News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

ooshizzz146 Profile Photo
ooshizzz146
#1Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 10:59am

I dunno how peeps think Gray Gardens should have won the Tony against Spring Awakening. There's no comparison.

What would you rather see? A boring musical about two old ladies who live with a bunch of cats or a totally sweet teen musical with rock music and naked hot people?

DUH!

Roscoe
#2re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 11:03am

Oh, dear. There are times when I'm very embarassed to be a fan of SPRING AWAKENING.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

DG
#2re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

Doesn't anyone just masterbate anymore?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

DON'T. FEED. THE. TROLL.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 11:46am

Why did momma bore you? You are totally effed!

Grey Gardens has some of the most beautifully written and sung compositions ever to be on a Broadway stage performed by two of the finest working stage actresses of all time. Sorry you didn't pick up on that because you were too distracted and enthralled by brief nudity.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 11:48am

Oh, dear. There are times when I'm very embarassed to be a fan of SPRING AWAKENING.

Me too.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 11:48am

Haha! Well said.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

MethodActor
#7re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:07pm

If the only reason SA is a great show is because of hot, naked peeps...you SO missed the boat on it. (and yes, I am embarrassed to admit to liking the show based on many of the fan base)

Grey Gardens was a sad and moving show that depicting a real tragedy/true event. That you can't see the value in something fully clothed is sad. It was beautiful.

A Grey Spring Profile Photo
A Grey Spring
#8re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:13pm

Both were amazing pieces of theatre that will stay in my memory for a long time. Both moved me to the point of tears. Christine Ebersole gave a terrific performance, one of the best I have ever seen. John Gallagher, Jr. was a fantastic Mortiz, a performance that will be hard to top.

Last year, I was happy with the outcome, but I wished that Grey Gardens recieved more awards, especially book. I'm disappointed that Gardens didn't stay open longer, I would've loved to have seen it again.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:18pm

I also love Spring Awakening, but it was mainly due to John Gallagher Jr.'s heartbreaking performance. He deserved that Tony without a doubt.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#10re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:22pm

Could barely sit through Spring Awakening once. Wanted to leave at intermission but the person I was with wanted to stick it out. To each there own.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:28pm

Doesn't anyone just masturbate anymore?

That's exactly what I was wondering...go visit xtube or something, kid.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#12re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:34pm

I couldn't get thru the CD leave alone contemplate sitting in a theatre seeing 'Spring Awakening'!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#13re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:52pm

There's no show called GRAY GARDENS!

J*

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#14re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:54pm

double post. Updated On: 4/29/08 at 12:54 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 1:06pm

Oh, J*, do you REALLY think you are the person who should be judging other people's spelling?

PEACE.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#16re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 1:07pm

Oh I love you, Sue!

I am deeply touch that you are monitoring all my posts & moves... I am so flattered!
I am your new baby! yay! Thank you! re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

J*

Updated On: 4/29/08 at 01:07 PM

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#17re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 1:19pm

Oh good lord, didn't we get enough of this comparison last year???

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#18re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 1:34pm

Thats how sad she is Jay!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#19re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 1:43pm

re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening

I so sad...boo who.

PEACE.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/29/08 at 2:14pm

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 02:14 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#21re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 2:47pm

Ohhshizzz - I hate you.

that's all.

chrysler99 Profile Photo
chrysler99
#22re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 3:29pm

I could barely sit through parts of Grey Gardens. I still think it should have been a play with music (especially in the 1st Act).

broadwaywriter Profile Photo
broadwaywriter
#23re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 3:43pm

Once again, thank you very much. Spring Awakening is cool, but are you honestly calling Grey Gardens stupid because there is no nudity? Grey Gardens is a wonderful piece of theatre. Updated On: 4/29/08 at 03:43 PM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#24re: Gray Gardens vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 4/29/08 at 4:18pm

Siiigh. To the first poster, calling Grey Gardens boring and Spring Awakening cool cause of the hot naked people...that's just stupid.

On the other hand, I still don't understand why people still call Grey Gardens an unequaled masterpiece. I think in this case two OUSTANDING actresses took material that was too inconsistent and did amazing things with it. There were too many moments in that show that were so good that were bogged down by other moments that I personally think did not work at all.

Yes, there were moments of utter brilliance (Will You? and Another Winter anyone???), but these moments were bogged down by a flimsy first act musically and dramatically (save for the end of the act).

In most other cases, I would be one to champion a show like Grey Gardens over Spring Awakening (a more intelligent, thoughtful, smaller, original type of show) over a more "accessible" or fluff type of show. We NEED to have more shows like Grey Gardens or Piazza (which I thought absolutely brilliant) or even Catered Affair which I have yet to see.

But here, I feel as if Spring Awakening as a show stayed at a relatively high level of consistency throughout, as opposed to Grey Gardens which was too inconsistent as a whole.

That being said....we realllllly need to have more shows in the style and mold of Grey Gardens.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Videos