Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:26pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 07:26 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#26re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:29pm

GMF--Joe turned into a bitter provocateur several months ago, around the issues of strong women. First Hillary, then Patti, all his wit started to go toward posts that were only designed to rile up and upset people who feel differently from him.

What was once good-natured became bitter and nasty, like this thread, which was created only to start a fight.

#27re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:29pm

Hmm I'm going to go against everyone and say I'm not a big fan of Bernadette Peters or Patti Lupone.

Although I would like to say that Lupone's performance was dynamic at the Tonys. Best were Lupone in her days in Evita, but I've never really liked Peters voice.

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#28re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:44pm

they are both extremely talented. i don't know who i would pick as the "diva of our time", they both deserve that title for different reasons.

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#29re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:44pm

I would love to see them perform together - that would be cool!

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#30re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:46pm

By this logic, Ryan Seacrest is the preeminent television personality of our time.

iluvtheatertrash
#31re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 7:49pm

Bernadette stunk in GYPSY! Plain and simple.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#33re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:03pm

I just like Bernadette Peters more. I don't really know why, but I like her voice better. At least when she was in her prime. On my Broadway star list, she's my number one!

Patti has grown on me over the years, but I won't say I'm a huge fan of hers. I mean, I used to hate Patti Lupone but now...i like her. And btw I am ridiculously excited for the new Gypsy recording coming in August!!!!

I believe that there are Patti people and Bernadette people. I'm just a Bernadette person. However, I don't necessarily think that she is the diva of our day. I do think that the title goes to Patti. But that doesn't mean I like her more.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#34re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:04pm

I like 'em both!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#35re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:04pm

They had two completely different interpretations of Rose. Bernadette's was much more layered and subtle, but that doesn't mean Patti's is wrong. Patti's is more in-your-face and scary, but that doesn't mean Bernadette's is wrong.

ETA: One of the things that turned me off to Patti many years ago is that her fans seem to hate Bernadette. If I tune out the fans and just focus on Patti herself, she isn't that bad.
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 08:04 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:14pm

I'm a big Patti fan. But I like Bernadette too. Not all of us hate her.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#37re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:00pm

Bernadette's was my first live "Gypsy," and I really enjoyed her, though I confess I forgot about it fairly immediately.

But I recently watched the "Rose's Turn" on YouTube, and I thought it was pretty brilliantly acted. (The notion that Bernadette is not a good actor is, in my opinion, utter nonsense.)

But I didn't have the overwhelming visceral response that I had to Patti's Rose. It's ultimately a matter of taste, of course, but Patti's was one of the best performances in any genre I've seen anywhere.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#38re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:16pm

Joe, I was not talking about this specific post, but your late beahavior in general ! And I am only saying it because I used to enjoy your posts !

And ToodarnHot, yes, you are pure evil, but I love your witty bitchiness re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#39re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:22pm

I'm a HUGE fan of both. I have all cast albums/recordings from both performers and have seen both of them numerous times in concert. It's all about appreciating their differences and talents.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#40re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:45pm

Respectfully disagree with OP.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#41re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:55pm

Love them both, seen each in concerts more than once as well as in intimate theatres, all of their Broadway shows since Evita, bought their albums and watched their careers transform over the years. Patti may've had that TV series...but Bernadette will always have Playboy on her resume, and more than once. Great websight Bernadette!

Any thoughts on Betty Buckley and Audra McDonald?

MuseOfComedy
#42re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:00pm

<3 BP, but Patti > Bernadette. Sorry.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#43re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:01pm

Inarguably?

I'm arguing.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#44re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:19pm

Can't we just love both? I'm a huge Peters fan and her Rose was probably the best performance I've ever seen on a stage. HOWEVER, I saw the LuPone Gypsy at City Center and on Broadway and she blew me away as well! They are very different, but both absolutley WONDERFUL in the role. There are many ways to interpret that role and no way is more correct than another way. I loved them both.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#45re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:31pm

But Bernadette loves dogs and Patti stuffs em.
It depends on your definition of DIVA.
If it means being unpleasant to fellow workers,
Patti has it hands down.
Some people like their Divas mean.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:38pm

And some posters, like CurtainPullUsDowner, just delight in being bitchy.

MuseOfComedy
#47re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:40pm

CurtainPullDowner > Patti

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:41pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 11:41 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:41pm

Patti's fellow workers usually only have good things to say about her.

LadyRosecoe
#50re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/16/08 at 11:42pm

I can respect a lot of peoples' opinions with no problem, but this just bothers me:

"It's absolute proof that Bernadette doesn't even try."

The only proof I see in regards to Bernadette and trying is her refusing to be sidelined by a stomach bug in Annie Get Your Gun. Do I think it was wise, no, but she has an incredible sense just as Patti does of pleasing the crowd. AND she didn't have announcements made every time she had an issue of such sorts re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

But I won't compare them. I love Bernadette and Patti as people and performers. Both make incredible art and I am proud to have witnessed multiple performances by them.

Videos