pixeltracker

The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.- Page 2

The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#25re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 3:50am

But 17 years ago standing ovations were still not common (which is why it was pointed out in the advertising), now it's almost compulsory at every show. I don't think it's anything do with America particularly - 'feel-good' shows like Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You (among others) are directed to almost force a s.o out of the audience by the end.

I think the actors deserve a standing ovation for the hard work that they put into the show.

That is what applause and a pay packet are for.

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 03:50 AM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#26re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 3:58am

Isn't the point of critic to be critical?
Why's everyone bothered? Disagree... but isn't it his job to question stuff... to cast a critical eye. I'm missing something maybe?

Jesus saves. I spend.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#27re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:47am

Im sorry but hes totally right

nearly every show ive seen in NY people have given it a standing ovation...why? A standing ovation used to be something that was reserved for something incredible, a show which pushed you to the point you had to stand up and applause enthusiastically, now it seems to be the norm.

Here in the UK, if the show is incredible and really stands out it will get a standing ovation but not just for the sake of it, something american audiences do.

The West End has a lot of them shows with medleys at the end where everyone gets up and dances (We Will Rock You, Mamma Mia, Footloose etc) but that's a different matter

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Anon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
#28re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:02am

well said SADMN2!

everybody stands up and dances during megamixs but that is not a standing ovation - the last few visits i've had into town didn't get a standing ovation at all - but still americans clap at everything....i'm sorry - but you do

**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**

COOOOLkid
#29re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:31am

I'm rather sick of this pretentious British point of view that is basically saying, "We're more sophisticated than you stupid Americans; we only give standing ovations when something is worthy of our standing up so I can feel smart for being able to appreciate the performance."

You can judge whether a show is worthy of a standing ovation or not for yourself, but you shouldn't be judging about other people's enjoyment of the show. Are NY audiences/tourists more easily entertained? Maybe so. But what is wrong with giving a standing ovation? People who stand up were entertained! I don't think I've ever seen ANYBODY standing up without a big smile on his/her face. If it has become more common in NY than in London, why can't Londoners just let it go instead of going through all this "In London, it's better because blah blah blah"

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

#30re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:36am

Personally, sometimes I go to a show that I feel is so wonderful that I do feel the needs to stand (I think Gypsy would be the most recent example.) But most of the time I feel forced to stand because the majority of people around me are standing-usually it is to just see the curtain call. Now whether or not these standing people at these shows are "theatre people" or not-I obviously can't tell, but I am suspecting that the people I saw stand up at Cry-Baby were perhaps not the most informed theatre crowd. That being said-I think that it's hard to say what is worthy of a standing ovation. Everyone has different opinions on shows, look at the lists of our favorites shows on here and you are going to roll your eyes at some people's choices. But yes-standing ovations are too common place now and have lost a lot of their meaning. Patti Lupone might expect one when she bows, but she deserves it-the question is, do you stand at the beginning of the curtain call for the entire company, or is it more powerful to show Patti your collective respect for her performance if hundreds of people rise at the same time when she come out to bow?

It's a tricky debate and very subjective. My boyfriend and I have this thing at local theaters around Boston, where during a curtain call if people start standing we'll look at each other and say something like "is this the kind of place where you have to stand up?" Usually it is-and we feel obligated to not be the spoil sports in the audience.

I teach high school theater and honestly, not every show my kids do is worthy of a standing ovation, and sometimes I wish families would stay seated. I think that shows my students that while your work was good-you still need to work. Giving that standing ovation right away is like casting every child, giving them all solos and lines and handing out "Everyone is a winner" trophies-it's just not true.

Bust your ass-get a standing ovation. Your mom is going to stand up no matter what you do-cause she is your mom. Try to resist the pressure from the tour buses to leap to your feet at a show you feel is second rate. And if you want to support the hard work the performers put into the show-wait for them and congratulate them later-that is much more personal and meaningful, and go see the next show they do since they are in a sucky one at the moment.

And that concludes my morning rant-thanks for indulging me. I'll let my therapist know that he can have the week off.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#31re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:40am

What a douchebag. It's one thing to criticize, and another to do it with such venom.

Stay away from Americans...we wont mind.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#32re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:41am

CoolKid no one is saying us Brits think we are more sophisticated than americans (i don't believe that for a second, sophistication is an individual attribute not a generalization based on a country)what we are saying is that Americans are more OTT when it comes to things like this...and we love you for it

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#33re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:53am

This critic really would been pissed at the City Center opening of Gypsy. Some folks stood for the overture.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#34re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:16am

My boyfriend and I have this thing at local theaters around Boston, where during a curtain call if people start standing we'll look at each other and say something like "is this the kind of place where you have to stand up?" Usually it is-and we feel obligated to not be the spoil sports in the audience.

I am SO incredibly willing to be a spoil sport. It's incredibly awkward sometimes, but I downright REFUSE to give standing ovations unless I really feel inspired. And really, why should people's enjoyment be spoiled if they're standing and I'm not? I just like my standing ovations to mean something. ESPECIALLY in a case of something like the recent revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I thought was downright AWFUL, and people all around me got to their feet. Why should I stand up for a show I didn't even enjoy?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#35re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:21am

Mmm. While the angry, self-important tone of the article isn't exactly helpful, I do agree that the effect of a standing ovation is somewhat lessened with frequency.

Personally, I feel no shame about remaining seated while everyone around me springs up, and I can literally count the number of standing Os I've given on the fingers and thumb of one hand. And three of those were at the Histories Cycle, eight Shakespeares in one weekend. Considering the ensemble understudied themselves, they totally earned their standing Os not only by each member having anything up to the equivalent of three and a half entire Shakespeare plays stored in their heads, but also by managing to do a DAMN FINE job on top of that.

I'm lazy really. I enjoy sitting...

