News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#2re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:29pm

'Hairspray' also. The new songs rocked my world, and I did like Nikki better.

And 'Camelot'. It's lacking a lot of the songs, and the cast aren't really singers, but it breaks my heart every time. ;_;

And 'West Side Story'. I get confused and offended if I hear WSS and it's not the movie (singing XD) cast.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:31pm

Overall, I liked the sound of the Chicago soundtrack better than the cast recording; however I enjoyed some songs from the cast recording better such as "We Both Reached for the Gun."

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mekroth
#4re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:33pm

I third "Hairspray".
And I also like "Fiddler on the Roof"'s soundtrack better than any cast recording.
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 08:33 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:37pm

I have both the revival and the film recordings of Chicago and I find myself reaching for the film version over the revival.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#6re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:48pm

Definitely Hairspray

The Sound of Music (Love Mary Martin, but Julie Andrews IS Maria Von Trap IMO)

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#7re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:51pm

Absolutely West Side Story and The Sound of Music.

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#8re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:52pm

RENT: it rocks harder than the OBC.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#9re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:56pm

Aside from one or two songs, there is no entire soundtrack that I think does a better job than the OBC.

LePetiteFromage
#10re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:58pm

Sound of Music

Mary Poppins I know some of the songs are different, but I'll always prefer the movie soundtrack.

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#11re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 8:59pm

With the dreadful OLC recording of Mamma Mia!, the films soundtrack is a breath of fresh air. "Does Your Mother Know" is now on par with what you see on stage.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#12re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:01pm

The Sound of Music
West Side Story
Oklahoma!
Carousel
Flower Drum Song
Mary Poppins
South Pacific

SporkGoddess
#13re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:08pm

Oh good, I'm not the only one who enjoys the WSS soundtrack more than the cast recording!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

brochatkid
#14re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:22pm

Jesus Christ Superstar. Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson rock!

SporkGoddess
#15re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:23pm

Oh, yeah, JCS is another.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#16re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:29pm

All of the Disney soundtracks that have become musicals.

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#17re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:34pm

Same for me with WSS and Chicago. And honestly, I don't think I have ever heard the OBC of Sound of Music. I grew up my whole life listening to the soundtrack and I can't imagine hearing it any different!

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#18re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:40pm

Hairspray, Rent and Chicago I find are much stronger in the film versions.

As much as its understandable, it gets irritating when you go back to listening to the cast recordings and they appear to plod along at a snails pace in comparison to the film soundtrack.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#19re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:55pm

Chicago

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#20re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 10:09pm

Paint Your Wagon
Damn Yankees (ONLY because it's in stereo)

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#21re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 10:12pm

Little Shop of Horrors, i love the soundtrack.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#22re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 10:45pm

Wow, I thought I was going to be alone and killed for mentioning Hairspray. The pros to the OBC: Kerry Butler and Laura Bell Bundy definitely were better than Amanda Bynes and Brittany Snow. However, I really feel that Nikki Blonsky sings better than Marissa Janet Winokur. I think I liked James Marsden better too. The music was also just a little more fun sounding in the movie.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

skb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
#23re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:18pm

Mamma Mia. Because the on the OLC, Sophie is SOOO whiny. It makes me cringe. And her accent seems really fake to me.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

robinandmarty
#24re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:20pm

Marieanne2, I 100% agree with everything you said! Hairspray...no contest!

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#25re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:28pm

I third the West Side Story Soundtrack. Not only is it better than the original cast but it is superior to all subsequent recordings of West Side Story, including Leonard Bernstein’s own. Also the 1962 soundtrack of Gypsy has the biggest orchestra and best orchestrations of any recording of this score. And the soundtrack of the film version of Oliver is played and sung with a level of brilliance that far outclasses any stage recording.

The Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, Flower Drum Song, The King and I and especially Carousel are gigantically superior to the original cast versions. No Broadway album can compete with the 65 piece orchestras and expanded orchestrations and choral arrangements used in these films.

In a class by itself is the 1958 soundtrack to South Pacific. It is simply the greatest recording of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s score ever. Sure, most of the singing was by voice doubles, but on a recording who cares, especially when the singing is this magnificent. Also the singers were hand picked by Rodgers and Hammerstein themselves. Mitzi Gaynor, who did do her own singing, has the perfect voice for Nellie Forbush and Ken Darby’s choral arrangements and Robert Russell Bennett’s expanded orchestrations blow away all other recordings by a mile, including the new 2008 Broadway revival. The lush atmospheric orchestrations, played by the 100 piece 20th Century Fox Studio Orchestra, augmented by many exotic instruments conducted by 9 time Academy Award winner Alfred Newman, leave every other recording of South Pacific in the dust. Also Giorgio Tozzi, who sings Emile de Becque and Bill Lee, who sings LT. Cable on the soundtrack, are far better and more expressive singers than Paulo Szot and Matthew Morrison on the new 2008 revival recording. Lee’s performances of Younger than Springtime & Carefully Taught are the best vocals ever of these songs. Richard Rodgers himself said, at the time of the film’s release, that the 1958 soundtrack was the most perfect recording of South Pacific ever. I agree.

Other soundtracks that I think are better than the Broadway originals are: Finian's Rainbow, Call Me Madam. The Pajama Game, Bells are Ringing, L'il Abner and Fiddler On the Roof.

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 11:28 PM

#26re: Movie soundtracks you liked better than cast recordings
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:30pm

basically what everyone else has said before me.

WSS - God bless Marni Nixon.
The Sound of Music - how could you EVER beat Julie Andrews?
all Disney. ever.
there are some aspects of the Hairspray soundtrack (Nikki Blonsky, James Marsden) that I like, but I'm partial to the OBC.

Videos