Gypsy rush question

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#1Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/12/08 at 9:14pm

How has the Gypsy rush been lately? Can you still get there after the B.O. opens and get tickets? And would they accept an eighth grade ID from the 07-08 school year?

Any help is appreciated!!

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/12/08 at 9:56pm

Let me put it this way...unless you're dead set on being right there in the front row getting a neck-ache, you can go at any time and get tickets. My roommate and I went on a Friday night after losing [title of show]'s lottery (and with the girl doing it, it took a while) ~ so it was we figure at least 7:15, probably 7:20 by the time we got there ~ and had no trouble getting tickets. They were orchestra side, but not a problem at all. Great seats!

In terms of an 07/08 school year one, unless school has started I would think so, but I can't answer definitively on that.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Broadway Baby 2
#2re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 12:19am

True the fantastic powers that be at Gypsy make student rush seats available to all students. Unless the show is completely sold out they sell front fow first then partial view followed by balcony seats. However, do your self a favor and get up early for front row. Be at the theatre by 8am. You will never experience anything like Patti's Roses Turn being performed that close to you. Unbelievably powerful.
Updated On: 8/13/08 at 12:19 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:40am

Just be prepared to shell out for a massage. You'll never experience anything like the neckache you'll have after looking virtually straight up for the entire performance.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 9:31am

I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with the seats, and I'm only 5'7".
When I saw a wednesday night performance, there was about 6-8 open seats in the front row.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 9:38am

I guess half an inch makes a big difference. I really didn't think the front row was that great, neackache aside. I'd rather be further back and able to take in the entire production.

Apparently I'm in the minority.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#6re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 9:46am

I was at this past Saturday's matinée and it was one of the most pleasurable experiences I've ever had rushing. I got there around 9:25 AM and there were about 25 people in line in front of me. At 10 on the button, the doors opened, and I was out of there with my ticket by about 10:05. They opened up two windows, the staff was courteous and in fact, someone tried to cut me in the line and the man behind the window called her out on it. Nicely done to the staff at the St. James! The b*tch at the Lunt Fontanne could take lessons from them.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 9:50am

"Apparently I'm in the minority."

I sat in the second or third row at the St. James before and thought the stage was too high. The front row isn't good unless you get an apple!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#8re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 1:51pm

I rushed last Wednesday for the 2:00pm matinee, got to the box office at 10:20am and got tickets with no problem. We were in the first row, 3 and 4 seats in. We did get an apple!

wicked_beast4---the guy didn't hardly even look at my student ID. Good luck on getting tickets, and enjoy the show. It's fantastic!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#9re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:29pm

Sitting in the front does have its drawbacks. Dont count on seeing Tulsa's legs when he's dancing in his solo song "All I Need is the Girl." Also missed June doing her little dance on her tippy toes, and the cute scene with Patti and Boyd as they fall down. Seeing Rose's Turn that close, with the little bulbs illuminating the front row makes you feel like you're part of the show, and it's indescribable seeing Patti that close.

I've seen it 4x now, so I suggest getting early and doing front row - and seeing it again from the side orch, it's good enough to see more than once and you get something different out of it when sitting in the front row and the side orch :)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:37pm

I got a ticket a while back I want to say maybe an hour or so before show time. I was in the balcony and the view was fine. However, it did take 3 Sherpas and a goat to get up those stairs to the balcony.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#11re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:37pm

If you don't want front row, go early and when you get to the window, ask to be in the right box. The show looks amazing from up there!

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#12re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:51pm

Don't sit in the front row... I got there at 8:45 last Friday and was the last person to get front row tix... I was excited... until I sat down in the seat.... Not worth it. Ask for a box..

but i did get an apple :)

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#13re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:08pm

I already got tickets, but do you think if there are better seats available for the day of, they will trade off and I can pay the difference? Im going Saturday

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

C4b2a3b
#14re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/13/08 at 7:35pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the student rush sounds fairly reliable. Is it foolish of me to forgo buying tickets in advance for a Saturday show? I figure that if I don't get a pair of tickets through rush, I can always head over to the TKTS booth or try again on Sunday? I'm going to New York next weekend to visit a friend, which is really an excuse to fulfill my long-standing desire to see Patti.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#15re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/14/08 at 12:40am

Try student rush tickets first, and then if you don't get them, try again on Sunday. You might have a good chance trying on a Saturday because people will be wanting either the matinee or the evening show. Just get to the box office early.

I've never done TKTS, so I don't know if that would be a better option. Enjoy the show!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#16re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/14/08 at 1:15am

C4b2a3b, I've seen Gypsy through rush 4x and havent had a problem getting tickets once. One time was front row, got there right when the box office opened on a Saturday (line of maybe 25 people) got the last front row seat for the matinee. The other 3 were all for various shows, matinees and evenings, weeknights and weekends (if I can remember, it was another Sat matinee, a Fri night and a Thurs night) and have gotten there as little as an hour and a half to an hour before curtain and got a fantastic seat for the performance. With the orchestra taking up most of the rear stage (and they are covered for most of the show), all of the action and sets fall in the middle to the front of the stage so the seats are minimally partial view. You'll actually miss more by sitting in the front row than in the orch side.

#17re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/14/08 at 1:22am

I rushed last Thursday and got there a few minutes before the box office opened. The stage is pretty high, but it wasn't so bad (and I'm really short at 5'3). I only missed a few moments, but it's so worth it to watch "Rose's Turn" and to see all of Laura's heartbreaking facial expressions.

C4b2a3b
#18re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:21pm

Thanks you all for your help! I'm even more pumped now.

Just to be clear, when you guys mention front row, is it row BBB on the sides and the center section of row A? I noticed that some have said they preferred orchestra side, and I wasn't sure what that meant.

Also, what luck have people had requesting for a better seat when buying rush tickets?

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#19re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:24pm

BB is the center section, row A is the side (but it's still front row). I prefer sitting in row A on the right side. It's still front row, but you're a little farther back so you can see more.

I've requested seats a few times (when I took my grandma I requested the box, because she's short and wouldn't be able to see from the front row) and the box office guy couldn't have been any nicer about it, and gave me the seat that I requested. They're really nice there.

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#20re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:02am

Thanks everyone for the info on the gypsy rush. It seems like the rush for this show is pretty reliable and good tickets are available.

Off topic, but what would be the best time to get to the Tkts booth if you wanted to get tickets from there as well. Thank you in advance.

wicked_beast4
#21re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:11am

Thank you everyone!!!! And just one last question. Tomorrow would be a good day, right? Or should I say today, haha.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:16am

If it's raining in the morning, perhaps there won't be a lot of people waiting.

wicked_beast4
#23re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:27am

Thanks. I hope I get a pair. Has anyone on here ever been denied SR tix? Or have they ever run out?

88cents Profile Photo
88cents
#24re: Gypsy rush question
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:22am

no worries - they won't run out. I got there literally 2 minutes before curtain on a sunday a few weeks ago and I got a little head fake "oh I think we're out of student rush" but he immediately gave us a pair on the right in row B. obviously the least desirable rush seats they sold that day, but still pretty great.

here on the board people have said they go to balcony seats eventually. I've never seen that happen myself, but they'd certainly never run out of those.

Videos