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#36re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:21am

It annoys me that people clap for everything, nevermind the overuse of standing ovations.
I really only stand for a performance that I feel deserve it. I don't get up with the rest of the audience if I don't feel I should. I will clap to be polite even if I wasn't entirely thrilled with the show. I certainly don't clap after EVERY song in the show.

I have actually initiated one or two standing O's mid-show b/c the performace(s) were actually THAT deserving. I just always thought it was funny at how many people followed me, wondering if they actually felt the same way about that performance as I did, or if they're just going along with what I'm doing b/c they think they're supposed to?

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#37re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:26am

"I think the actors deserve a standing ovation for the hard work that they put into the show."

That is ridiculous. The actors are doing their job. A standing ovation should be reserved for performances that completely blow you away, not just for the fact that the actors "worked hard." Your attitude is exactly what makes standing ovations completely meaningless.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#38re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:29am

I love how the thread was so positive last night and now this morning it is really nothing but people agreeing with the article. Cranky morning people, anyone?

My feelings?

How DARE we stand up to support an actor or a show!? We should be punished and are nothing but stupid tourists who don't know anything about Broadway.

You don't want to stand up, please don't. I'm going to stand up. And PLEASE stop whining about those who do feel the need.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#39re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:31am

Hey, it's 3.30 in the afternoon here. ^_^ I'd've voiced my opinion last night when I posted the thread, but I was sleeeeepy.

Maybe it really is a British/American divide; last night the Brits were in bed so the Americans came in all positive about standing Os, and now the Brits are aware, we're adding how we personally don't like 'em as much? re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:31 AM

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#40re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:34am

How is an actor supposed to stay grounded and obtain SOME humility if they think they're better then they are?

I'm not saying that most performances aren't good, but Standing Ovation worthy? All of them? Really? I think one would have to have very little taste or knowledge in theatre to actually think every show and actor is worth an SO.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#41re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:38am

If you stand for every show, what are you then meant to do when you see something absolutely spectacular? Sure, you could go up to the cast at the stage door and tell them, but what if you don't have time? What if you're one of these people who gets all shy and inarticulate when confronted by real live actors? What if they don't come out? I like saving my standing Os for hella special occasions. (Who's the person who suggested dropping trou' and giving it a wave? What if you don't have an oul' fella to wave?! My girls are staying put, thank you so much. :P)

If you want to stand for a show, that's great! Show 'em your appreciation, I don't mind. :) I personally won't stand unless I'm blown away by the mind-boggling experience, and that's my choice, just as the decision to stand is your choice. It's the old "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend your ability to say it" thang, but with a theatrical bent.

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:38 AM

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#42re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:40am

re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.

Every show i see on Broadway it seems the audience has to stand the first minute they can. I really cant remember the last show I've seen in years and years that didn't get an ovation???
Why?
Why do audiences in American stand for EVERY show
It doesn't happen in London, Australia Europe or anywhere I've had the pleasure of seeing 100s of shows. So many shows that have blown me simply away along with the rest of audience haven't been stood for many, many times. The audiences gave it gracious applause and the company took their bows- end of performance- nothing forced. Perfect.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:40 AM

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#43re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:53am

I can't say that I disagree with the point of his article. I've seen too many shows the last 2 seasons in which I thought unworthy Standing Ovations were given. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Standing Ovations should be reserved for the exceptional; not the merely good, the mediocre, the passable or aspiring just to be bad shows and/or performances.

I do, however, object to his wording, "filty American habit." It would seem to me a seasoned writer could have found a way to get his point across with more tact and less insult.

Marcus2
#44re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:54am

Standing ovations should only be given if you really think the show was great and the cast worked amazingly hard. Most times I see shows I don't stand, however when I saw wicked (A far few times) I stand when the Elphaba and Glinda come out, they usually deserve it for that bear of a show.

I was also one of the only people in the theatre to stand for Elenor Roger in Evita, I really thought she deserved it.

Many shows these days force audience to their feet with megamixed etc. People like to have a good night out. If they want to stand let em, its not the end of the world!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#45re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:59am

Well I won't be swept into the "All Americans" give standing ovations line. I don't always stand. And in the case where people are standing and I am not, I either gather my things to leave or if I am in an aisle seat, I step into the aisle to watch the curtain call. But I don't clap.

Just give the world Love.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#46re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:16am

"The argument against the standing ovation is simple. If you do it for virtually everything, it soon becomes valueless."

REALLY now?

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#47re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:22am

I don't give many standing ovations myself, trying to reserve it for when I truly think it is deserved. However, that doesn't mean that others around me can't - I realize my opinion may be different then theirs.

For example, I saw the Whistle Down the Wind tour in Boston with a friend. We both thought it was dreadful and quite possibly the worst show either of us had seen. However, the older couple in front of us enjoyed it immensely and stood up at the end immediately (we looked at each confused wondering if we had all watched the same show). My friend and I gave it polite applause, but despite the fact that the people standing blocked our view, we didn't feel the show deserved a standing ovation.

I do notice, however, how a standing ovation can "catch on" so-to-speak. Meaning that once one person starts it, others feel they need to contribute as well. And soon the whole house is standing. You know a show is well received if the most the audience is on its feet at the same time when the curtain falls (or when one particular actor comes out to bow).

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 11:22 AM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#48re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:35am

Some shows are so boring, I give a standing ovation just to get my damned circulation going again.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

#49re: The standing ovation is a filthy American habit.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 5:05pm

I just remembered that both times that I saw The Wild Party on Broadway-my friend and I were the only people in the audience that stood up during the curtain call. It was obvious that the actors saw us and appreciated us standing. I know that most people hated that show, but I loved it and thought the performances were breath taking. I showed my support, and even though we were just about alone in the audience standing, I didn't care.

Videos