pixeltracker

S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!

S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!

Theatre101 Profile Photo
Theatre101
#1S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:52pm

Call me crazy, but as of this point, I think S. Epatha Merkerson has given the best performance by a Lead Actress in a play this year.

If we are to compare certain performances, I just don't think there is any question of how brilliant her performance was compared to others.

I just saw AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY this weekend, and while I though the play itself was a masterwork, I don't think either Deanna Dunnagan nor Amy Morton were nearly as good as Merkerson as Lola. Dunnagan, while great onstage, especially seemed like a mere supporting player at times in her own play. And Morton's work, while intruiging, never really overwhelmed me or completely broke my heart the way Ms. Merkerson did in COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA!

I'm sure most will disagre, and as of this point in time, (I know Linney & McDormand are still yet to come) S. Epatha Merkerson recreated a character in a play that would not be your typical Broadway fare in 2008, and completely reinvigorated an iconic role to perfection.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#2re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:55pm

Don't forget Anika, her name will likely be in the mix.

Theatre101 Profile Photo
Theatre101
#2re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:59pm

Ah yes, Anika. I saw CAT last week as well. The girl is good, but not nearly as good as the 3 ladies I mentioned in my first post. If Linney or McDormand completely screw up, I could see Rose getting a nomination. BUT, while she was decent, I just couldn't take sitting through that show one more time. And truth be told, she's in a poor production of it, and I think that will ultimately hurt her.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#3re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:06pm

you honestly don't think Anika will get nominated? This girl is the Broadway star of Tomorrow, today.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:08pm

Ms. Merkerson is an amazing actress and certainly deserves a Tony.

However, I think August has that category sewn up.

Theatre101 Profile Photo
Theatre101
#5re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:16pm

I think Anika MAY be nominated, again, it depends on Laura Linney & Francis McDormand's performances.

Anika, while a beautiful girl, is in a play that we have seen 3 times in the last 15 yrs alone on Broadway. We've seen the role done by soooooo many actresses that it didn't seem fresh to me, it didnt seem like a new role anymore. Anika's Cat seemed like a directed turn that was laudable but not award worthy.

S. Epatha on the other had recreated a role that hasn't been seen on Broadway in over 50 yrs by a legendary performer who is known, especially for the role of Lola. While, I'll admit to not having seen the movie until after I saw this play, that performance that was given at the Biltmore was trancending a certain time and space and was giving audiences much more than a glimpse into the past, but a full throtle look into broken, yearning woman who stopped at nothing to hold onto a life that wasn't worth holding onto. Brantley said it best, simply heartbreaking.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#6re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:24pm

who would knock Anika out? Even if everyone you mentioned is nominated she still has a spot in there. you have S epatha, Frances and and Laura, thats still 2 spots. I doubt BOTH deanna and Amy will get the nomination, so Anika has her spot. And even if its a bad production (i've yet to see it, im hoping to rush it this week or next), she has the talent to RISE above.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:41pm

While Merkerson will certainly be nominated, Morton will probably win.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:54pm

Morton, Dunagan, and Merkerson are locks, IMO. Liverpool, both ladies from AUGUST will certainly be nominated, it's just the kind of play that has the major buzz this season (kind of like two pair of actors from COAST OF UTOPIA getting nominated in the same category last year).
Rose is giving an exhilarating performance as Maggie, the Cat but I think McDormand and Linney are just the kind of actresses that the committee will want to acknowledge. If Morton or Dunagan had been considered featured, then Rose would undoubtedly be nominated.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:08am

Merkerson's performance in SHEBA was forgettable.

She has nothing on Rose, Morton, or Eve Best.

In my opinion, Dunagan's performance is overrated up the wazoo. She acts like an alien on stage.

The Tony is Morton's.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#10re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:41am

Maybe Morton was off the day you saw it? I don't know, because I was certainly overwhelmed by her character.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:12am

I've heard from just about everyone that Morton is winning the award, I made the mistake of seeing DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE over AUGUST last time I was in NY so I can't really give much of an opinion. I'll be there in June before the Tonys and judge for myself.
Regardless, based on buzz alone, it's clear that Dunagan and Morton will both get the nomination (interestingly enough, Dunagan won the Jeff award over Morton in Chicago).
Was Eve Best declared as leading, WannaBe? If that's the case, it makes the race much more interesting.
It's a great year for leading ladies in plays, fantastic worthy performances will inevitably be left out. I am crossing my fingers for Rose though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#12re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 6:48am

Would Morton be considered for Supporting Actress and not lead. I will say that Ms. Merkerson gave a terrific performance that is worthy of a Tony nomination, but I think the Tony will go to Ms. Dunagan who was smashing!

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#13re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:49am

I agree! Thought Epatha was WONDERFUL!
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 09:49 AM

Yankeefan007
#14re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:05am

Merkerson played up the subtext but not any of the naturalism of Lola. Unfortunately, (for me, anyway) it blended into the instantly forgettable nature of the production.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:33am

Would Morton be considered for Supporting Actress and not lead.

It was determined by the Tony Committee that both Morton and Dunagan will be considered for the Leading Actress in a Play category.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#16re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:51am

Dunagan has my vote and is my pick.
Most importantly, she'll be in the show when it transfers next door to the Music Box. Amy Morton will not-she'll be back in Chicago directing a play. This means less Tony voters will have seen her performance. (Did they tape it for the Library of the Performing Arts yet? or at all?)

Perhaps there will be a tie? (it has happened before)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#17re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:04pm

Word is the new Lett's play has been delayed and Morton will be transferring with the show to the Music Box.

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#18re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:04pm

A little OT - I didn't know Morton wasn't staying with the show when it transfers! That's too bad. I thought she was the best on that stage, which is saying a lot - I am crossing my fingers for her to not only be nominated but to win. She's definitely my favorite.

*ETA - we posted at the same time, Ray. Hope this rumor turns out to be true! I was planning a return visit just for her!

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 12:04 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:05pm

Ray, Eve Best has been declared Leading.

And yes, bwaygal1, Ray is correct, Morton is remaining with the production as it transfers to the Music Box. She is no longer attached to directing that play in Chicago.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Joy Behar Profile Photo
Joy Behar
#20re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:08pm

my girl, s. epatha, should win. definitely. i don't know if she will, but she should. beautiful performance.

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#21re: S. Epatha Merkerson should win the Lead Actress Tony!
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:17pm

^ i agree! i was so overcome with emotion by the end of Sheba. Actually, i was an absolute mess. Granted, i cry a lot during emotional shows but i looked like i had been in some sort of an accident after the show. merkerson's performance was so sweet and sad. i was completely heart-broken for her. during intermission i was just praying that the damn dog would come back bc this woman deserved SOMETHING good. right at the end of act one when she's calling for sheba...omg i wanted to die

one of the reasons i thought this performance was so great was that the character of lola felt so real to me...like this poor pathetic, yet oddly optimistic woman was someone i knew. i couldnt stop thinking about lola for days after i saw the show.

on a side note, i thought the zoe kazan was totally uninteresting.

Videos