pixeltracker

Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?

Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?

jagfkb
#1Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:55pm

With Legally Blonde's recent "success", have there been any other notable successful shows which weren't honored with a nomination for the tony?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:59pm

LEGALLY BLONDE is still a flop.

AIDA wasn't nominated for Best Musical, and it was a hit that ran for four years.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:00pm

Legally Blonde is a notable succesful show?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:05pm

He means financially.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:08pm

AIDA wasn't nominated for Best Musical

And rightfully so. I still don't know how it managed the Best Score win.

Oh! Calcutta! and The Magic Show hold the top two slots for longest runs without a Best Musical nomination. As a matter of fact, Calcutta is the fifth longest running Broadway musical (including longest running musical revival) and didn't receive any award nominations whatsoever.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:38pm

He means financially.

Legally Blonde is a notable succesful show financially?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jagfkb
#6re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:49pm

What i mean is that it's on the track right now to not only making back it's profits, but it's spawning a national tour, the score and musical are becoming more & more popular with the MTV recording (If you think not, walk into a northern Jersey Hih School and start singing Omigod Yoy Guys & see how many teens start singing with you), and it's starting a TV show. That's a pretty good success to me, considerring that it wasn't even ominated for Best Musical, OR won ANY award other than the one ensemble award (And really, who the hell goes to see the show JUST because of that).

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#7re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:57pm

Oh Calcutta
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Magic Show

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:58pm

Godspell

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#9re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:59pm

Jekyll and Hyde
Beatlemania
Victor/ Victoria (well... that was at least as successful as Blonde)

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#10re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:30pm

Beat me to it..Jekyll & Hyde! Ran for just about four years, and had some "big" people in it...but it was still a finicial flop.

#11re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:53pm

Mister Matt I hate to be put in the position of defending Aida, but had it been nominated for best musical, there is not a shred of doubt that it would have won.
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 07:53 PM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#12re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:55pm

Joe, just admit it, you love it. ADMIT IT!!!!!

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#13re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:54pm

Legally Blonde is NOT a flop it's finshing it's first year this month. Pirate Queen was a flop.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#14re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:36pm

A flop, in the strictest sense, is a show which did not recoup its initial investment. Legally Blonde has not done so. Technically, I don't think this makes it a flop (I think of flops are shows which haven't recouped once they close), but insofar as this thread it is.

The Bernadette Peters Gypsy revival ran for a year and a half and didn't make back its investment. Thus, flop. Length of run has nothing to do with it.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:43pm

defyingravity07, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE won six Tony Awards including Best Musical, ran for more than two years, and was still a flop.

It didn't make a penny. Any show that loses money is a flop.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#16re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:49am

Aida is the first show that comes to my mind. I honetly think it was robbed a nomination and a very possible win.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#17re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:52am

Actually, "Camelot" did not get nominated for Best Musical and there were only three musicals nominated for Best Musical that year. ("Bye, Bye Birdie" won.)

"110 in the Shade" didn't get nominated. Though that was the year of "She Loves Me", "High Spirits" "Hello Dolly" and "Funny Girl".

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:55am

"Mister Matt I hate to be put in the position of defending Aida, but had it been nominated for best musical, there is not a shred of doubt that it would have won. "

I absolutely agree with that sentiment.

BlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
#19re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:11am

a show like Millie may not have made it's initial investment, but I wouldn't call it a straight-up flop-- even though I know you guys define a flop as an initial production not making back its investment. Millie has been done by every single regional theatre in country, and has had successful eq and non-eq tours.. i think it's ridiculous to call things cut and dry flops when a show as accessible as Millie will be done for years to come.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#20re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:50am

and continue to suck, for years and years to come.

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#21re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:52am

"Mister Matt I hate to be put in the position of defending Aida, but had it been nominated for best musical, there is not a shred of doubt that it would have won."

"Aida is the first show that comes to my mind. I honetly think it was robbed a nomination and a very possible win."

So true.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:59am

i think it's ridiculous to call things cut and dry flops when a show as accessible as Millie will be done for years to come.

By those standards, every show put on anywhere has enough merit to be found somewhere.

Sorry, this is Broadway:

Recouped = HIT
Not = FLOP

We are not talking about the book or score, but about a specific production on Broadway. If Millie has 345669 succesful community theater and regional productions all over the universe, great. The Broadway production was a flop.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#23re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 2:04am

Blueroses321, it is not our definition. It is Variety's.

For years (well since the 1950s anyhow)they publish an annual tabulation of the season's HITS (shows that paid off) and FLOPS (shows thst didn't.)

A running show that has not recouped is not a FLOP. It is classed as STATUS UNDETERMINED until it either recoups or closes. That is the technical status of LEGALLY BLONDE right now.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

BlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
#24re: Successful Shows which DIDN'T get nominated for Best musical?
Posted: 4/2/08 at 2:05am

not disagreeing with you at all...just stating the issue.

i honestly don't care what people call it.

Updated On: 4/2/08 at 02:05 AM