pixeltracker

A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????

A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:28pm

Just back from this evening's performance of "A Catered Affair." Where to begin???

For a group of people planning a wedding, they all seem rather unhappy. Does no one smile at all?? I understand planning a wedding is stressful, but no one, save for Fierstein's character, seemed to be the least bit happy about the impending nuptials. This problem rests solely on the shoulders of Fierstein's disjointed book, which does very little to provide us with any sort of context for what is taking place.

However, the show's biggest problem and liability is its score. I cannot describe it any better than my pal Withoutatrace, who correctly describes it as "a tuneless nothing." The score is one ballad after another, but not one of them is the least bit memorable. Honestly, it would have worked better without the music at all.

Doyle's direction is sloppy, with a number of scenes, particularly the show's final moments, very oddly staged.

The cast does their best with what their given. Matt Cavanaugh, however, is unfortunately completely wasted. He is onstage for maybe, MAYBE, 15 minutes. Why not give such a talented performer a song to sing, or at least a decent scene? Unfortunately, the same is true for Tom Wopat, who is also given very little to do, save for his one song near the end of the show.

Fierstein at least is able to breathe some life into the dreary proceedings. However, as the book writer, he obviously gave himself the best lines in the show.

Faith Prince does her absolute best, but she can't rise above the weak material. Patti has nothing to worry about.

Honestly, the cast member who made the biggest impression was the woman who played the Caterer (Heather MacRae). She had about six lines, and got a laugh for all of them.

The audience response tonight was very muted. No standing ovation, and no enthusiastic applause during the curtain calls. A certain recent Tony nominee, who was seated next to me, also did not seem very enthusiastic about the show.

The show is not a complete disaster, but it is completely forgettable.

Updated On: 3/31/08 at 11:28 PM

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#2re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:31pm

How was Heather MacRae?

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:32pm

I love Heather MacRae...she was in Here's Where I Belong, a one-performance flop musical from 1968!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:33pm

"For a group of people planning a wedding, they all seem rather unhappy. Does no one smile at all?? I understand planning a wedding is stressful, but no one, save for Fierstein's character, seemed to be the least bit happy about the impending nuptials. This problem rests solely on the shoulders of Fierstein's disjointed book, which does very little to provide us with any sort of context for what is taking place. "

You completely missed the point. And you can't blame Harvey. The fact that this wedding has become such a huge, stressful ordeal is part of the original story.

But, you truly, absolutely didn't get it if you feel this way.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#4re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:34pm

I like her too. She's a friend of mine so I'm a bit biased, but I love her talent.

Was Harvey actually good? I find that he can't be understood at all anymore. As time goes on his speech gets harder and harder to decypher.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#5re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:42pm

MacRae also played Sheila in Broadway's "Hair."

re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#6re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:45pm

It's a snore-fest

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#7re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:47pm

for some people

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:48pm

WAT did you see, "Here's Where I Belong"?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:49pm

I was born in 1982, Dottie, as you well know...

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#10re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:50pm

I just had to ask because you threw the year 1968 in there!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

FIERCEY516
#11re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:52pm

it's not as bad as "Cry-Baby" so stop whining!

the score is solid. nothing special but it's fine.

Nick Plasia
#12re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:59pm

The score is boring and achingly undramatic; he can't
write a theatre song to save his life.

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#13re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 1:54pm

I thought the score was really boring. I love sweet small musicals without major production numbers (Falsettos, for example) but this was just too much tedium to bear.

Matt Cavenaugh is completely wasted in this. I'm glad to see him back on stage, but he must be sleepwalking through this thing. I am looking forward to his break-out role.

How unrealistic is Harvey's take on the flamboyant uncle? I mean, over the top maybe??

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#14re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 2:05pm

So, is it still going to be nominated for Best Musical?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#15re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 2:52pm

So it sounds like it hasn't changed much since San Diego. Oh well.

We thought the same thing y'all are thinking. Boring, and it'd be better as a straight play.

I've seen the original movie and Harvey completely bloated the part. He needs to take a step back and tell himself, "I am not the center of attention". The original uncle wasn't really flamboyant at all. If he was gay, it went over my head. I just think that's Harvey being Harvey. "The gays need to represent!"

At least we got some eye candy with Matt.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#16re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:00pm

I'm still looking forward to seeing this.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#17re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:13pm

it is a shame seeing as he has written some amazing songs before... Unexpressed and Playbill just to name a few.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#18re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:21pm

oh I do hope all of you who hate this show will bless us with posting in every a catered affair thread over and over how much you hate it. It will be just like grey gardens to have that.

I dont comprehend why people obsess over the negative or take joy in hating something.

And Harvey's portrayal is not unrealistic. People like that character did exist in those days. Read up on your lgbt history.

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#19re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:26pm

It sounds as if Heather MacRae is the only reason to see this show. (Hey, I loved her as Aunt Mafalda on "Clarissa Explains It All"!) I still plan to see it.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#20re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:27pm

Hey, I'm the biggest Grey Gardens fan ever.

A Catered Affair is boring.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:36pm

Just because their opinion is a negative one: they are certainly allowed to express it. I would never want to ONLY read good reveiws...everything ISN"T good...and it deserves to be pointed out.

Sometimes it might keep me from seeing a show, and sometimes it won't. JUST because something is on b'way, doesn't mean it's wonderful.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#22re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:41pm

Oh no no no.

I'm not dismissing someone sharing thier negative review. I'm dismissing those who have and will continue to post it every chance they get.

And, no, ms macrae is one of many reasons to see this show.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#23re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:46pm

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I like hearing both accounts about this show, but I have absolutely no desire to see it.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#24re: A Catered Affair (3/31/08)...why????
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:59pm

This is the third bad thing I've heard about this show. I'm going out for Gypsy on the 23 and was gonna catch either this or Cry Baby to see the new shows. Now I don't know which one to see.