pixeltracker

So how long till _____ announces a tour?

So how long till _____ announces a tour?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 7:33pm

Any predictions?
In the Heights--I give them till the fall to announce a Spring 09 kick off.

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#2re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:36pm

Well, Xanadu already has a tour planned if I'm not mistaken, so yeah, ITH should plan one really soon. It'll make a buttload of money on tour too!

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#2re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:48pm

I give Little Mermaid a couple months. They'll make so much money on the 5-12 year olds across the nation!

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

ucjrdude902
#3re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:54pm

I think most shows are holding out so they can atleast say "THE TONY NOMINATED MUSICAL" or even "THE TONY WINNING"

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#4re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:57pm

True that. Although, they can announce it now and the promote it as "Tony" material later.

At any rate, Little Mermaid will make a killing on tour.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:59pm

They're not holding out. They all know it's smarter to announce a tour before the Tonys because that way they get the road votes. I'm sure they're all scrambling to do so.

ucjrdude902
#6re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/7/08 at 10:02pm

Weren't TONY votes due a while ago? If thats there plan whats the deal with the Best Musical nominees?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 12:25am

I thought that most nominated musicals wait till to see if they win best musical before announcing a tour. That is what happened with Avenue Q. And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Wicked wait till at least after the Tonys to announce a tour?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 12:33am

Nope. Avenue Q announced a tour before the Tonys. Then they won and canceled the tour in favor of the Las Vegas production which caused some controversy amongst the road voters who voted for the show specifically to have the announced tour play their theatre.

RentBoy86
#9re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 12:43am

I would imagine that In The Heights, Cry-Baby, and Xanadu will tour, with Young Frakenstein and The Little Mermaid - A Catered Affair, I'm not so sure. I'd love it to, but I'm not sure it would.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#10re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:03am

There was an article on Playbill about "Passing Strange" touring, and how one booking group even had it on its future productions list.

Cry-Baby-2009
In the Heights-Tour will probably start in spring 2009
The Little Mermaid-I have no idea, but it will definitely happen, knowing Disney
Young Frankenstein-I don't know if they will tour this
A Catered Affair-Not sure
Grey Gardens never announced a tour
The Boy from Oz never did a US Tour (they really should, though)
Caroline or Change never did a tour

I would like to see the last 3 more than anything on that list (specifically Grey Gardens and Caroline or Change, because I saw Boy from Oz on Broadway, and it was good, but it wouldn't be good without Hugh, and he probably won't do a tour, and also, I love the music in Grey Gardens and Caroline or Change, but I've never seen the show, and I want to. The Boy from Oz was actually so dependent on Hugh that every time that he got sick/couldn't make a show, they didn't do a performance)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:10am

They can't tour Grey Gardens. There is not a single penny that can go into a tour for that show. The show's bank account went down to zero during the Broadway run which is why they closed it.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

musicaltheatrefan3
#12re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:14am

I know, but that'd be my only chance of seeing it, unless some theatre near me does it.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#13re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 5:46am

So Broadway shows/tours should do whatever is convent for you as oppose to whatever works for the business they are in?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#14re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 5:54am

This right here has the potential to become the greatest thread in the entirety of BroadwayWorld.com. Keep going, you two! ^_^

musicaltheatrefan3
#15re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 12:44pm

No, winston. I know that they would never tour it. But, I would love it if they did.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
ragg_ballad
#17re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:21pm

Today, Chicago Tribune reporter Chris Jones reported that the following shows will probably tour[come to Chicago] soon:

In the Heights: 2009 or 2010. (he called it "a certainty")
Young Frankenstein : "will tour during the 2009 season"
Xanadu: in January (previously announce long stay at Drury Lane in Chicago)
August: Osage County: "likely to appear during the 2009-10 season"
The Little Mermaid: "At some point...will have to wait in line behind Mary Poppins"
Cry-Baby: "There is some hubristic talk of a tour, but it sounds iffy"
SITPWG: maybe 2009 or 2010 if they can get technology on the road.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#18re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:24pm

I remember reading a while back that they were going to do a tour of Grey Gardens with Christine Ebersole after she did the show in London. The latter has yet to happen, so I wouldn't count on the tour happening.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#19re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:29pm

Cry baby will not tour. They are handing out comps like crazy for the show right now. They haven't made a profit any week that they have been open. Why would anyone invest money in a tour? There will be a closing announced a week from tomorrow. I guarantee it.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

ragg_ballad
#20re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:31pm

that's what i thought too about Cry Baby. If they're not making money right now, and probably won't win any Tonys, why would they tour?

Boq101
#22re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:44pm

Caroline did tour, there are video interviews with the cast on youtube.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#23re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:20pm

There was an article on playbill.com a while back that talked about a Sunday tour. It said that a company that produces tours has sundy ( the most recent Broadway revival. Not just some random production of Sunday in the Park With George) as one of their upcoming shows that they are going to tour. That was all the article on playbill.com said. It never said if the tour was confirmed by roundabout or anything like that.

The same website also has Curtains listed as one of their upcoming touring productions.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#24re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:23pm

Curtains is going to tour. It is being produced by Atlanta Theater of the Stars.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

tourboi
#25re: So how long till _____ announces a tour?
Posted: 6/8/08 at 2:27pm

CRY BABY will tour, per an ad in Variety, anyway. "YOU WANT COMEDY? WE'LL GIVE IT TO YOU WHEN WE HIT THE ROAD IN 2009!" in big red letters.