Musicals that deal with AIDS

jeff_thedancer Profile Photo
jeff_thedancer
#1Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 1:43am

Besides Rent and Both Elegies. I am looking for shows(preferably musicals/songs) that deal with characters who have Aids or characters dealing with grief of loosing someone with Aids. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a million
Jeffrey

IAP ALUMNI -Music and Theatre Major Class of 07.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#2re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 1:45am

FALSETTOS comes to mind.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 1:47am

BFB, I agree, FALSETTOS was the first one that came to my mind.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jeff_thedancer Profile Photo
jeff_thedancer
#3re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 1:48am

I Cant believe i forgot Falsettos,haha thanks anymore ideas?

IAP ALUMNI -Music and Theatre Major Class of 07.
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 01:48 AM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/16/08 at 1:52am

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 01:52 AM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#5re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:05am

LEASE: THE MUSICAL courtesy of TEAM AMERICA.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o3FZOL3oZxo

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#6re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:06am

re: Musicals that deal with AIDS

LEASE

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#7re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:23am

does that RAGING QUEENS one's title start with ELEGIES, can't recall. There is also THE QUILT but when i read the perusal and plunked out the music i wasn't impressed. It's a great idea for a musical, though....

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Natch Profile Photo
Natch
#8re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:59am

not a musical... but Angels in America

...it'll get here, oh, it'll get here...
[believe]

commasplice
#9re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/16/08 at 3:44am

Dirty Dreams of a Clean-Cut Kid
All That He was
The Last Session
AIDS - The Musical!
The AIDS Show
A Hard Time to Be Single
An Unfinished Song
And Now, For My Next Life
Zero Patience: A Musical About AIDS
Most Men Are

Also, Angels in America has been adapted into an opera.

Friendofethelm
#10re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/19/08 at 10:02am

THE LAST SESSION by Steve Schalchlin and Jim Brochu is a wonderful, small cast show about living with AIDS that still resonates today. Also, their other, more recent Off-Broadway musical, THE BIG VOICE: GOD OR MERMAN?, though not exclusively about the illness, deals with it, too. For more information, visit Steve's website, www.bonusround.com.

SporkGoddess
#11re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 7/19/08 at 12:53pm

Doesn't Dream True by Ricky Ian Gordon also deal with HIV? I haven't been able to find out much about the plot, but from what I've read, it sounds like it does.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#12re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/9/19 at 12:36pm

I saw Zero Patience recently and was impressed. It's a Canadian film musical from 1993 about the flight attendant who was falsely accused of bringing AIDS to the U.S. His ghost, dubbed Patient Zero, haunts a scientist as they attempt to clear his name. The songs range from sweet to raunchy. Typical "I want" and "I love you" ballads mixed with drag queens singing about safe sex and naked men singing about bathhouse etiquette. I was expecting a train wreck but the film is quite enjoyable.

It was brought to my attention after reading some articles on "The New Queer Cinema" of the 1990's, thought it's more obscure than films like "The Living End" and "Swoon." You can purchase the DVD, and most of it is on YouTube, but it doesn't appear to be available on streaming services.

Here are some of the more safe for work clips:

Just Like Scheherazade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXf6fZPW2gU

Miss HIV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVi4pPDdKI

Has anyone else here seen it?

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#13re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/10/19 at 1:04pm

Also not a musical, but Jeffrey.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#14re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/10/19 at 1:05pm

The Book of Mormon

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#15re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/10/19 at 2:11pm

Not sure if this is what you meant, but Quilt: A Musical Celebration is a good one! https://www.mtishows.com/news/spotlighting-quilt-a-musical-celebration

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

JSquared2
#16re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/10/19 at 3:59pm

There's also THE LIFE, which ends at the start of the AIDS epidemic.

ArtMan
#17re: Musicals that deal with AIDS
Posted: 4/10/19 at 4:47pm

JSquared2 said: "There's also THE LIFE, which ends at the start of the AIDS epidemic."

I originally was going to post The Life also.  I saw the production on Broadway and remember tearing up (which is something I rarely do at a show).  Then later, at the Tony's afterparty, tearing up again when I met Lilias White.  Before I posted, I wanted to make sure I remembered the show correctly and I read the Wikepedia overview.  There is no place in their write-up, that they mention any of the characters having Aids or the start of the epidemic.  I remembered Lilias White's character in the show,  stating she didn't feel good and didn't know why.  I was thinking, because of what I read, do I remember this show differently?

Updated On: 4/10/19 at 04:47 PM

Videos