Wicked Seating?

lotterymaster
#1Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:12pm

Ok so I searched and couldn't find the exact info I was looking for sorry if I missed something? Is the front mezz at the Gershwin good? Is it far back? Which would be better row k seats 21 and 25 in the orch or row A or B center mezz? How far back is the mess? Any help would be great!!

stupidbeans
#2re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:15pm

wicked has a lot of ensemble members and gorgeous sets and scenery. If you sit higher up, you will be able to see all of it. Go with the mez. I sat row g in the mezzanine and it was perfect, I can't even imagine how good and and b are

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#2re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:17pm

I was in front mezz for Wicked last month and it's a great view. You can see the whole set and still see the actor's facial expressions. The Gershwin is a pretty small theater anyway so you'll be able to see pretty well no matter where you're sitting.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:37pm

I agree that you can see fine from the mezz, but...

Since when is the Gershwin a "small" theatre???

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#4re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:12pm

Well, compared to most houses around the country where touring shows play (which usually seat 3000 or so) the Gershwin (at about 1800) is relatively "small."

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:13pm

Ah. But for NYC it's NOT small.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Shannon Bo Dannon
#6re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:26pm

Yeah compared to the other theaters I've been in (which isn't a lot really) it was smaller.

I really just meant you're gonna have a pretty good view no matter where you sit.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:28pm

The Gershwin is a pretty small theater anyway

Cute! :)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

stupidbeans
#8re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:30pm

it is

my local touring theatre seats 2,500

gershwin seats 1900

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

DefyGravity777
#9re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:31pm

The Gerswhin is the biggest theatre on Broadway and you cannot see facial expressions where ever you sit. The mezz is high up and you need binocs to see the actors faces.

I'd go for the orch seats. Even though you are on the side you will see the whole stage and the actors faces without binocs.

I have seen the show 22 times from all different seats and I prefer the orch.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Shannon Bo Dannon
#10re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:33pm

I could see expressions just fine, but I usually prefer orch seats but mezz was all I could get for Wicked.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:34pm

If the biggest Broadway theater is "pretty small", what are the rest?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

stupidbeans
#12re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:35pm

I seat in mezz g and it was perfect

all I have to say

DefyGravity777
#13re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/7/08 at 6:22pm

blaxx,they are tiny.

The size of a theatre has nothing to do with how many seats it has. I was in the Oriental in Chicago and it has at least 500-600 more seats but it's a smaller theatre. I would rather be comfy in the "small" Gershwin theatre than be cramped in a "bigger" theatre which has more seats.

lotterymaster
#14re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 4:43pm

Just a quick question. I am going to buy tickets for the benefit performance and I can get row P center orch. or row B center mezz. They are technically the same distance from the stage seeing as mezz row A hangs over orch. row O. Are they good seats? Are they too far? I've seen the show 5 times 3 times thanks to lotto once front orch side and once row M center but I don't remember the view. ( It was with OBC so it was a while ago)

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#15re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 6:36pm

I got tickets to Kerry's last show, originally it was front center row D, over side orch row c, after people heard they said I made the wrong choice, luckily I was able to switch to orch row c... interpret that as you wish...

Goodbye

defyinggravity42694
#16re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 6:36pm

I got tickets to Kerry's last show, originally it was front center row D, over side orch row c, after people heard they said I made the wrong choice, luckily I was able to switch to orch row c... interpret that as you wish...

Goodbye

Hrududu Profile Photo
Hrududu
#17re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 6:48am

I was at it last week, centre of the front mezz, row B. I couldnt have been happier with the seats, perfect view of everything.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#18re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:52am

"The Gershwin is a pretty small theater anyway so you'll be able to see pretty well no matter where you're sitting."

Well, relative to other theaters on Broadway, the theater is HUGE. And sometimes in theaters smaller than the Gershwin, the mezzanine isn't really that great.

And I don't know how accurate this is, but the Gershwin has a seating capacity of 1933:

http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/gershwintheater/seatingplan.html

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

DefyGravity777
#19re: Wicked Seating?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:59am

That's about right on the seating capacity. The only thing wrong with the seating chart is that there is no row AA.

anexplorer02
#20re: Wicked Seating HELP?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:36pm

I was looking at seats DD 6,8,10. Are those the box looking seats off to the side? I have seen Wicked once in the Orchestra and it was fantastic, but my children prefer to be up high so they can see better. I was thinking of getting center front Mezz but these are the ones available my first day choice -- how are they?? I can't remember the theatre enough to make a good decision.

Thank you
Updated On: 9/23/08 at 01:36 PM

DefyGravity777
#21re: Wicked Seating HELP?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 4:40pm

That's 3rd row off to the right side of the theatre. If you children like being up higher go for the mezz. There is some scenes blocked being that close.

defyinggravity42694
#22re: Wicked Seating HELP?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 4:44pm

I agree, with DefyingGravity777, I've never seen the show from the mezzanine, but I have seen it from BB(side) and you miss the scenes that take place above you (not Defying Gravity). It was an amazing and enjoyable experience being that close and I would sit there again, but if your kids enjoy higher seating, like DefyingGraity777 said, go for the mezzanine.

Goodbye
Updated On: 9/23/08 at 04:44 PM

REVA107
#23re: Wicked Seating HELP?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 4:58pm

I've seen Wicked from several different areas in the theatre and it was one of the few shows where sitting on the side made a big difference in what I was and wasn't seeing in the show. I was relatively close to the end (towards center orch) and still had partial viewing, especially for parts of the show that are set far back on the stage. I saw it from 5th row mezzanine, as well, and thought it was beautiful. There is generally so much going on at any given time during some of the more elaborate parts of the show, that you could easily miss a lot of it from orchestra. That's just my opinion, but this is a good mezzanine show :)

anexplorer02
#24re: Wicked Seating HELP?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 5:19pm

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my earlier post. The seats I am looking at are in the front Mezz, but they are DD which in the seating chart is written off to the side -- it seems the double letters are perhaps boxes off to the side of the front Mezz???? I am concerned about what would be missed happening off to the side -- is that a valid concern?

thank you

Videos