pixeltracker

First show you saw alone..- Page 4

First show you saw alone..

#75re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 4:55pm

I think the first show I saw by myself was the original production of Into the Woods a couple of months before it closed. I think I was 16, it was a matinee, full house, Ellen Foley was the Witch, Chip Zein was still in the show, I could swear that Paige O'Hara was the baker's wife but according to ibdb.com she was never in the show, (I have long lost my playbill so I have no way of finding out for sure.) and a few other original cast members were still with the show. One of the things I remember is being able to hear birds singing in the auditorium at the Martin Beck before the show started. That was very cool. I remember that the show very good. I think I went to see Black and Blue with my brother that night.

The first show I ever saw on Broadway was My One And Only, original cast, the day before Thanksgiving, 1983. I was 13 years old and shocked at how tiny the St James was compared to our massive, 3,500 seat barn in Dallas.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#76re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 5:14pm

First show I saw alone was the original Los Angeles production of Phantom at the Ahmanson back in 1992. I was all of 13 years old. It was so exciting.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

bwaylvsong
#77re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 5:57pm

I think it was the 42nd Street revival when I was 13 or 14.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#78re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 6:16pm

First show? On the Record
First Broadway show? Tarzan

kazacalo Profile Photo
kazacalo
#79re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:14pm

Promises, Promises. I was 14.

donna_darko_23
#80re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:40pm

Touring production of Doubt last year.

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#81re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:41pm

I can't really remember - but I think it might have been Hairspray about 3 years ago.

I did go with a friend to see La Cage Aux Folles when it was revived a few years back, but we had separate seats...I think that counts. (She was 2 rows ahead of me - but after intermission, there was an empty seat next to her, so I moved up.)

Now I see them all the time by myself.

(All by myself...oh, Celine!)

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!
Updated On: 10/18/08 at 07:41 PM

Shanana5887 Profile Photo
Shanana5887
#83re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 8:51pm

Billy Elliot in London. It's the only show i've ever seen alone. Its hard convincing people to go see the same show over and over again.

grnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
#84re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 8:54pm

Camelot with Robert Goulet

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#85re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:08pm

"The Me Nobody Knows" was my first show alone.

eatlasagna
#86re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:09pm

hey explorer... i was in that show in college! haha.. no one ever knows that show when i bring it up..

the first show i saw alone was waaaay back in 1997... it was the national tour of Beauty and the Beast here in san diego.... i was 18 years old... and then interestingly enough... my first show alone on Broadway was also Beauty and the Beast.. haha... didn't realize that till now... i saw it three years ago... i was 25...

Nicole3293 Profile Photo
Nicole3293
#87re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:17pm

In The Heights wendsday after the tony's. I won the lotto =]

Shows Seen This Year: 13, A Chorus Line, Avenue Q, Chicago, Curtains,Gypsy,In The Heights,Legally Blonde,Mamma Mia,Spamalot,Spring Awakening, and The Little Mermaid

#88re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:20pm

March 19, 2008.
In the Heights.
Krysta Rodriguez was on for Karen Olivo.
twelfth row center, on the end.

I got to meet LMM after. I was shaking and couldn't really speak. so overwhelmed.
In the Heights gave me my passion back.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#89re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:27pm

I never have, but I will see something alone when I go visit schools in February if my parents dont want to go with me. Probably Spring Awakening or In the Heights

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#90re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:36pm

Avenue Q. It was the first Broadway show I ever saw and I went by myself. Times I've been to shows by myself since: I just counted 64.

kooky
#91re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 1:23pm

The show was " What Makes Sammy Run? " starring Steve Lawrence in a small
theatre on 54th St. NYC, circa 60's ............

rentheadca
#92re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 1:26pm

I haven't gone into a theatre alone, but whenever I win lotto my parents usually sit farther back so it's not as loud re: First show you saw alone.. I've only see Hairspray and In The Heights where I was sitting alone, in lotto seats :)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#93re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 1:37pm

PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre on W. 45th Street. Late December 1972. I was 7 years old.

Bad habit of wanting to see things repeatedly started about a year earlier with the film WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. My folks ended-up starting a tradition of dropping me off at the movie theater and then picking me up after the film. Times were different then and management would keep an eye out on me. This tradition permitted me to see hords of films continually, especially since my folks were 'one time only' people.

This tradition floated over after I saw PIPPIN on Broadway, which was the very first show I ever saw on Broadway. As expected, I haggard my folks and that week I got to see the show 2 more times. The rule was as follows: go to your seat; do not go outside during intermission; wait by the box office window after the performance where they would pick me up.

There are countless shows I was able to see repeatedly, courtesy of this tradition which my folks gladly indulged me with. This is how I was able to see the original productions of CHICAGO and A CHORUS LINE about 10 times each the summer of 1975.

Spoiled? You betcha. Did I take it for granted? Not one single moment.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#94re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 2:10pm

The OBC of Ragtime, November 1998. I was visiting NYC with a group of my RENThead friends, and of course all they wanted to do was see RENT over and over. I really wanted to see Ragtime, but no one wanted to go with me, so I bought myself the cheapest ticket I could get. (I was also a poor college student at the time). I was all alone in the very last row of that barn of a theater but I loved every second of that show and was sobbing by the end. That still ranks as one of the best experiences I've ever had in a theater, and I'm so glad I decided to go even though I had to go alone.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#95re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 3:37pm

The first national tours I saw without my parents were "Dancin'" and "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas." (I can't remember which was first.) Talk about a pair of eye-openers.........

First Broadway show: original "A Chorus Line"

First Off-Broadway show: original "Fantasticks"

These two choices were made so I would have bragging rights in situations like this thread..........

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#96re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 5:56pm

"Sunday in the Park with George" in London- rushed, got a front row seat, and loved every second of it.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#97re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 6:09pm

The first show I ever saw alone was Grand Hotel....and then the next day I saw Aspects of Love alone... and then again that evening....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#98re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 6:14pm

Can we go back a minute to Chuck012's original post that started this thread.........

Are you saying that you were there on one of the most famous nights in Broadway history, the night that Shirley MacLaine was discovered and whisked off to Hollywood? That night? Is that what you are saying???

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#99re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 7:54pm

Chuck...OH MY GOD!!!! Somebody was lucky!

TTL Profile Photo
TTL
#100re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 10/20/08 at 8:04pm

The first show I saw alone was CONTACT at the Vivian Beaumont... Followed by LES MISERABLES (Original Broadway run), BOMBAY DREAMS, ALL SHOOK UP, A CHORUS LINE (Revival), and PASSING STRANGE.

By the way BW is such a sweet distraction from school work! haha.