pixeltracker

PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)- Page 3

PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#50re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:59pm

What a shame. Such a special show...

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#51re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 5:58pm

I was one of probably many people who were sitting on the fence regarding seeing PS or not. Part of me was intrigued and part of me was like...egh!! After the Tony performance....I thought what kind of annoying hideous mess is this? Tony performances should try to help shows. In this case, I think it really did kill it. Who knows, maybe I would have ended up really enjoying it, but there just wasn't much to entice me into the Belasco theater. What I did see, turned me off.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#52re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 6:20pm

It lasted a lot longer than I thought it would...

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#53re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 7:09pm

It is truly a shame that is closing. I have spent the afternoon trying to figure out how I can make the trip to see the final performance. Thank goodness that stimulus check came in the mail on Monday!

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#54re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 7:36pm

I was considering seeing it until the Tonys. They killed themselves by choosing a screamy whiny mess of a song.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#55re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 7:43pm

I really enjoyed the show, and I can't stop listening to the cast recording.

I do agree that they should have designed a Tony performance that would have displayed the narrative storytelling aspect of the piece rather than the rock concert aspect. A performance like that would really show why it won Best Book and why it was a show worth seeing. It really is a beautiful story, and I think that is what many people leave the theatre so touched by.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#56re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 7:49pm

I realize that the tony performance was a bit off but considering that it did win best book, was highly praised by critics and audiences that go, and most people on BWW... doesn't that mean something?
and jacob i would hardly call Amsterdam whiny. It wasn't what it should have been I agree but it wasn't THAT bad.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Roscoe
#57re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:07pm

It was one of those shows. If you loved it, you REALLY LOVED IT, if you hated it, you REALLY HATED IT.

Good riddance. I've wasted enough time on it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 08:07 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#58re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:11pm

Passing Strange performed Keys at the Tonys, not Amsterdam.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#59re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:17pm

I agree with Roscoe's sentiment that folks either really loved it or really hated it. I, for one, really LOVED it. I think the music is amazing, but more than that, it is the story that really sold me on it. Hearing "Love Like That" moves me everytime I hear it. A most poignant show that I am glad will be filmed by Spike Lee for a wider audience to experience.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#60re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:19pm

While their performance at the Tonys did nothing to interest me, it's sad that one of the past season's best reviewed shows is closing. So now 3 out of the 4 2008 Best Musical nominees have either closed or have posted a closing notice. That's really a shame.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#61re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:22pm

Xanadu isn't closing yet.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#62re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:24pm

Yeah, James, XANADU and IN THE HEIGHTS are still up and kicking.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#63re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:27pm

You're right, I completely forgot about Xanadu!

My mistake. I hope all the Xanadu fans will forgive me!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 08:27 PM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#64re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:32pm

Wow. 2 days before I was going to see it. This is very upsetting, to say the least. At least ill get to see the DVD.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#65re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:43pm

Assuming there is a DVD released... officially at least. There is no distribution deal in place yet for the Spike Lee taping.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#66re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 9:00pm

I would assume (and I know that is always a bad idea) that since Spike is so high-profile, a DVD release would be at least probability. Again, I assume...and really hope so!