Best Seat in the House

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#1Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:34pm

I know that this is a matter of opinion, but what's the best seat in the house? (Especially for "Little Mermaid", "Lion King", & "Legally Blonde"?)

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#2re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:36pm

I am an up close and center guy.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:39pm

Little Mermaid - avoid first few rows. I sat in the front row and the stage is too high. Same with Legally Blonde.

Lion King - I sat in the first row, and the stage was lower, so my view wasn't obstructed...people recommend sitting a bit further back so you can enjoy the scenery.

I recommend in the center orchestra the 5th-10th row, give or take a couple of rows.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Zeitoujo
#3re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:39pm

second row center mezz for all!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Gary Indiana
#4re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:10pm

I think front row mezz is best for the Lion King since you get a better overall picture of the stage, and with front row you don't have to worry about people in front of you being distracting.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#5re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:15pm

Personal preference, yo. I'm very much a distance queen myself and would really rather sit in the front row with no one sat in front of me and my neck craned bizarrely than further back with my head in a more normal place but the possibility of someone's bobbing 'fro obstructing my vision.

Failing that, I'll take partial view, because I'm cheap and no one minds you contorting yourself for a decent view quite as much as they do when you sit elsewhere.

I think traditionally people like the front of the circle (uh... mezzanine?) because it puts you close but elevated so you can see much of the stage, but as I said; it's really a matter of personal preference. Front row is my awesome, even if that does mean you're going to end up with a lap full of soldiers or a face full of poo at some point during the proceedings.

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#7re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:45pm

I tried finding seats (For 2 people) for "Little Mermaid" @ ticketmaster, but all the seats really suck. The seat options are like "Right of center,Orchestra" or like Front Mezzanine Row D or something like that. Has anyone seat in the Middle/ Rear Mezzaine @ Lunt Fontanne Theater before? If you did, how was the view?
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 06:45 PM

Zeitoujo
#8re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:53pm

the view from the mezz is AMAZINg. but don't waste ur time or money at Mermaid...

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#9re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:54pm

Is something wrong w/ Mermaid?

sleepyguy1717
#10re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 6:56pm

I would also like to know how the rear mezz seats are for Mermaid.

In general, however, I like anywhere in the orchestra. I'm afraid of heights so the front mezz kinda freaks me out. But even the partial view seats, like at Wicked, were fine for me. But like Weez said, that's just my personal preference.

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 7:07pm

Having sat in the mezz at Mermaid, I think it's an orchestra show. A lot of the "effects" looked VERY cheesy from the mezz that I guess would look slightly better if you're not looking down at them.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#12re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 7:12pm

I wasn't a fan of the mezz at Little Mermaid, mainly because the wave effects looked like stupid plexi glass, I just feel the show would be better 8-10 rows back in the orch

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#13re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 7:13pm

Those would be the effects I was talking about. :) I just found them ridiculous from the mezz.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

sleepyguy1717
#14re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 7:19pm

As for Legally Blonde, I would advise if you sit in the orchestra, sit in front of the mezz overhang. It wasn't bad at all, but in the Omigod You Guys with the house set piece, it really bothered me.

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#15re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:06pm

First row center mezz is the best for any show.

Second choice for me would be about 4th or 5th row center orchestra more right than left (which I guess would be stage left). lol I don't know why I have a preference on side.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#16re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:23pm

I'm a nut also for front row mezzanine for almost any show, particularly musicals with dancing. The only exception is the front row in the Hilton which is so far back, it's practically on Staten Island.

ashley0139
#18re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:01am

Those would be the effects I was talking about. :) I just found them ridiculous from the mezz.

They are no better from the orchestra.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:04am

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 12:04 AM

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#20re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:50am

So for "Little Mermaid," is it better to get a orchestra seat or mezzanine??

Is Orchestra V ok? Updated On: 7/29/08 at 01:50 AM

rowlinvale2 Profile Photo
rowlinvale2
#21re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 2:30am

there's nothing better than front and center orchestra. depending on the stage height, the 2-5th row is usually the best. i just can't stand seeing shows from so far that you can't clearly see the expressions on the actors' faces. i've only seen a show from the balcony once and never again! i'd rather pay a little bit more...

Je veux vous frapper avec un poisson.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 4:36am

I don't konw what the overhang is like at the Lunt, but orchestra is definitely better than mezz for Mermaid. Hey, maybe the overhang will block out the totally obvious body doubling in a couple of places. There's an idea...

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#23re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:52pm

For "Lion King," is the $51.25 seat ok? It's like the 9th-11th row of mezz

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#24re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:18pm

I think that would be alright for Lion King. Though I haven't seen it since it changed theaters. :/

"The only exception is the front row in the Hilton which is so far back, it's practically on Staten Island."

LOL I watch shows from Staten Island all the time! On my couch, BLs, some potato chips. It's great. re: Best Seat in the House

I hate the mezz in the Hilton. I sat there once for 42nd Street (and worse I sat balcony for Chitty) and could not see any details or expressions.

Bwaybaby42, you can always bring some binoculars with you JUST in case you find your seats are further back than you would like.
I wish I would have brought them for Applause at City Center this past winter. Yikes. Now THAT is a theater where it's worth paying for orchestra.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

bwbaby42 Profile Photo
bwbaby42
#25re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:36pm

For "Little Mermaid," which seat is better?
Orchestra Row V OR Front Mezzanine Row C

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#26re: Best Seat in the House
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:41pm

I would go with something in the middle orchestra for Little Mermaid. I sat in Row Y for Beauty and didn't find the rear orch bad at all contrary to what people say. Are both Orch V and Mezz C center? Mezz in the Lunt is good, except people are saying the effects don't look as good from the Mezz...I'd go with Orch V.

I never sat in the $51.25 Lion King seats.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos