pixeltracker

Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?

Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:42pm

I say Yay.

Honestly, I think giving them one minute to showcase their musical was very nice and it gave the show a lot more flavor. It really showed everything that the season had to offer and it also shows what options people have when buying tickets.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Boq101
#2re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:45pm

nay, wasnt worth it AT ALL. Some of those awards should have been there for the world to see, not some dumb 2-minute mess.

Boq101
#2re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:45pm

Nay, wasn't worth it AT ALL. Some of those awards should have been there for the world to see, not some dumb 2-minute mess.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:48pm

I thought it was a great idea.

Megan Mullally was the highlight of the segment.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:48pm

YAY!!! Was glad to see them perform, even if it was for only 2 minutes each. If it helps to sell tickets, I'm all for it again next year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#5re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:49pm

They should have made Megan do the whole song with the talking part and not sing it so fast.

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#6re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:51pm

YAY!

Megan was hilarious...it made me actually want to see YF a little. Sierra was great and made that oddly edited POYW/POYW(REPRISE) work beautifully. A Catered Affair was a little harder to get from what they had shown, but it was nice to hear at least a little of the score.

colleen_lee
#7re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:53pm

Definitely yay.

The performances keep the show interesting. And the community really needs to take advantage of this public platform to sell the merchandise. The tourists are now the people keep the business alive, and a chance for people outside of New York to be exposed to even more options is absolutely a positive.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#8re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:55pm

Yay, but not at the expense of Best Book of a Musical and Best Revival of a Play

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:55pm

It was a step in the right direction. I think it might need a little bit of work, but it definitely added a more celebratory atmosphere to the Tonys. Now, let them include performances by the plays and I'll be happy.
It worked really well. I thought Megan Mullally was in great voice but milked the Karen Walker schtick too much (which she doesn't do at all in the cast recording or the other clips I've seen of her in the show, so I don't know if she did it because it was on TV). I still think the LITTLE MERMAID costumes are laughable. And A CATERED AFFAIR just kind of didn't get a chance to stand out, perhaps from the uniqueness of the score.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DrewBill
#10re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:05am

Yay. I think it's nice that the Tony Awards are a celebration of the whole Broadway season, not just a night for the nominees. And if featuring other shows beyond the nominees helps bring in new audiences for the telecast and for Broadway, then that's good too.

But I do think this precedent may cause some problems in future years when there happen to be a lot of musicals in one season.

rubyslippersxo
#11re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:20am

Nay. It was nice that they were recognized, but I didn't really enjoy any of the performances. I would have rather seen other awards. Apparently, it was confusing to some of my friends, who thought they were all nominated for Best Musical.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#12re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:23am

I say yay, but only if PBS brings back their remarkably well-crafted Creative Arts hour, and definitely not at the expense of Best Revival of a Play not being telecast. That was ridiculous.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#13re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:24am

Yay in theory, nay in practice. All it did was painfully highlight just why these shows weren't nominated. Of course, some of the shows that WERE nominated weren't much better (I'm looking at you, Grease and Cry-Baby).

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#14re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:26am

Nay, I would say yay if there was more a reason behind them other than upping ratings.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#15re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 3:39am

They really should bring back the PBS Creative Arts Hour, and break up the award presentations during that hour with the non-nominated musicals.

I liked the idea, but I really only liked Megan's performance. I almost wished that they would have done a little more with the nominated play revivals instead.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#16re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 6:30am

NAY. Why not give more time to the NOMINATED plays, then to the NON-NOMINATED musicals?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 6:33am

YAY. If they're just plain not ever going to give any time to the nominated plays, then why not have more musicals? At the very least, let people like Faith Prince - who received a nomination herself despite her production being overlooked - knock out a little performance alongside the Best Musical Nominees.

Face it, an awards ceremony that has four musical numbers and a lot of people weeping as they thank Jesus and momma (okay, I'm exaggerating; as far as I can tell, it was a pretty good year for speeches) does not an entertaining three hour ceremony make. XP

And why look down on doing things to increase ratings? If ratings aren't respectable, the Tonys could go the way of the Oliviers, which haven't been televised for many a year. It's bad enough having to watch a bitty, jumpy webcast of the Tony awards; not watching them at all would be VERY sad. re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?

Updated On: 6/16/08 at 06:33 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#18re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 6:44am

Nay. The LITTLE MERMAID performance was the only one that fit comfortably into that minute-long timespan.

CATERED AFFAIR came off dreadfully outside of the context of the show, and it was especially awkward with Matt and Leslie dancing on a completely different stage than Faith.

Part of what makes that YF scene so funny is the timing -- pauses, etc. -- and Megan was forced to speed it up, and it came off as very messy.

Not to mention that Best Book, Choreography, and Revival of a Play were left off the telecast.

Absurd.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
dancinfan
#20re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:06am

The concept is nice, but I would rather have seen the speeches for more of the "artistic" awards. I think it was, again, interesting but not really fair to make Circle of Life the opening number instead of something more traditional and all-encompassing. Maybe the opening number should represent all of the Broadway musicals (including the nominees). Perfect example: my favorite opening number of recent years was One Night Only with Hugh Jackman, the three trios of the season, and bits and pieces of all the other running shows, too.

Ed_Mottershead
#21re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:19am

I'm in the minority, but I say Nay. I mean, do the Oscars spotlight non-nominated films? On another point, win or lose does not necessarily a hit make and vice versa. Look at Passion -- it got a slew of awards and closed by the end of the year -- it was too problematic a show and word was getting out. On the other hand, Smokey Joe's Cafe did a great number on the Tony's that ensured its long and deservied run, even though it got no Tonys. The numbers haven't been all that great for Spring Awakening -- it's on the half-price every weekend. Just my opinion. If a show's gonna fly, it flies.

BroadwayEd

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:26am

Movies are readily accessible all across the country. The current crop of Broadway shows is not. I think showcasing the non-nominated musicals was a nice idea, as well as highlighting the long-running shows - however, not at the expense of relegating major categories like Choreography, Revival of a Play and Book to the pre-telecast.

I'm particularly curious if Liz McCann, producer of the Tony Awards, will keep Revival of a Play in the pre-telecast when the production of Equus she's producing is up for that award next year.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:50am

You can't really compare the Oscars to the Tonys.
As Smaxie said, movies are indeed readily accessible to just about everyone. Also, the range of movies that get Oscar nominations is so much wider than the range of musicals that are nominated. It's just nice to take a look at what the season had to offer.
Again, it needs work, but it was a nice experiment and I hope it becomes a sort of tradition.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#24re: Including Non-Nominated Musical Performances: Yay or Nay?
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:02am

Meh. It was a good idea in theory, but it didn't come off very well. I would rather have seen more of the artistic awards.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos