Do you keep your Playbills?

SgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
#1Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 3:25pm

If so, where do you put them? How many do you have? Which is your favorite? Are any of them signed?

I personally keep them all and have around 8 or 9. My favorite is Gypsy because it is signed by all the leads!

The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#2re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 3:26pm

There is already a thread for this.

sgv123
#2re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 3:31pm

yes, i keep mine with having some extras of some of them. when i get a new one i put it into a ziploc bag and put it into a drawer. i have about 75 unsigned and about 25 signed. my favoites are all the signed ones. my favorite unsigned is the OBC playbill for Gypsy.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#3re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 3:33pm

There is nothing better than a signed playbill.

I always keep playbills.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#4re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:24pm

Um YES. I have eight of those plastic magazine file things lined up on the window ledge, full of programmes and Playbills. Apart from the ones that are too big to fit, and those are wedged between the wall and the first file. XD You never know when or what you're going to want to look up, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any. Although I'm going to need a bigger window ledge soon...

As signed ones go... I have a signed London 'Wicked' (most of the principals), Broadway 'Aida' (Adam Pascal), London 'Follies In Concert' (Philip Quast), and Cardiff 'Jack And The Beanstalk' (John Barrowman). I try not to buy souvenir brochures, because that's an expensive habit I DON'T want to get into, but I still managed to get a signed London 'Evita' one (Elena Roger, Philip Quast, Matt Rawle).

My favourite? Well, I really like my 'Masque Of The Red Death' one, and all my RSC Histories ones. Mostly due to their informative natures, I guess. But the rehearsal pics in the RSC ones are great. There were some really hot guys in the Histories ensemble. re: Do you keep your Playbills?

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#5re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:25pm

yup

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#6re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:27pm

I have many of them. I keep them in a cabinet in my room in order. I always make a copy and hang tha on my wall but all my ITH and Rent playbills are framed.

Okayfine
#7re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:27pm

I did when I was a kid, but I don't anymore. My family had a restaurant with a Broadway theme & my father put Playbills on the wall as decoration. He had everything from Angela Lansbury in Mame to Beatlemania. Can you imagine what some purists would think of him putting thumbtacks through those collectibles? Eek.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#8re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:34pm

I have a huge bulletin board in my room for playbills/tickets/understudy slips

its nice to look at =)

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

memphreblues
#9re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:38pm

The covers of programmes from touring shows I've seen are on my door, and the rest of the actual book is kept in a box on my shelf. For the shows I've seen on Broadway, I've always been with my dad, who gives me his Playbill. So one gets put in the box, and I cut the cover off the other to put in my scrapbook.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:40pm

Actually, what do other people do with tickets and understudy slips? Personally, I have a scrapbook I stick 'em in, along with flyers for the shows, because I really do have the most obsessive mind when I'm keen on something, but I'm well aware this is horrifically nerdy behaviour. What do normal folk do?

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#11re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:41pm

yes re: Do you keep your Playbills?
and whenever i'm sad i look at them/through them

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#12re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:41pm

I have 12 playbills. One is a Spring Awakening original cast signed that is framed. The others are in my Playbill binder.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:42pm

Mine are all in a box. I hope to have special frames made that hold 6 playbills a piece. I have about 60 playbills (probably more). Some are duplicates. Have a signed Playbill from the revival of "Company" (A gift bought during BCEFA fundraising time) and a signed Applause Magazine (Denver's Playbill) from the cast of The Little Mermaid. I keep all of my tickets also. The play tickets go into a small New York photo album and the musicals go inside the front cover of the obcr's when I get them.

Just give the world Love.

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#14re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:42pm

I only keep the autographed ones. There would be no room if I kept every single one.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:46pm

The box I have them in is just about full. I am sure I will be starting on a second box before year's end.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#16re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:46pm

I save one from every show. I keep them all in decorative baskets in my living room, in chronological order. I have a basket for Broadway shows and another basket for regional and touring shows. I used to always have to have two (I'm crazy and OCD) but when I recently moved I got rid of all the duplicates. I was lucky enough to find people on here who were asking for certain Playbills that I was getting rid of so I know they went to good homes.

memphreblues
#17re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:04pm

Weez, you're not alone re: Do you keep your Playbills?

Along with the Playbill cover, I put the cast list, understudy slips, tickets, any pamphlets or fliers I happen to find, and the, erm, title page (With the name of the theatre, director, performers, crew, whatnot) in my scrapbook. And for some reason, every show has a different colour in my mind, so the pages have to match.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#18re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:18pm

Yes! My plan is to get a table with a glass top and put the Playbills under the glass top. Maybe a coffee table or a dinner table.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#19re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:19pm

I keep mine in a box too. I only have 4 right now. My "Mamma Mia" and "Spamalot" ones are signed. I keep the inserts in the actual Playbill itself. I also keep ticket stubs in a box too.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Dollypop
#20re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:20pm

Yes, I do keep my Playbills. Most of them are in those Playbill binders they sell at One Schubert Alley. As I've been attending plays and musicals for over 40 years, I can tell you that the acid in the older Playbills is causing the paper to deteriorate. Perhaps a clever mind could come up with a solution.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Okayfine
#21re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:39pm

uncageg - I think Playbill makes special holders for them. Try their website before you try to find frames that fit.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#22re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:48pm

I keep mine stacked in a shoebox in my closet.

I feel like a 7 year old with baseball cards.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:54pm

Okayfine - I know they make the holders. I want special frames for them. A close friend of mine said he will make them for me when I want them. The glass table idea is a good one. And I have been thinking of getting a new living room table. Hmmm!

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#24re: Do you keep your Playbills?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 5:59pm

I bought a little old antique dresser with 3 drawers -- 2 are full of Playbills (1 drawer is all Les Mis), and the top drawer has all the pamphlets and a little box that was my Grandmother's that I keep all my tickets in. I keep my understudy slips in the specific Playbills

All this is at the foot of my bed, and I root thru them quite often

I bought a special binder at the RSC in London when I was there, and I keep my larger UK programmes in that on my bookcase

To me they are treasures, and I try to take wonderful care of them. They each bring back happy memories (OK, a few unhappy too)

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance