pixeltracker

Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08

Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#1Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 2:40am

As most of you may know from previous messages I have posted, I got tickets to the matinée performance of WICKED on June 28, 2008 all because I had to see the amazing Kerry Ellis as Elphaba. Most of you also probably know that on Wednesday I found out I would be seeing Julie Reiber as Elphaba. I was not a big fan of Julie judging from videos on YouTube but after seeing her live the saying "don't judge from videos" has never been more true. Julie came on stage and she was Elphaba.

Julie is probably the best I have seen live as far as acting goes, she was amazing.

There were so many acting highlights from today but the one that really stuck out for me was when Elphaba first meets the Wizard. It seemed like Julie was at the mall around Christmas time waiting to meet Santa and when Elphaba met the Wizard, Julie got to sit on Santa's lap, her acting was just that amazing! Julie's voice was just beyond fantastic! Another thing was that Julie had amazing chemistry with the whole cast.

Kendra came down in her bubble and cracked a few times during No One Mourns The Wicked but got much better as the show went on. Also, I have never seen Kendra so ditsy as Glinda before, at one point Kendra made herself laugh because of how she was acting (it was adorable). Overall, Kendra blew me away (as usual).

Aaron and Jayne were simply phenomenal and are by far the best I have seen in the roles yet! In case your wondering, Aaron has adjusted greatly to the show.

Lenny, Ben, and Christy were amazing as usual.

At the stage door only Lenny, Aaron, and Julie came out (it was a little disappointing, I was really surprised that Ben and Kendra didn't come out.) Only me and like 4 other people recognized Julie and all of us not being first time Wicked goers (well at least I think no one was) knew not to call someone over at the Gershwin until they got down the line. So, Julie went to the beginning with a marker ready and noticed no one got excited so she was like "I WAS ELPHABA!" and everyone got crazy, and Julie was extremely nice.

One thing I did notice mainly throughout act one and the beginning of act two were sound problems. It sounded like mics were being put on to late and the ensemble was very hard to hear and the pit seemed either very loud or very soft.

As some of you may know, I decided to do the WICKED lotto because I still really wanted to see Kerry, being the title of this thread I feel I don't need to say it but... I didn't win.

By that point it was pouring and after going to the Eugene O'Neill and being told the rush tickets were sold out I decided I was not going to go theatre to theatre looking for rush tickets, so I decided to go to TKTS and I saw they had Young Frankenstein tickets. First off the guy at the TKTS booth was so obnoxious and rude, it was just disgusting! Anyway, I was side orchestra, row p, seat 26. I expected the seat to be ok but the seat was amazing! I had the perfect view (except for a tall guy in front of me, who I was mostly able to avoid) and was in front of the over hang and everything!

I got very nervous when I saw an understudy board but luckily Sutton and Shuler were there.
The understudy board was as follows:
At this performance
The role of will be played by
Frederick Frankenstein Jon Patrick Walker
Igor Brian Shepard
Roles played by Brian Shepard Craig Waletzko
Roles played by Heather Ayers Kristin Marie Johnson

In a way I'm happy both Frederick and Igor were understudies because I feel the understudies probably had better chemistry together where as I have a feeling it might have been different if it was just one was an understudy, but I can't say for a fact.

Although as far as understudies go, you could not tell they didn't play the part every night, they were phenomenal.

The show overall was great and Sutton, Shuler, Megan, Andrea and the whole cast were on fire!

At the stage door everyone came out except for Sutton, so it was a very nice stage door experience for the most part.

Goodbye

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 3:07am

YF and WICKED in the same day? yeesh... that's rough

glad you enjoyed them and thanks for the reviews .

defyinggravity42694
#2re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 3:20am

Yes, it was very spur of the moment, I was originally going to try to see Sunday in the Park with George or A Chorus Line (being that their closing) but Young Frankenstein caught my eye and it's something I wanted to see, one because the show sounded very good (which it was) and I wanted to catch Sutton in it before she left.

Goodbye
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 03:20 AM

weebles_fall
#3re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 3:49am

I am soo glad you liked Julie. I saw her at her last performance in LA and she blew me away.
And she is the nicest, coolest person ever.

"I was Elphaba!" hahaha

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#4re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 7:17am

So, Julie went to the beginning with a marker ready and noticed no one got excited so she was like "I WAS ELPHABA!"

Thanks for the nice reviews and funny story. I have learned my lesson about understudies as well and although initially disheartened, always amazed by their talents.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:16am

So glad you liked Julie Reiber!! She's really brilliant in the role, and I'm glad others agree. Other than Menzel, she's by far the best I've seen in the role. Wonderful voice (love the riffs), and spot-on acting. Also glad you enjoyed Aaron (who I think is the best Fiyero) and Jayne, who's also great. The show is definitely in great shape right now.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#6re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:32am

I'm soooo jealous you got see Julie!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

IssaMe
#7re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:39am

The sound has been spotty for the past two weeks.

Glad you enjoyed the brilliant Julie.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#8re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:42am

Two great shows! Thanks for sharing your reviews. Julia sounds like a wonderful actor and also like she has a great personality.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

DefyGravity777
#9re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 10:02am

defyinggravity42694,
You must have been near me at SD. I was at the front also and that was the cutest thing when Julie said I WAS ELPHABA...lol

Lindsay came out too but she ran away and then came back later with some food. She waved Hi to me then went back inside. I had found out later from her that she was really sick onstage and felt horrible but she still did the 8pm show.

I thought that Kendra was drunk. I have seen her 6 times now at this one was the most goofy I have seen her. She was out for the 8pm show as was Michael Devries.

I'm glad that you enjoyed Julie. Personally she made me forget how much I miss Steph on that stage.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#10re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 10:56am

Caught the evening performance of Wicked on 6.28.

The pacing of the show was very different than usual, and deliveries had a very spontaneous feel to them. A good thing.

Kendra Kassebaum was out, Katie Adams was in.

Tveit, while in fine voice, was by far the dullest Fiyero I've ever seen.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#11re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:09am

so does Kerry not do certain performances over here? I want to know before I plan on getting a ticket.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:14am

Glory: Kerry should do every performance unless she is sick, has scheduled vacation, yadda yadda.

To the original poster: Too bad you didn't see Christopher Fitzgerald as Igor - he was hilarious. I'm planning on getting tickets for Sutton's last show, but it is not definite yet.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:19am

We like YF much more than Wicked.

Poster Emeritus

DefyGravity777
#14re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:21am

Glory,
Kerry has been taking off the matinees because she is still getting acclimated to NYC and she had strained her voice also.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Junie
#15re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:30am

Thanks for the re-cap and your enthusiasm. I enjoyed reading it and also all the comments. I love both Wicked and Young Frankenstein, and if I lived closer to NYC, I'd sure go more often. Two shows in one day is a lot of fun. Last time I was in NYC I saw both Young Frankenstein and Spamalot on the same day and loved every minute.

choked_on_tittup
#16re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:34am

On Thursday I saw YF and on Friday I saw RENT. Both were fantastic!!!

In RENT I almost cried during the first song just because it was the first time hearing it live and in my face, I loved it!!!!!

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#17re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:48am

Glory, Kerry has been taking off the matinees because she is still getting acclimated to NYC and she had strained her voice also.

And per her doctor's orders. A cast member said that Ellis hopes to be at seven shows next week.

artifact11 Profile Photo
artifact11
#18re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 12:33pm

What is the current best strategy to try and score a ticket to the show in the near future- cancellation line same day of show?
What time do you need to get there to be safe?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 1:22pm

Check the day before or the morning of the performance, when the house seats are released. Singles usually come up. Just be advised you'll pay full price.

There is always a cancellation line, but every time I've seen it it looked rather long, and I have no idea how many of them (if any) got in. They only accept cash at the cancellation line.

defyinggravity42694
#20re: Wicked and Young Frankenstein 6/28/08
Posted: 6/29/08 at 1:38pm

DefyGravity777, omg, I was right by you, I just looked at your picture with Julie and recognized you. There was like one girl in between me and the person you were with. I remember the person you were with saying to Julie... "This is my 98th time seeing the show, my 99th will be tonight, and I'm so happy to finally see you!" I also remember you talking about seeing Chelsea (very jealous), but I swear, I was not ease dropping, I was just that close to you, lol.

Also, I know what you mean about missing Steph, the last time I saw the show was with her, and to be honest... I liked Julie better.

Kendra: I felt like I was watching Annaleigh again for some of the show, while I love Annaleigh and she is tied for my favorite Glinda with Kendra, I would have rather seen the regular Kendra I was used to, but I will say I did love Kendra's performance, it was just surprising.

I did notice Lindsey too, I usually like getting her autograph but I noticed she rushed out pretty fast as well and didn't want to bother her with food.

How were Kerry and Katie that evening?

Goodbye
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 01:38 PM

Videos