New MY FAIR LADY film

puppetman2
#50re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:18pm

There is a MAJOR fault with the film and that is Audrey Hepburn. She is fine for Eliza after the ball, but she is much too lady like in the beginning scenes. Her transformation to being a LADY does not have any contrast which is essential for the story to work. I find it very difficult to watch the film for this reason.

A new version could correct this fault and make the film the success that the original isn't.

It Sucks To Be Me

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#51re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:22pm

What's with all the Anne Hathaway love on this board? I mean I like her too, but I don't think I've ever seen BWW so united over anything, except for hating Claymates.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#52re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:24pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 11:24 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#53re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:27pm

I'm up for it. My mind went immediately to Keira Knightly, but after seeing the original cast of the London revival, I would be beyond ecstatic to see Martine McCutcheon (remember her as Hugh Grant's love interest in Love, Actually?) reprise her performance. She was absolute perfection and cleaned the floor with Jonathan Pryce (who appeared to phone it in). But I'm afraid her controversial track record would lead me to believe Cameron wouldn't give her another chance, despite her Olivier Award win. And David Burrows' genius performance as Eliza's father must be preserved on film and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cameron bring him back. He was unforgettable. Given that I was never a huge fan of the show, that revival changed my mind. It was the single best musical I ever saw in London, though closely followed by Billy Elliott and Return to the Forbidden Planet.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MusicalMan76 Profile Photo
MusicalMan76
#54re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:39pm

I think Emmy Rossum would probably be considered as well, but I doubt she could pull of the "flower-girl" aspect. I too think Anne Hathaway would be an interesting choice.

I would bet money that Julie Andrews will be cast as Mrs. Higgins.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#55re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:40pm

This may be blasphemous but I'm in the 1% who doesn't enjoy Audrey Hepburn in the original film. All the time I'm watching it I think "why isn't Julie Andrews playing this role again?" But I understand that's just me. And while the young actresses of today can't match the sophisticated nature of Hepburn, I do think Hathaway, Adams, and Knightley would indeed do some great job with Eliza.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#56re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:50pm

I must be part of the 1%. Not liking Audrey Hepburn seems almost cruel..but as Eliza I just feel she is ill-suited for the role.

She is lovely to look at.. and as an actress she has her moments, but on the whole, mis-cast.

Also, I feel the original film, while being splendid in so many important ways, is somewhat over-produced. How many servants did Higgins need?

Who knows how this will turn out, but right now I'm excited about the prospect.

I wish them luck.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 11:50 PM

MungoGypsy8232
#57re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:55pm

my mind immediately jumped to Anne Hatheway went I read the article. amy adams would be a nice choice as well, but Anne all the way.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#58re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:56pm

I am not a big fan of Audrey Hepburn's Eliza as well. She just looks too mature and lady-like at the beginning. I am very excited if Kiera Knightly try this.

Oh, and please find a hot Freddy with glorious voice.

degrassifan
#59re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:58pm

I have the feeling that Julie Andrews will be Mrs. Higgins or Mrs. Pearce. Then, she can get a Best Supporting Actresss Oscar nomination!

I'm thinking too far ahead.

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#60re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 12:11am

haha....i am with you guys on anne hathaway...i don't LOVE her but for some reason this role really seems to speak to her...

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#61re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 12:51am

I'm not only in the 1% that does not like Hepburn in My Fair Lady I'm also in the .5% that does not like her as a actress at all. I would love to see a new movie musical of "My Fair Lady," but unless Kiera Knightly can sing, the people mentioned do not do it for me. Hathaway does not have the acting chops, in my opinion, to pull this off.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#62re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:16am

Keira Knightly sings in her new film, THE EDGE OF LOVE, and its better than I would have expected. I doubt she could sing Eliza like say, Julie Andrews, but I bet she could get through the score.

You can hear her singing here - http://www.dlisted.com/node/26272

I don't mind a remake. MY FAIR LADY isn't a perfect movie in my book, and its great material - so why not.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#63re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:36am

no thank you.
it ocould be good...but why risk it?

