pixeltracker

A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08

A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#1A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:01am

*Spoilers*

We all know the saying "Third Time's the Charm." Well, for me, when it comes to A TALE OF TWO CITIES, Second Time's the Charm! After seeing the show Monday and being confused through some of the book and thinking that the show was a bit too long, I was eager to see it a second time for clarification purposes. After talking to friends who had seen it with me on Monday and others who had seen the first preview on Tuesday night, I had more of an idea of the story going into tonight's performance. Also, since I had already seen it once, I was much more attentive to the lyrics and all the recitative. Well, I have officially joined the revolution. I love A TALE OF TWO CITIES.

I do not mind at all that the show doesn't open with the famous line from the book. It is still in there, which is what counts. The prologue, very recently restaged by director Warren Carlyle, brilliantly sets up the storyline by showing the Marquis when he kills Madame Defarge's brother and sister and shows Dr. Manette being arrested when he is held in the Bastille for almost 20 years. This immediately draws the audience in and makes them want to know what happens next.

This show works, not only because Charles Dickens' source material is so brilliant, but because Jill Santoriello has taken this long novel and paired it down into a 2 hour and 50 minute musical and has included everything the audience needs to fully understand the story and to really feel for the characters, esepcially Sidney.

The book to a musical, in my opinion, is the most difficult aspect to get right, but Jill has done a wonderful job here. While I was somewhat confused the first time around, I paid full attention tonight and all my questions were completely cleared up. I fully understood that Madame Defarge's brother and sister were the ones who died all those years ago. I also fully understood that Sidney and Charles were supposed to look the same (though James and Adam do not look alike, which I think added to my confusion the first time around). Lastly, I now understand that the lower class French peasants were just so enraged at the upper class, and since there were more of them, they started the revolution against the upper class and beheaded them to make a statement. (I should have known that last statement beforehand, but I was *horrible* in history in high school and learned the material only for the exams) Jill's book makes all this completely clear...I am just a stupid guy who never paid attention in history.

The score is wonderful and I can't wait for the cast recording...I sincerely hope it is recorded and soon! Standouts for me include "You'll Never Be Alone," "Reflection," "I Can't Recall," "If Dreams Came True," "Little One," "Until Tomorrow," everyone's favorite "Out of Sight, Out of Mind," and my personal favorite "Without A Word." Songs that I didn't care for were "No Honest Way" and "Resurrection Man," which really needs to be cut (sorry, Jill). I just don't see the point of that entire scene other than to give those three men a song. Maybe that was a scene taken right from the book or something.

Warren Carlyle's direction was spot on for the most part. I felt some of the staging was a bit static, but loved the Prologue, the scene when Lucie found her father, the Act 1 finale, the James/Aaron switch in Act 2, the Act 2 finale...wonderful job, Warren.

The sets were perfection. Tony Walton outdid himself with those four movable set pieces, which were used in multiple settings. Also loved the large centerpiece with the two lion heads on top...and that willow tree set piece was stunning. The lighting was also fantastic (even with the tiny lighting mishap in Act 1 today). I especially loved the projected starts during the Act 2 finale and much of the lighting throughout was very appropriate.

Now onto the actors, beinning with the ensemble. I thought they were all very strong singers and actors...it was so nice seeing Drowsy veteran Jannifer Smith in the ensemble, who showed a lot of emotion and was really into it. Other actors who had smaller roles were Nick Wyman, Kevin Earley, Les Minski (who was very evil as the Marquis), and Katherine McGrath, who will absolutely be remembered by critics with her brilliant line deliveries as Miss Pross.

Gregg Edelman as Dr. Manette. He gives a good performance. This was only my second time seeing him on Broadway (the first was Into the Woods) and I felt he was better in that. His voice seemed a bit off both tonight and Monday, but his performance did improve as the night went on.

Natalie Toro as Madame Defarge. She is an excellent actress and singer. I was just surprised that her stage time was so limited. When she was on, she was great, and her show-stopping number in Act 1 was brilliantly delivered. I am certainly a fan and will be following her career from now on. She is on the concept album (which was done back in 2002) so I'm glad she was able to stick with the show through its Broadway incarnation!

Aaron Lazar as Charles Darnay. I first saw Aaron in The Light in the Piazza, where he was fabulous, and he has only gotten better. Besides being a bit underused, since the show focuses more on James Barbour's character, he was perfect. I love his singing voice and his acting has improved even since Monday. As my friend Michael said "he really gave the character class." Great job, Aaron.

