BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#25re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 8:09pm

I have the demo and am frankly appalled. I expected to hear music in the vein of U2 and instead heard generic and bland electro-pop. This will definitely be one show where you come out humming the special effects. I have a feeling this show will end Julie Taymor's winning streak.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

theminutepast
#26re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 8:32pm

I just don't understand. What are the producers' reasons for creating a musical out of Spiderman? Have they given any?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#27re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 8:42pm

they want to make lots of money, theminutepast. that is their reason

fanpires
#28re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 9:22pm

is this going to be a hardcore rock show? :/ XD

(can anyone send me the demo? :))

ko74612 Profile Photo
ko74612
#29re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 9:41pm

I would love to hear the demo. I can't even fathom how one would fashion a song based on this.

"Spider man Spider man does what ever a spider can!"

no thank you.

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
Tick Tick BOOM

theminutepast
#30re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/17/08 at 9:46pm

Well, of course, folkyboy. But someone in this production must actually think it's worth making into a musical. I just can't stand the smugness of saying, we're going to musicalize Spiderman, and not giving any explanation.

ko74612 Profile Photo
ko74612
#31re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:44am

I agree minutepast. At some point someone has to have an idea worth developing. It'd be great if they decided to share that idea because I know as a producer if someone pitched that to me I would more than likely laugh in their face.

just saying... :)

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
Tick Tick BOOM

jspaeth87
#32re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:49am

[i] (not sure about The Edge- never heard anything by them haha) [i]

The Edge is the guitarist for U2.

Does anyone feel that the open call is just to give the show a lot of hype?

Chance
#33re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/18/08 at 6:05am

This is probably going to be the most enjoyable flop since In My Life

levitatingcow11 Profile Photo
levitatingcow11
#34re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/19/08 at 12:22am

I thought this show was just a rumor somebody started as some sick joke!
I mean, Jim Sturgess starring as Peter Parker, Bono making a rock score about a superhero in spandex - just imagine it for one second!

Was I ever mistaken.

Maybe it won't be that bad. But as someone who only visits the city about once a year... I don't think so.
I can still enjoy it through threads like THIS!

Theaterdude103
#35re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:10am

Is anyone going or believe it to be worth while to go? OR could this just to bring attention to the show like jspaeth87 said

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:35am

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 12:35 AM

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#37re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/20/08 at 11:10pm

I know it's going to be terrible and whatnot, but I think I'm going to audition.... is anyone else? lol any suggestions on a time to get there and the like?

thanks!

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#38re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/20/08 at 11:18pm

I can't go...due to the fact that I'm a Floridian but I'll send in my stuff. Who knows maybe they might come to Orlando?

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#39re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/21/08 at 12:14am

At first, I hated the demo as well, but I think they are going for a certain style, and listening to it again, I liked it much more.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Chance
#40re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/21/08 at 12:29am

is the "certain style" they're going for also known as terrible?

cause that's what they're gonna end up with.

jspaeth87
#41re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 3:26am

so my friend is actually going to this audition. he was asking me what time i thought he should get there? does anyone have any idea as to what a good time would be?

Mattbrain
#42re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 7:58am

I have a friend who's going to audition for this and I'm incredibly supportive of her.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#43re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:06am

The role of Peter Parker is taken! Mawhawwhaaawwhaww

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#44re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 12:01pm

can be nerdy with understated sex appeal, <---that is kind of Michael Arden. Whoever posted him playing Spiderman on broadwaysecrets had a point, he would be great in that role. Are they looking for "nobodies" like Spring Awakening?

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#45re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 12:21pm

I really really like the Michael Arden idea.

If they were actually casting somebody known, who could be Arden's romance? I have a few in mind but not many realistic options...

RentBoy86
#46re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:38pm

Michael Arden: No! He can sing, but the boy cannot create a character.

TheDeac
#47re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:53pm

If anyone has the Demo, please PM me with it!

yukino
#48re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 2:31pm

spiderman? bono? ok that's just weeeeeird.

OrdinaryJukebox
#49re: Spiderman Open Calls
Posted: 7/24/08 at 2:43pm

To say nothing of the fact that Spiderman's mask has no mouth; how is he supposed to sing?!?! hehe

-Vincent