Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:11pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/116037.html

So looks like it will be

A CATERED AFFAIR*
GLORY DAYS
IN THE HEIGHTS
PASSING STRANGE

*XANADU if AFFAIR gets panned.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:18pm

I find the use of the word "likely" in each of the first two paragraphs interesting. And why are we assuming that this show is going to be worthy of a Tony nomination?

ItsCalledHistory
#2re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:18pm

Of course the article says AIMING for Broadway this season - so no shake-up quite yet. While it seems like it could very well happen, let's get the show on Broadway before we speculate the best musical nominees. And while we're at it let's wait for A Catered Affair and Cry Baby to offically open too... despite the buzz on both.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:26pm

Assuming it gets to Broadway as the producers are AIMING for, yes, of course - a given.

But judging from the buzz from the Signature Theatre production, and by buzz alone, I'd say it's a stronger contender than THE LITTLE MERMAID, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, and CRY-BABY.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#4re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:28pm

Lord only when it'll actualy 'GET HERE' - I mean, seriously? Every article I've read on the 'transfer' states "LIKELY" within the first few sentences. Capn, I don't know where your instinctions lie either ... Have you *seen* the show before? Do you *really* think it's worthy of a 'Best Musical' nomination in place of the Fierstein-Bucchino-Doyle trifecta that makes 'the most of silence' in the poignant and emotionally-satisfying A CATERED AFFAIR, or even the John Waters' inspired musical romp that is CRY-BABY playing the Marquis? Let's wait for it to actually go-up first - Again, NO DATES have been announced, so let's just ... take it one step at a time.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#5re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:29pm

Remember all that really positive buzz for "Legally Blonde?"

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#6re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:30pm

That's sounds right. But again let's not ASSUME anything now.. look at CRY-BABY-almost everyone thought that it would be nominated too...but as the day goes by-- there's more and more negative word of mouth on the show...

Also XANADU got better reviews than IN THE HEIGHTS (let's not forget that) though I am not saying that's its sure to be nominated, if XANADU wont get any nominations.. most likely it will probably fold. re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season

We can still not assume A CATERED AFFAIR - considering Ive heard that CRY-BABY was more enjoyable than ACA and it has better music.. I dont know if that's possible, since CRY-BABY' score is really forgettable...more & more reviews I read- they are all saying the same thing. We are not really sure about GLORY DAYS neither- Look at CRY-BABY- its getting butchered everyday here & at ATC.

For now- the safest bets are PASSING STRANGE and unfortunately- which might disappoint a lot of you- is XANADU....then IN THE HEIGHTS....

I guess.. It looks like this year is the year of musicals with small scenery! It seems to me that this three musicals wont get any shots at Best New Musical- namely YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, THE LITTLE MERMAID & CRY-BABY - i know its early but word of mouth is getting worse than ever on this show. I guess they underestimated the New Yorkers (& the Northeast) theater goers..

J*
Updated On: 3/19/08 at 02:30 PM

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#7re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:32pm

I think that Xanadu has just as good a chance for a nomination.

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#8re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:32pm

Updated On: 4/25/08 at 02:32 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:34pm

No official announcement has been made. Just a report from Variety saying that it is likely that the show will open this season. Nothing sure yet.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#10re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:40pm

"I guess they underestimated the New Yorkers (& the Northeast) theater goers.. "

65 percent of theatergoers in 2007 were tourists.

Not an argument for/against awards but for audiences alone - shows that don't require a mastery of english fare better with the foreign tourists for obvious reasons. That's one contributing factor to Phantom's (for example) long run. You can go not knowing a word of english and understand what's going on.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#11re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:40pm

They could pull a Xanadu and open as the first show of next season. This late in the game, and with it coming right out of left field, it would have to be Pulitzer worthy to steal any awards.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#12re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:49pm

We have NO reason to assume "Glory Days" would receive a Best Musical Tony nomination over "Xanadu."

"Xanadu" was unamimously praised by the major critics and DEFINITELY deserves a spot on the Tony nominations roster for Best Musical.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#13re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:57pm

Xanadu definitely deserves a nomination for best musical. It's really quite good. (Which I didn't expect when I first saw it. I was pleasantly surprised!)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#14re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:06pm

Only time will tell what will happen cannot wait to see though...

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#15re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:08pm

"Don't count your chickens until they're hatched"

re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season

(just kidding, okay?)

re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
J*
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 03:08 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#16re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:10pm

Re: Glory Days. Over 40 years of committed theatregoing, I have seen MANY instances of a show getting positive (or even rave) notices out-of-town or elsewhere (e.g., Status Quo Vadis in Chicago; Seussical in Boston; Boeing-Boeing in London) and then laying an egg in NYC. IMO, Glory Days should take a deep breath and make sure that everything's up to par before attempting Broadway (or even Off-Broadway).

Of course, I've seen it work the other way (think Funny Thing in Washington, DC).

In the end, it's all a crap shoot.

BroadwayEd

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#17re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:25pm

LOL @ Jaystarr

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 5:50pm

Sorry - I guess I assumed that it was general knowledge that this news article meant "likely." Since everyone seems to be getting angry at the thought that I didn't state this in my post, let me re-try using kiddie lingo:

Assuming that the production of GLORY DAYS does open this season, this could potentially now take a spot in the 4 nods for Best Musical. The buzz has been strong for the show - which doesn't say much ie CRY-BABY's out of town raves and now pans from NY preview audiences.

Better?

RE: XANADU...I strongly agree it should get a nod. It's my favorite musical of the season, followed by PASSING STRANGE. But I think it is in danger of getting snubbed *if* A CATERED AFFAIR becomes a strong contender. ACA is coming at a time when a fresh new show could be the talk of the town, but if it tanks it'll get dismissed very quickly.

--Aristotle

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#19re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:05pm

Glory days wont be nominated.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:06pm

I wouldn't assume to nominate Glory Days, even if it does arrive.

NYC10040
#21re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:12pm

Liverpool...have you seen Glory Days?

I think we should all hope that a show that has completely original book, music, and lyrics does get nominated. Perhaps it will make more producers take chances on younger writers.

I think it is unfair to judge a show's chances of nominations before it even opens (or before it is confimed that it is opening for that matter).

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#22re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:13pm

Oy the shills for this show are ALREADY HERE? god save us.

NYC10040
#23re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:21pm

I am in NO WAY connected to the show...I happened to see it at Signature, and I enjoyed it immensely.

You, on the other hand, avoided my question....did you see it??? If not, I kindly ask that you reserve your opinions regarding the show (and its award chances) until you have indeed seen it. Thanks!

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#24re: Tony Awards Shake-up: GLORY DAYS Arrives to Broadway THIS Season
Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:21pm

Any chance they'll nominate Little Mermaid just to boost Tony ratings? More chance to get the Disney audience to tune in if the Disney show is performing a number.

Videos