Brandi Burkhardt as Lucie Manette. Brandi Brandi Brandi. Well, she was significantly better than Monday night, but I can just see Christianne Noll knocking this role out of the park. Brandi was fine. She's not the best actress or singer, but is far from the worst I've seen. However, she nailed my favorite number in the show "Without A Word" and I got chills during it. I have a feeling she will not be replaced, but I sincerely hope her acting improves as previews go on. She is gorgeous (I can see why Frank Wildhorn and any other straight man would be attracted to her) and such a nice person too.

James Barbour as Sydney Carton. Perfection. He has complete understanding of his character and delivers. His acting is spot on and his voice is glorious. He deserves to get rave reviews. I am so happy that he has put his past behind him and is moving forward with his career...in a wonderfully written role that he is brilliant in. Thank you, James, for making your return to Broadway, and for wowing this audience, and many audiences to come.

I did notice a few slight changes since Monday night...all for the best. When the first woman was beheaded on Monday night, a fake head fell down to the ground. That fake head has now been cut, since it was just too gruesome. Another part that was even more disturbing has also been cut. On Monday night, at the very end of the show, a little girl walks up the stairs and is beheaded. That has been cut, thank goodness. However, if I recall correctly, when the people who are going to be beheaded are walking DOWN the staircase earlier in Act 2, they introduce number 21 and her daughter...I think if the daughter is no longer going to be beheaded, maybe they shouldn't introduce the daughter earlier in that scene.

There were a few minor glitches today, which I will touch upon. Besides some minor sound issues, there was a strange lighting mistake during Act 1, in which the lights took focus away from Lucie and Dr. Manette and instead lit the audience! I was right where the light hit too! Also, during the switch in Act 2, when Nick Wyman picked up Aaron Lazar, his hat fell off and it took a while for someone to pick it up. The hat was down stage right for most of the rest of the act. I was worried when the hat fell off because it is needed in the following scene, when Lucie doesn't recognize Charles until she reads Sydney's note and then takes the hat off of Charles, and embraces him. Brandi played it off well though, and just didn't look directly at him until after she read the letter.

Overall, the show was absolutely brilliant tonight, and if the audience reaction was any indication, the majority of them would agree with me whole-heartedly. This show tugs at your heart, gives you chills, makes you laugh, is stunning to look at, has fantastic acting and singing, and is a big musical that Broadway has been missing for a while. Congrats to Jill, Warren and the entire cast and creative team. I look forward to seeing the show again this Friday and many more times in previews to see the show evolve into what will be a wonderful crowd-pleasing show that I sincerely hope the critics will embrace. I urge you all to go see this show with an open mind (twice if you have to) and I hope you all end up loving it as much as I did.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 02:01 AM

esparza 333
#2re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:18am

I am so glad you enjoyed the show without a trace. Excellent review. I have a question. I know it is early but if you had to talk about this show tony wise what categories do you think it would receive nods for.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

WithoutATrace
#2re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:24am

It is really too early to tell, but I could definitely see James Barbour getting a nod. Honestly, it all depends on what else opens this season. I would love to see Jill's score up against Elton John and Dolly Parton. This is going to be a great season for musicals!!

susanlynn
#3re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:30am

I could'nt agree more withoutatrace! I absolutely loved it! It made me laugh and cry it completely moved me.. Listening to the buzz at intermission tells me that most people would agree with us!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#4re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:55am

I saw the first preview. When I went out for a smoke at intermission I heard people talking and they were saying very positive things.

My prediction is that the show will get mixed reviews but it will get good word of mouth.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 8:51am

WAT...I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the show so much more last night. As a former English major I know that Dickens can be a little confusing for first timers. I, even, once had a professor who said schools shouldn't bother teaching Dickens because you have to have a certain amount of life experience to really "get" him.

Esparza...I wouldn't be shocked at all if Natalie Toro got a nod for her performance.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

RentBoy86
#6re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:28am

Just sucks knowing the Times will probably give it a mix-negative review. But I'm very excited to see this!

Eagleman
#7re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:03am

I don't mean to be harsh but you had to see it TWICE to get it? That's a luxury most theater goers aren't going to have and it's not really a ringing endorsement unless you noticed significant changes in the musical.

You can see the problem:

"I know it's tough the first time around but see it again you'll like it a lot more."
Restaurant critics get to do that but the tourists from Spokane aren't going to go to
The River Cafe, come away unimpressed by the place, and go back to try it a second time--not at $125 a pop.