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#64re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:02am

Is that REALLY Ms. Knightley doing the singing in that clip? Is it comfirmed that she's not lipsyncing for "The Edge of Love"? I just don't understand how that could be her voice. It's a completely different sound and range from the entire realm of her speaking voice.

Aside from that, the vocals in that clip are very good. It sounds like a trained singer.

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#65re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:15am

...i don't LOVE her but for some reason this role really seems to speak to her...

Could it possibly be that two of her most successful movies have included major “make over” sequences. I mean watered down modern day remakes of My Fair Lady/Pygmalion are kind of her meal ticket. re: New MY FAIR LADY film

Just for the record I do really like Anne Hathaway

WestEndAndy Profile Photo
WestEndAndy
#66re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:28am

Why isn't Mackintosh doing his own show Les Mis or Miss Saigon instead of messing with something that works?
A crazy, heartless, brainless idea.

Updated On: 6/6/08 at 03:28 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#67re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:30am

Westcoast, I thought the same. She really has been through the Eliza transformation in her two more successful movie.
Jewishboy, I can see how you might think that since she has had a bad streak lately, IMO. But I do think she showed great acting chops in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, DEVIL WEARS PRADA, and PRINCESS DIARIES (okay PRADA AND DIARIES didn't require a lot in the acting department, but I thought she showed some great comedic skills in those) and she has the star quality to carry a film like she would have to do with MY FAIR LADY, plus she can sing it.
Knightley seems really appealing though, and Adams would be great if a bit too obvious (then again I'm suggesting Hathaway).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

KrissySim
#68re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:39am

Wow ! I just now got "home" and read this. This is exciting. MFL is one of my favorite filmed musicals and I think AH was great in it, as well as RH and the others. To anyone who doesn't like AH or RH in MFL, I challenge you with this: Let's see you do something just as great. re: New MY FAIR LADY film

For the success of the new film everything relies on the director's interpretation. And yes, there is an audience for it just as there was for Sense and Sensibility. I think a "gritty realism" would be wonderful

However, I would like to see a very talented unknown play Eliza. In that way the film itself could be a sort of real life Pygmalion story.

WestEndAndy
#69re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:45am

Shooting on location won't work. London 2008 looks nothing like it did in 2012 (correction -1912!) re: New MY FAIR LADY film. You need gaslight, horse-s**t and fog.The whole thing would have to be dubbed because of background noise.
Another one for the bargain bin.

Updated On: 6/6/08 at 03:45 AM

KrissySim
#70re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:54am

I've been to Covent Garden, Drury Lane and many of the other locations. They could do it with the help of a lot of blue screen and CG, but I'd hope they'd leave CG out of it, and they would have to book the entire space for a lengthy time (is that even likely?).

I see nothing wrong with some less modern but similar location and/or realistic sets.

(Although I think you are very fortunate and special to have visitted London in 2012 re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Updated On: 6/6/08 at 03:54 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#71re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:56am

London 2008 looks nothing like it did in 2012.

And they said time traveling wasn't possible re: New MY FAIR LADY film

To anyone who doesn't like AH or RH in MFL, I challenge you with this: Let's see you do something just as great.

Well, that's a pointless argument if there ever was one.

KrissySim
#72re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:59am

Well, that's a pointless argument if there ever was one.

Exactly. Arguing over a matter of taste is always pointless.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#73re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:29am

Eh, the idea wasn't so bad to me before.. but Kira "my bones pierce sharply out of my skin" Knightly?

Ugh.

WestEndAndy
#74re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:38am

I didn't like the London revival at all. Sending up ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE as a drunk number was a cheap laugh ("the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before") and the sets were cheapskate. They also cut the Overture. Jonathan Pryce had no class and Denis Waterman looked as though he just wanted to go home.

Granted, you COULD find the right actors. Julie as Mrs Higgins would be wonderful.
You COULD use loads of bluescreen and CGI fog and lighting. Just why?