The Worst Theatre in the US

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#1The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:28pm

If there a worse place to view a musical than the San Diego Civic Theatre, I'd like to know.

The SDCT is a modest little barn seating 2967 souls in extreme agony. There are 25 rows in the orchestra section and behind that up three mini steps are eight more in the dress circle. If you could rotate the theatre 180 degrees, the people in the dress circle would be about half way between the stage and Mexico.

And get this: There are 57 seats in a row without a center aisle. The seats have about one inch of padding and wood arms which have been worn smooth on the inner surface from the thousands of butts that have squeezed into them over the years. There is virtually no leg room. Seat # 1 is in the direct center of the row with 56 and 57 on the opposite side aisles. If you are unlucky enough to be in #1, you have to climb and wiggle over 28 others to get to your seat. The doors under the green emergency signs might as well be props and you drink a refreshment at you own risk.

The orchestra and dress circle hold nearly 1650. There is no decoration. The Maquis is ornate by comparison.

Then we have the mezzanine and balcony. To get a feel for the view from the upper balcony you need to imagine the stage of, say, the St. James. Then take some electrical tape and crop an inch from the top and bottom of you cell phone screen. Now just place the open phone at the bottom of a flight of stairs and climb about six and you have it.

I was sitting in the second row of the mezzanine for what was a seriously terrific touring performance of Phantom. It was only due to the fact that I all ready know the lyrics that I could understand anything sung by more than I person at once. The group numbers might as well have been Gilbert and Sullivan.

All the touring Broadway shows end up at the Civic. It's such a shame.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:38pm

re: The Worst Theatre in the US

Judas Profile Photo
Judas
#3re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:42pm

Oh that is rather boring looking.

I wish the people who invested in theatre and theaters actually cared about them instead of the profit they will make. There are so many theaters around the country that are total crap. Our "Civic Center" theater is huge - like 3,000 seats, and its horribly 70s. Whereas, right across the street we have the "Alabama Theater" which is a gorgeous old theater; however, the stage is too small for most touring shows, so they get the bump. Updated On: 8/2/08 at 06:42 PM

tourboi
#4re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:41pm

In fairness, some touring shows in San Diego play other (smaller) venues nearby (AVE Q, anyone?).

I've toured through the Civic, and while it is a barn and very, very large, it's a great place to have a show. The staff is incredibly nice, and the backstage spaces are great. Plus they throw a barbeque for you! re: The Worst Theatre in the US

Love me some San Diego.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#5re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:42pm

Morosco, where is that?

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#6re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:43pm

Holy "You better hope the person in the middle of the row doesn't have a bladder problem!"

57 seats across???

That's Church...not a theater! HAHA!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

tourboi
#7re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:46pm

Both the Sacramento Community Center Theatre, and American Musical Theatre in San Jose are built similarly. European style seating with no isles.

You sit down and pray everyone in your row has made a trip to the washroom ahead of time!

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#8re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:51pm

The Auditorium Theatre in Chicago is HORRIBLE.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

tourboi
#9re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:53pm

The Auditorium is gorgeous, but just... huge.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#10re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:54pm

Yeah, that's what I meant... HUGE.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#11re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:37pm

Boring! You wanna see boring!?!? Look at the theatre I go to.

I have never been in a more plain theatre than this. But this is where I see the majority of my shows.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#12re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:40pm

Touring shwos go there?

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

defyingravity07
#13re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:42pm

Yeah, the majority is Non-equity but the shows they get are good. They're getting Ain't Misbehavin', Sweeney, Drowsy, & Hairspray again this season.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#14re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:46pm

A Equity tour will play there? Do they even need mics? Lol

defyingravity07
#15re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:48pm

Yeah, actually it has more seats than the "Neil Simon" There is like 1600 seats.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#16re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:55pm

The Broward Center is pretty much a barn. I wouldn't see a touring show there if I were given a ticket

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#17re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 11:15pm

57 seats in a row without a center aisle. That sounds really really bad. I wouldn't be surprised if most people had to get up around 20 times for people getting in and out, before the show and during intermission.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#18re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 11:33pm

Found this on google

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#19re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/2/08 at 11:42pm

What about it?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#20re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 12:18am

Morosco, where is that?

The picture is of the San Diego Civic Theatre.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#21re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:17am

The Broward Center of the Performing Arts in Fort Lauderdale, FL is a GORGEOUS venue. I've been going to that theatre for ages AND enjoyed EVERY show I've ever seen there -- even the gigantic 1st US Nat'l Tours of SUNSET BLVD. and MISS SAIGON were sheer perfection.

Now... I've only sat in the center orchestra and within the first 10 rows so I don't know if this validates my perfect experiences as I've heard the mezzanine and (God forbid) balcony seats (including the side box seats) are simply horrendous.

Where you sit has alot to do with one's experience at ANY theatre.

Inside the Broward Center:

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#22re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:33am

The Hippodrome Theatre at the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center in Baltimore, MD is far from being the worst theatre (it's actually very beautiful) but the balcony is horrible to sit in. You can't see it in this picture, but there's a railing dividing the upper and lower balcony. If you're sitting in the upper balcony, as I usually am whenever I see shows here, depending on where you're sitting the railing sometimes obscures your view of lower part of the stage. But if you happen to be sitting in the orchestra, the view is usually great.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 10:33 AM

javertim
#23re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:59am

You're right! I love the Hippodrome, but the balcony isn't the greatest. As far as the ugliest / most boring theatre interior I have encountered, I would have to name the Opera House of the Kennedy Center in D.C. The exterior hall is truly epic in size and grandeur, but the auditorium itself is just blaahhhh. It makes me feel as if I'm trapped inside a well-rusted tuna fish can.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#24re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:09am

Javertim you're right about the Kennedy Center Opera House. It's a huge, huge space, and you lose any sense of intimacy with the performers, unless you happen to be in the first couple rows. I love walking in the Grand Foyer though!

The Opera House is just way too big for most of the touring shows that play there. I've seen the tours of Piazza, Hairspray and Little Women there and they were all dwarfed by the enormous space there. The only shows I saw there that seem able to fill the space were Wicked and Phantom of The Opera. I wish the mid-size tours that play the Kennedy Center would use the Eisenhower Theater since that's a smaller space.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 11:09 AM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#25re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:31am

The Auditorium Theater in Chicago is beautiful!
Great to see a concert or dance... but the balcony/Mezz is SO far away from the stage! Not good for theater... but... they don't really run much theater there since it was taken over by Roosevelt.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Videos