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#8re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:03am

WAT, great review!!!!

All of these reviews are getting me really excited for this show! It sounds like the producers have been making the most out of their out of town tryout and previews. I can't wait to hear your reports on how this show evolves!

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

cdawg2
#9re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:12am

so excited to see the changes were made and it was a good experience for you. Gives me some hope of being able to see it at the start of next year.

I am too waiting for a cast recording.

Question--I ask because I'm a HUGE fan of MacKenzie Mauzy, who'se playing the Seamstress---how was she?

WithoutATrace
#10re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:26am

She was fine...doesn't have too much to do, but has a nice cameo at the end with James Barbour.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#11re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:30pm

WAT...I was really glad to see your review as well. I am glad that you had good things to say about the show...i've enjoyed reading your posts in the past. I may try to go next Wednesday to the matinee...has anyone seen it at TKTS?

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

WithoutATrace
#12re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:39pm

It was at TKTS last night. Go! I really hope you enjoy it.

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#13re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:42pm

Recession? What recession? When people on this board can afford to see the same Broadway show two, three, four, ten, thirty, 1000 times in a row.

WithoutATrace
#14re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:47pm

LOL. I'm going for my fourth time on Labor Day. The country may be in a recession, but I guess I'm not.

theatregirl2
#15re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:53pm

Happy to hear that you liked it- hopefully I can get to the city soon to see it... I actually played #21 (Marquese du Garon) in the Sarasota production and we had a boy for the part. He wasn't in the final scene either, as the director felt it would be too much for the audience. Glad to see my little part wasn't cut! :0)

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#16re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:59pm

must be nice.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#17re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:59pm

FYI- ATOTC is on TDF!!

Available Dates
Mondays: September 1st 8:00PM
Tuesdays: September 2nd 7:00PM
Thursdays: September 4th 8:00PM
Fridays: September 5th 8:00PM
Saturdays: September 6th 2:00PM

Just bought one for $40.00 including fees.

You know.. I trust you, WaT and if I dont like this? I will blame you! re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview -  8/20/08
I am glad you like it my friend! I will call you when I see this show, perhaps we can meet at the stage door!

J*

WithoutATrace
#18re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:02pm

Yes, jay, please call me and I will definitely meet you at the stage door...and then coffee afterwards?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#19re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:04pm

Yup. Will do! and lastly for everyone. I will take along break of posting starting today. I need to renovated my kitchen for few weeks!

See ya soon! GOODBYE FOR NOW! re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview -  8/20/08

J*

Updated On: 8/31/08 at 02:04 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#20re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:22pm

"in the Sarasota production and we had a boy for the part. He wasn't in the final scene either, as the director felt it would be too much for the audience."

I didn't think it was too much when that adorable little boy walked up the stairs with his "mother". It was heart-breaking, yes, but stuff like that actually happened and I appreciated them not attempting to "neaten" it up.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

heidi2
#21re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:53pm

I also was there at the second preview and definitely noticed that there wasn't a child walking up the steps! I agree that it's a continuity problem if they're going to have that child at all.

I wrote a little review of this on my own blog, and then a couple of follow-ups because I found it just really stayed with me.
http://liberalreader.blogspot.com/2008/08/tale-of-two-cities.html

Short version: Barbour was simply mesmerizing. I find myself still thinking about his performance days later. The whole cast is amazing, though Aaron Lazar, Natalie Toro, and the man who plays Defarge (sorry, name not to hand at the moment) were my standouts. A great dramatic ensemble show. I hope it has legs.

WithoutATrace
#22re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:16pm

heidi, thank you for agreeing with me about the child walking up the steps! other people I spoke to on Friday noticed that as well.

I am seeing this show for the fourth time on Monday, September 1st...and frankly, I can't wait to go back! I have been thinking about this show all weekend and listening to the concept album non-stop.

Go see A Tale of Two Cities!!

(oh, and Brandi Burkhardt is greatly improving too!)

heidi2
#23re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:19pm

Have you been rushing for tix? They told me they were only selling them starting 2 hours before the show, but I got there early and they sold them to me without any questions. And I had a rotten seat, last on the right in the first row. The box seats were empty... it's one of the few times I've sighed for a box seat.

WithoutATrace
#24re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Second Preview - 8/20/08
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:20pm

No, I've been going through tdf...

Videos