginning. Her vocals got better as the show went on. Her acting was first rate though, much better than the previous tour Annie I saw last year and less grating. The actor playing Daddy Warbucks was also strong but the rest of the cast fell flat, both in terms of vocals and acting.

Cute show- only wish I had been alive to see Andrea Mcardle.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 02:33 PM

DottieD'Luscia
#14re: Annie - National Tour Commercial
Posted: 2/29/08 at 2:36pm

Thanks for posting. I was almost tempted to get a ticket during the week at ticketplace, but decided against it. The Washington Post didn't even have a review for the show. Now that you reviewed it, I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

Videos