When will they revive "Rent?"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1When will they revive "Rent?"
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:11pm

...or is it too much of a period piece now, like How To Succeed or A Chorus Line?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:13pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=978308&dt=16&boardid=1

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:22pm

RENT fans don't "search," they just "are."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:23pm

re: When will they revive 'Rent?'

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:24pm

Oh... and that's a completely useless thread name that tells us NOTHING about the thread.

So, how's a fan to survive, if people don't know how to post to begin with, don't you agree?

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#5re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:42pm

That is a completely useless thread name. haha. You wouldn't find this question if you searched it, not from that title, anyway.

And how about they revive it tomorrow, and pretend they never started all this closing business? Let's call that a rumor.

And it is not too period; neither is ACL, in my opinion.

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:44pm

Okay, if you say so.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:46pm

I'm waiting for the report of the fans standing out in front of the theatre mooing and refusing to leave after the performance ends.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#8re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:47pm

Oh, I don't think it will be revived anytime soon. I think the more interesting question is who will be the "they" who revive it...

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#9re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:47pm

hmmm maybe they won't revive it they will just make a sequel called Mortgage.

"We're Not gonna p-a-a-y last years MORTGAGE"

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:53pm

Well, I'm watching the movie right now on Blu-ray. That's the best I can do in the comfort of my own home... and I'm cryin' just a bit. Okay, maybe MORE than just a bit.

I knew Jon Larson, and I have to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I'm trying to "laugh it off," but not very successfully. In fact, I suck at it.

It's like I'm saying goodbye to him right now.

Oh, I know, the show will live on in regional productions and coffee table books. That's fine, I guess...

*raises glass*

Here's to YOU, Jon. You did good.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:02pm

I'm listening to the CD instead. I was fine until "Without You". Now I'm not so fine...

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#12re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:06pm

I think it'll be at least 10-20 years.

Broadwaynerd101
#13re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:07pm

Wait, Rent's closing??

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#14re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:10pm

Yeah, I'll definitely listen to the OBC recording before I go to bed.

futurenala Profile Photo
futurenala
#15re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:10pm

Oy vey.

"Robin De Jesus has issues"~ JANET DACAL "Yeah, and that's putting it lightly"~ ANDREA BURNS "If you watched CBS on June 15th , I was nominated for a Tony... And I was in Camp"~ ROBIN DE JESUS "...but I ^&#$@*% made you believe I was Italian!"~MATTHEW MORRISON http://legallybrownonbroadway.com/

futurenala Profile Photo
futurenala
#16re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:12pm

I just finished listening to the cast recording and I just watched the movie.

"Robin De Jesus has issues"~ JANET DACAL "Yeah, and that's putting it lightly"~ ANDREA BURNS "If you watched CBS on June 15th , I was nominated for a Tony... And I was in Camp"~ ROBIN DE JESUS "...but I ^&#$@*% made you believe I was Italian!"~MATTHEW MORRISON http://legallybrownonbroadway.com/

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:15pm

Jon's getting a kick out of this, somewhere. I just know.

Broadwaynerd101
#18re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:21pm

Watching the documentry now.

Reading the big RENT book later.

Reading Without You Monday.

There's my tribute.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#19re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:24pm

Best12bars,

Thank you for your wonderful post. I had no such personal connection to Rent, but I love it all the same. It has brought many hours of happiness to my life, and I believe it will always be my favorite musical. I've avoided most of the threads on this board due to the fact that many posts have been unkind, but I'm glad I opened this one.

I believe that a revival might happen sooner than many expect, but even so it won't be the same production that graces the Nederlander tonight.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

george95
#20re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:54pm

I have been trying just to forget about RENT closing lately, and then a friend calls me today around 6:30 to say that he happened to walk past the Nederlander and he said how he saw some famous people and a huge crowd and he said "Dont you like Rent? I thought you might be interested". And I thought oh man so much for trying to forget about it. I just got him off the phone asap. After he realized that he depressed me, he texted back and made arrangements to see Phantom later this month : ) haha.

So its ok that Rent is closing; its a link to my late adolesence that can finally be closed. Its also fitting that my mom today sent me a link to the website that's selling luxury lakefront homes on the site of former childhood summer camp--the camp that I went to every summer from kindergarten up until freshman year of college---the same year that RENt opened. Wowwwwwwww.

And, there will be the tour--which I'm assuming will use the same lighting/set/orchestrations as the original b-way?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:59pm

Jon would be thrilled that he touched so many people. Even if you didn't know him, you "knew" his voice, his art.

In many ways that WAS him.

I may have known the guy in life, but you "knew" him too.

Trust me.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:07pm

I have no problem with new sets or directions if/when they revive it. But, the one thing that will bother me to no end is if they do what they did in London which was totally re do the music and orchestrations. Because, for me when you get right down to it Rent is about the music and the story that the music tells.

I remember watching that three way call video on Broadway.com with Adam,Anthony and DRV. They were talking about how one person really got into Rent via the music because they never saw the show. And, they were talking about how they thought that was more touching then someone who had seen the show many times because when you got down to it Rent was about the music. That is why I don't want them to change the orchestrations like they did for the London revival.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

stupidbeans
#23re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:09pm

the set wouldn't change that much when there is a revival IMO

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

broadwayboy101
#24re: When will they revive 'Rent?'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:09pm

Lol I'd forgotten all about the ill-fated London revival...probably repressed that memory for a reason.