musicalmaster703
#26re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 9:11am

LuPonatic turn on your PMs

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#27re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 12:36pm

It explains in the sidebar of each song who is singing it on YouTube.

I believe BBBW is the opening number in which Shrek leaves home to go out on his own. ICGUTT is what Donkey sings when he first sees Shrek's swamp about not wanting to leave and making himself comfortable there. IKTT is what Fiona sings while she's trapped in the castle from a little girl to a woman about her hope of being rescued. And I'm not sure about THE WALL (it's the only song I didn't think was mediocre at best) but maybe it's the Act 1 finale although I could very well be wrong as the Act 1 finale is probably some big production number....

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#28re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:16pm

THE WALL was most likely in act 2 this is after the princess rejects him after seeing his face kinda like Betrayed from Producers type song or Rose's Turn from gypsy.

daspazoo
#29re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:20pm

Can anyone PM me the demo tracks? Thanks!

...this bird is singing.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#30re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:26pm

Maybe it's just me, but "The Wall" really reminds me of "I Hate the Bus" from CAROLINE, OR CHANGE.
I think the tracks are...alright. The music is great but the lyrics leave some to be desired.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 8/2/08 at 01:26 PM

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#31re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:32pm

The music is great but the lyrics leave some to be desired

Agreed

daspazoo
#32re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 2:30pm

I'm not as bothered by the lyrics as some, but what I am LOVING is the orchestrations! Fun fun fun...

My favorite of the four is def. 'Big Bright Beautiful World.' In general, I'm a big fan of those kind of epic, storytelling numbers that span time, place, and characters.

...this bird is singing.

Tarzangrl627 Profile Photo
Tarzangrl627
#34re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:30pm

This show sounds cool. I know Chester Gregory from Tarzan so i think its great that he is in it. And then i dont really know much about the other cast members. i know some about Sutton Foster but, not to much. Sounds cool though, when i tell my friends there like... "Shrek... the musical?" and then i talk about Lord of the Rings which is another musical that people probably werent expecting lol

Judas Profile Photo
Judas
#35re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:01pm

It could work, and it could be great, but the demos suck. I hope they worked on them quite a bit before the out-of-town tryout. I really want Tesori to find some success. I think her score for Caroline, or Change so overlooked by Avenue Q (which is cute and fun, but there are some duds). "The Wall" was decent, but seems out of place almost, while the "Big ... World" is boring, and Sutton's song is just dull and predictable. I don't mind Donkey's song, but I'm not in love with it either. But it could work with a great performance.

thevolleyballer
#36re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 8:08pm

I'd love this demo, too!

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#37re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:40pm

Id love to hear the demo? Anyone out there wanna send?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#38re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:41pm

I would love to hear the songs if someone would PM them to me.

Thanks.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

broadwayman17
#39re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 12:26am

^same with me

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

25th Annual Speller Profile Photo
25th Annual Speller
#40re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 12:41am

oh, that makes sense.

My take on the songs is that the music is fun to listen to. As long as I do not pay attention to the words.

"I've had a lot of failed relationships, I don't get involved because I'm not equipped. I believe that the world should revolve around me"

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#41re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:53am

Does anyone know who did the orchestrations? I heard somewhere that it was Christopher Jahnke, and if that's the case - I'm surprised, coz his orchestrations are always absolutely shocking.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#42re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:20am

wow.
Some of those lyrics are horrendous!
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 02:20 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#43re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:41am

The songs are all on Youtube.

I rather enjoyed them all (though "I Could Get Used to This" needs serious help lyrically), but I thought the best was "I Know It's Today". That was a wonderful song.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

thevolleyballer
#44re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:53am

I like the concepts for all of them, but I feel like they weren't what I expected. They were fine, don't get me wrong (except "The Wall"... not a fan), but I just expected something different. I'll have to get used to this. Although, the Little Mermaid score turned out to be completely different from the demo, so I'm not quite judging just yet.

I love the idea of "I Know It's Today," though. I adore Sutt.

gypsy4
#45re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 9:42am

I can't wait to hear this score sung by an amazeing cast.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#46re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 9:50am

The music sounds pretty good, but the lyrics need serious work. But does anyone else think that Brian D'Arcy James sounds exactly like Mike Myers? I wonder if that's intentional.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#47re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/3/08 at 9:57am

Brian D'arcy James' accent.

I agree that the music is so fun, but the lyrics are lacking.

The wall is my favorite so far.

I can't believe I am actually looking forward to this.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#48re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 5:34pm

The Seattle Times published an extensive article about the design of Shrek. It includes five pictures of the set / costums and props:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2008101146_shrek100.html

shiz_student94
#49re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 5:43pm

Before the cast was announced I was pretty much dreading this...but since Sutton is in it I know have reason to see it. The orchestra tests are pretty good! Agreed, the lyrics do need some work...but they have time to revise. I'm rather excited now! The cast is just fantastic!

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

LeadingMan051990
#50re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 7:07pm

can someone PM me the demo tracks or how to get them? thanks :)