MAME kinda sucks

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:09pm

About every two days, someone posts a "who can we cast in MAME?" thread...or posts on another thread. Why? This show is a dated, overlong relic from the dreaded sixties with a good-not-great score that would be like boarding the Titanic for any actress who would dare try.

Last year it was "Ebersole needs to do MAME" this year its "LuPone needs to do MAME".

Thoughts?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:13pm

I'm indifferent to the show, but the choices people give are always so damn old!

Gothampc
#2re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:14pm

Bette Midler needs to do Mame.

Unfortunately in this Broadway climate it needs a huge star to bring in the audiences. Let's not forget that even in the original Angela Lansbury had Jerry Herman rehearsing her. The producers didn't think Lansbury could carry the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:17pm

I think Streep should do it. She played 40 so well in Mamma Mia!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#4re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:20pm

Has anyone actually seen MAME in the last ten years or so? Not the movie! Its.....bloated quaintsy-waintsy. It don't work.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

#5re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:20pm

I love Mame! It's one of my favorite shows, actually. And Mame ranges in age from probably 30 to about 60 at the end of the show.

husk_charmer
#6re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:23pm

I agree Joe-
Mame isn't all that dated, it's a pretty solid period piece, remember it starts right around 1929, and ends 19 years later in 1949. The score is a gem, and with the right actress it's a fantastic evening.

The thing is, you need someone who is in the middle of that age range, yet young enough to be believeable in the first act, but not too old that she comes off as old at the end of the show.

My vote still goes to Lauren Graham.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#7re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:24pm

re: MAME kinda sucks

There is a drag performer in Lauderdale known as "Auntie Mame" - so I say "Auntie Mame" for "Mame"

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#8re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:25pm

Mame sucks? Sorry, I can't agree. I still find it funny and smart and dramatically plausible - with the exception of a few moments - and ultimately quite touching. Mame is great Leading Lady, why would you want to be without her?

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Gothampc
#9re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:36pm

"Mame isn't all that dated."

No, everyone has an Asian houseboy who talks with a silly accent. And everyone is shocked that unwed mothers parade themselves around without any shame.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:38pm

So it was dated when it came out?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#11re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:42pm

It's not a dated show, considering the time frame that the show takes place in........starting in 1928. In the 40's...an unwed mother was very shocking. These days, no one bats an eyes.

husk_charmer
#12re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:45pm

GothamPC-
To be dated it means that a piece has historically inaccurate stereotypes in it, or contains references or material that were so time specific, they don't hold as much resonance today.. The "silly" accent as you call it is reasonably typical of someone who spoke an Asian language (I forget Ito's nationality), and has learned English secondarily. And, while I don't even have a housekeeper, are you assuming that there are NO Asian housekeepers in America?

Personally, I think it just adds to Mame's kookiness and endearingness. There isn't a single racial slur about him, or anyone else said by Mame, Vera, or Patrick, and one could reasonably argue that Mame stands up against those with racial prejudice.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#13re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:49pm

Mame is not dated at all ... it takes place from the 1920s to the 1940s, and it represents those eras well. If Mame were to take place "in the present", it of course would be dated. But since the time frame is very clear, saying Mame is dated is like saying Fiddler on the Roof is dated ... after all ... matchmakers, arranged marriages, marrying outside the faith is taboo ... etc etc etc.

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#14re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:58pm

Please...lets NOT have Ms. Lupone ruin this show. The thing is...the character of MAME is a kind, fun-loving, free-spirited woman. And Lupone can only play the mean-spirited, driven, insane, selfish woman that she is in real life.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15re: MAME kinda sucks
Posted: 8/11/08 at 1:13pm

Please...lets NOT have bertandrew2 ruin any more threads. The thing is...BroadwayWorld is a kind, fun-loving, free-spirited place. And bertandrew2 can only play the mean-spirited, driven, insane, selfish woman that she is in real life.

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 01:13 PM

WOSQ
#16MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 1:23pm

To me Mame is a pleasant musical with some very good songs, but without any good raison d'etre.

But put the play Auntie Mame onstage and I'll be there in a heartbeat.

Roz Russell called the play, "Our revue without music".

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#17MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 2:56pm

Looking at Mame from a British perspective I don't understand why she "makes the South revive again". Why do they all get so excited about her in the title song? What was so wrong with the South that it needed to revive again and what did she actually do to achieve this?

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#18MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:25pm

"Looking at Mame from a British perspective I don't understand why she "makes the South revive again". Why do they all get so excited about her in the title song? What was so wrong with the South that it needed to revive again and what did she actually do to achieve this?"

She won his family over. It's a metaphor for winning the South over.

As to what is so wrong with the South....spend some time there. I lived in Georgia for awhile. The South has never gotten over the Civil War, and probably never will as they are so stuck in their own little "woe is me" paradigm.
Frankly I only go to the South when I need to.

I'd rather spend time in Liverpool than our South.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#19MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:26pm

and I love Mame.....if ever there was a "feel-good" Broadway show, it's Mame.

Not all Broadway shows have to have a message or a cause......some are just fun. Mame is one.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#20MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:35pm

I've only seen the film...

I think Mame is a good musical with a few standout numbers that make it classic. I'd like to see it revived and think that, with the right creative team, it could be phenomenal.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#21MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:40pm

I love Mame too, but I do think it has a message .... "Live, Live, Live! Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death. Live!!!!"

Gothampc
#22MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:50pm

"I don't understand why she "makes the South revive again".

It's a cheap lyric that Herman didn't think twice about.

Since the American Civil War (in the South called The War of Northern Aggression), there has always been a bit of rivalry on the part of the southern states. Herman is (mistakenly) saying that Mame is so wonderful, gracious, etc. that she has won over the South. However, if Jerry Herman had ever spent 10 seconds in the South, he would have realized that Southerners are very proud people. To praise Mame, a New Yorker, above a genteel Southern belle would never be done by Southern people.

eta: After the Civil War, the South remained poor for many years. Herman's lyric is trying to say that this wonderful bit of fresh air has brought joy to these impoverished Southerners.

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 03:50 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#23MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:13pm

I saw Ebersole in Mame at the Papermill a few years ago, and she was kinda boring, although Kelly Bishop was a terrific Vera. I do like the show, and would love to see Megan Mullally as Mame with Harriet Harris as Vera.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gothampc
#24MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:28pm

I say Bette Midler as Mame with Lily Tomlin as Vera

Videos