Hairspray Review 05/18

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#1Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/20/08 at 11:02pm

This is the only show on my schedule where I am not sitting within the first 5 rows and I asked for advice in a previous thread as to whether I should try for front row lottery (as I love being close) or to keep my tickets in N row.

I am glad that I kept my seat in N - the theater is so intimate (no leg room however but that's a small price to pay).

This was the first time I had seen Hairpsray and as I expected I really enjoyed it.

Marissa Perry gave a great performance as Tracy Turnblad; George Wendt was ok as Edna, however he really played it as man in a dress. Therefore I did not find a real mother/daughter connection between Edna and Tracy. Sometimes it worked well as he got laughs with his deep voice but I wished I saw him as a female rather than a man in a dress. Even Divine had a femininity about her in the original film.

I was disappointed with both Karen Mason (Velma Von Tussle) and Ashley Spencer as Amber. Funnily enough when Spencer first came on my eyes were drawn to her and I thought she was a great chorus girl however as soon as it was apparent that she was Amber and started acting and singing I wasn't that impressed. Both actresses were ok but not what I was hoping for.

The standout for me was Niki Scalera as Penny. She made me laugh constantly and totally seemed to be having a ball. Both Mason and Spencer seemed a little bored by it all in comparison.

The choreography and lighting was wonderful and I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to have seen this on opening night before all of the hype started. It would have been mindblowing.

4.5 stars

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/20/08 at 11:03pm

How was Jenifer Lewis?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#2re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/20/08 at 11:15pm

She was good. Fabulous voice - a little bit self indulgent though I thought - yes we know you can hold that note for a looooong time, and that one, yes and that one too....

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#3re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:36am

Thanks for the review!

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#4re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 7:10am

I saw Hairspray in March and I thought George Wendt was very lovable in the role. Kevin Meaney was in it then and the two of them doing "Your Timeless to Me" was both funny and sweet. I never quite understand why Edna has always been a man dressed as a woman, but I guess it emphasizes the theme of the play that there really is no "normal".

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

zamedy
#5re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 12:20pm

Thanks for your review!

When I saw HAIRSPRAY last month, I actually thought Ashley Spencer was a VERY GOOD Amber. Great voice. Good acting. She made me want to pretty much hate her character, which meant she was doing a good job. As far as Karen Mason, I thought she was fine. She didn't blow me away... but I've never seen a Velma in that role who did. I think that has more to do with the character, and the material the actress in that role has to play with. Would have loved to have seen Mary Birdsong's take on it... and of course, Linda Hart who originated it.

All in all, four and a half stars out of 5 isn't bad at all. Sounds like you had a great time. And it sounds like Marissa is growing into the role of Tracy nicely.

Glad to see and hear that HAIRSPRAY's still 'holding up' after almost six years on Broadway!
Updated On: 5/21/08 at 12:20 PM

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#6re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 12:24pm

Who did you see as Link? Was Ashley Parker Angel back?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

burnsy Profile Photo
burnsy
#7re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 1:25pm

I know this question wasn't directed to me but I'll answer for Bretty. I asked him the same question at Cry-baby stagedoor and he said he saw Ashley Parker Angel as Link.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#8re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:30pm

Thanks burnsy, glad Angel is healed.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:30pm

mc1227 -- the reason Edna Turnblad is played by a male is simply because the creative team wanted to pay homage to John Waters and his concept of Edna.

John Waters, who created/wrote/directed the original 1988 film created the role of Edna Turnblad for his friend and star of all his films: Glenn Milstead (aka Divine). Divine NEVER played a drag role or a transvestite in his entire film career -- he always played women. Period. Edna IS a woman and is always played this way. Glenn Milstead (aka Divine) passed away in 1988 shortly after the release of the film. He never got to experience the success the film generated later.

When HAIRSPRAY was being adapted into a Broadway musical, the creative team kept to the concept of Edna being played by a male actor and this remains the rule -- no female will ever play Edna... Edna will always be played by a male.

(a young) John Waters and Glenn Milstead:
re: Hairspray Review 05/18

Divine:

Divine as Edna Turnblad:

Colleen Fitzpatrick (aka Vitamin C) as Amber; Debbie Harry as Velma, Divine as Edna and Ricki Lake as Tracy:

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#10re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:37pm

Thanks brett!

As usual a fab. review! I am glad you finally posted this review! This is the show that you saw last sunday before we all hangout? yay! I am glad that you like it.

Tonight is your last night in NYC! Enjoy your 2 shows today - A : OC & The Little Mermaid! and Have a safe trip home to Australia! re: Hairspray Review 05/18

as always your brother star!

J*

Updated On: 5/21/08 at 02:37 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#11re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:58pm

Thanks Brody...never saw the original movie but would like to see it and compare. I really enjoyed the show.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#12re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 3:10pm

Vitamin C! No way!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 3:29pm

Yup. Pop star Vitamin C's 'real' name is Colleen Fitzpatrick and she played Amber in the original 1988 HAIRSPRAY film.

KristenF
#14re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:21pm

I just loved Ashley Spencer's portrayal of Amber when I saw the show! I thought that she did a great job. I have not seen Karen Mason perform, but I've seen Ashley in the show twice, and she was wonderful both times.

mauriposa
#15re: Hairspray Review 05/18
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:28pm

Thanks for the review. I might catch Hairspray the next time I'm in the city and was wondering how it's been lately.

Videos