pixeltracker

EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08- Page 2

EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#25re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 9:36am

PitPro ~ I didn't end up getting anything, but I looked for a single ticket for last night yesterday around 5 and found several. I don't think a single ticket will be THAT hard to get, at least for now.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

broadwaybaby086
#26re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:06am

Man, I have to find a way to see this now. I'm glad to hear that this production is well done and will seemingly live up to the hype.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#27re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:14am

WAT...I was so glad to see your thoughts..and am even more excited now about going to see this on 10/5. I just finished reading this play, and the copy that I have has the stage notes from the original London production. In that staging, the cast remained on stage even during the scenes that they were not in...I also think that the stage rotated. In this production the actors stay on the stage during the whole show? Also, how do they make the horse humming noises?

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#28re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:42am

Any word yet from the box office on a rush or SRO policy?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#29re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:51am

sbflyfan: There was tons of security, yes, and all bags were checked. Plus, they made a very firm announcement about no recording devices allowed, etc etc. Plus, even when myself and a bunch of others were using opera glasses during the first act, ushers kept coming over to make sure it wasn't a video camera that we were using. Very tight security.

GatorNY: Yes, the copy I read had all the stage notes too. The entire cast does not remain on the stage the entire time, but Griffiths and Radcliffe are pretty much on stage the entire show, even when the scenes aren't focused on them. The stage did rotate in the scene in the end of Act 1...extremely effective and powerful...loved it. The horse noises are a sound effect from a sound board. Sounds very realistic. As distrubing as this show can be at times, with this staging, I would consider it to be high art.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#30re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:54am

Ok...just one superficial question...but i have to know...does Mr. Liff wear a shirt?

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#31re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:22am

I hope the rush policy is still on for this, for when I go.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

WithoutATrace
#32re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:26am

Haha...yes, all the horses have skin tight body suits on and their amazingly crated horse heads in addition to the platform horsehoes that they wear. The whole thing is so tastefully done. I can't stop thinking about this show.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#33re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:11pm

I hope the rush policy is still on for this, for when I go.

There isn't a rush policy.

broadwaybaby086
#34re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:42pm

I don't know why I was delusioned enough to believe there was rush for this. Completely off my rocker. I don't know when I'll be able to see it, then. Sad face.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#35re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:11pm

WAT - Wow!!! I can't believe I have to wait till Oct. 10th to see the show. Thanks for the fab review.

HeyMrMusic - Re the the XANADU line change. I met Douglas Carter Beane at a party last October and he told me he was going to change Mary's line to "Harry Potter... magic wand yet" if XANADU was still playing. I dk how he knew that long ago EQUUS would be playing there... inside info I guess. It's def funnier than the old LES MIS & GYPSY lines they used re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08

Grrrr - I could use a Fresca.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

GregHarris111 Profile Photo
GregHarris111
#36re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:12pm

Having performed the role of Alan Strang myself almost 30 years ago in regional theater, I am thrilled to be able to see the first Broadway revival while visiting NYC during Thanksgiving weekend.

Fosse76
#37re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:25pm

"I dk how he knew that long ago EQUUS would be playing there... inside info I guess."

As soon as Equus was announced for Broadway it was well known by everyone who worked for the Shubert Organization (from porters to concessions) that it would play the Broadhurst.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#38re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 8:11pm

Thanks for the great review, WAT! So, based on your review (and I do value your opinion much), having a Hurricane Hanna Harry Potter Marathon today, and reading Equus last night, my best friend and I just purchased tickets for 11/1. I cannot even begin to say how excited I am. I hope to fit Tale of Two Cities, 13, and Billy Elliot in that weekend too!

broadwayfan310
#39re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 9:19pm

Great review!! I'm seeing it in November and can't wait!!

WithoutATrace
#40re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 9:30pm

i hope i get to see this a second time...

WithoutATrace
#41re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 9:30pm

double post Updated On: 9/6/08 at 09:30 PM

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#42re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:31pm

Thanks for the wonderful review! Time to bite the bullet and buy my tickets now...

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#43re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:17am

I saw the show tonight. It was absolutely incredible. Daniel Radcliffe was Alan Strang the entire time and knocked it out of the park in my eyes. Griffiths was beyond phenomenal. I was completely blown away by the horses (all of which were beyond a million times cramazing) and also by Carolyn McCormack, who was just perfection.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

moulin724rouge Profile Photo
moulin724rouge
#44re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:43am

I remember for Three Days of Rain the only way to get an autograph was to stage door on a night that you didn't see the show...the reasoning behind this was because by the time you got out of the show, the barracades were already crowded... is this true for Equus as well? And are any of the actors taking photos with fans?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#45re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:51am

I would say yes, the only way to get Daniel's autograph is to stage door on a night you don't see the show. It was INSANITY tonight. Absolutely crazy. I didn't get close enough to get Daniel or Richard, but I was able to get Kate Mulgrew and Spencer Liff!!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#46re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:52am

Thanks for the review. I'm seeing this in a few weeks, and can't wait. A friend of mine, who's a British lit professor and is very picky when it comes to theatrical productions, saw this one in London and raved about its excellent performances and production values.

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#47re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:52am

That's absolutely true. My friend and I got pretty close to the front tonight, however (although we were still a good five or so rows back from the barrier by the time Dan came out), and we were taking our time in getting to the stagedoor because we knew our chances of success would be extremely slim. We're going to bring our playbills and just stagedoor in a week or two.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

Bwayfan4
#48re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:26am

Thanks for the review, WAT. I'm excited to see this next weekend! Did you mention where your seats were?

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#49re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:06am

SOOOOO glad to hear this went well re: EQUUS - First Preview - 9/5/08 I hope to get to see it myself as soon as possible.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS