LimelightMike
#2re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 12:56am

Tonight.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 1:06am

Playbill didn't bother to put up a story until just now.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#4re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 2:20am

so excited.

wish i was there.

and if you're in the same boat as me, and can't afford the first show of PAL JOEY, come on downtown to the village and to the Barrow Street Theatre to see IN CONFLICT in it's last week of performances! we got an amazing review from Brantley!

(yeah, I just totally plugged my show, get used to it : ) )

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 12:20pm

I'm so jealous of everyone going to this. I'll hopefully be seeing it next weekend. Enjoy everyone!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#6re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 1:37pm

Will be curious to hear. Rumor has it, Ms. Channing is a bit worried about her tentative singing. It's been years since she's trod the boards with a band int he pit. Having seen her in PLAYING OUR SONG and THE RINK, I recall how average-y she is; in the former it made no difference, but after Liza, she was strange. In RINK it didn't help that she was too close to Chita's age to be her kid. Anyway, this seems to be her role, and I wish her well. (Remember when Eleanor Parker was in, then quit, to be replace by Joan Copeland? PAL JOEY is one of those troubled shows.)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#7re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 1:37pm

Will be curious to hear. Rumor has it, Ms. Channing is a bit worried about her tentative singing. It's been years since she's trod the boards with a band int he pit. Having seen her in PLAYING OUR SONG and THE RINK, I recall how average-y she is; in the former it made no difference, but after Liza, she was strange. In RINK it didn't help that she was too close to Chita's age to be her kid. Anyway, this seems to be her role, and I wish her well. (Remember when Eleanor Parker was in, then quit, to be replace by Joan Copeland? PAL JOEY is one of those troubled shows.)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:22pm

Bump to see what everyone thought!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#9re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:29pm

Just back, got my tickets on a complete fluke (thanks Esparzafan!)

I did not know the material at all other than preliminary research I did when I heard about the cast.

I enjoyed the set, sticking with the stark high-gloss black of Studio 54 helped make pop the set pieces of color. I especially loved Vera's layer.

Performance-wise:

Christian Hoff: Re-cast, re-cast, RE-CAST. His singing was terrible. I thought in the first scene where he is auditioning that he was putting on a "bad voice" to come off badly (a la Roxie in Nowadays (reprise) in the film) but he sang that way the entire show. His dancing was smooth but didn't come off nearly well enough to make up for his terrible singing performance. He was rather one-note in his acting and did not in any way make me like Joey. I could see why having a crooner like Sinatra in the role would make Linda English go for him in the end after all he did, but Hoff's Joey was a snake and really didn't come off likable from the start. Tony Yazbeck would be perfection for his suave dance moves as well as beautiful voice.

Stockard Channing's Vera Simpson was spot-on with her acting. Her "Love Is My Friend" was shaky at best as well as at point off-key, but her acting throughout the show made up for her lack of singing confidence. "Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered" came off well with a bit of talk-singing that only aided in her acting the song out. One of the few times I liked Hoff's voice was when he was in the duet "In Our Little Den" with Stockard and their voices blended nicely. As I said, her acting alone carried the production and line delivery of a fairly antiquated musical kept it fresh and sharp.

Marth Plimpton's Gladys stole the show. Her raspy but (to my surprise not having heard her sing) strong voice was perfection both in song and in scene. She had amazing rough edges as well as fragility that some of the other characters (namely Hoff) didn't show therefore making her completely likable. I can't say enough about how wonderful she was and how I wish she were paired with a stronger cast (again, namely a stronger Joey) to play off of.

Jenny Fellner as Linda had a strong singing voice to carry off the role and played her naivety well, but seemed so stern with Joey and didn't let her guard down in their scenes together until 2 minutes too late. Their chemistry was non-existent and in this case I would say it was the fault of Fellner's overly tough Linda than Hoff. I would much prefer Lisa Brescia or Michelle Federer in the role.

I feel like this type of show is really dependent on a strong protagonist's performance in order to come off well, and unfortunately in this case Hoff's Joey sets the pace of the show terribly and therefore leaves Channing and Plimpton to pick up the pieces the best they could. If only it could have been Pal Gladys...

(EDIT: Jesus wiCkEd... I live 14 blocks from the theater and started writing within minutes of being in the door. Impatient much?)

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 11/14/08 at 11:29 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#10re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:44pm

Ugh...it's sad that Hoff isn't up to par. I was hoping he would give a breakout performance in this...hopefully he'll improve.

And what show does Martha Plimpton NOT steal? She's amazing.

And logan, I posted three and a half hours after the show began. And all I did was bump the thread so that when people got home they would see it on the first page again. I'm not impatient I was just bumping the thread. Relax.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#11re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:55pm

thx for your review. I know very very little about this musical as well. I am going on Sunday the 16th to see it. Are there any merchandise for it yet? did the actors stage door after the show?

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

broadwaybaby086
#12re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:57pm

I was there as well (thanks, Testing1232!) and I agree with everything logan0215 said. I did not care at all for Christian Hoff in this role; I didn't see him in Jersey Boys (haven't seen it at all, actually...gasp!) so I had nothing to which I could compare him. Very disappointing. I found myself wishing him offstage. And sure, the character isn't likable, but neither was his voice tonight.

Stockard Channing; honestly, I was just glad to see her onstage. I don't have much to say about her otherwise. The singing...I was disappointed with "Bewitched..." And it sounded a few times like she muddled the words when singing in unison, but I don't know the score so I'm not sure.

I enjoyed what I saw of the opening dance sequence (overture?); the entire row in front of me was walking and chatting. Very distracting.

The first act felt painfully slow, until maybe the last five or ten minutes. Was that just me?

The Act II opener...hilarious. I cannot say enough good things about Martha Plimpton. She was the reason I wanted to see this, and she did not disappoint. She was a bit weaker on the upper notes (as were most), but her voice is great! I'd never heard her sing before, and quite liked her voice. I'd love to have gone to Stars in the Margin this summer and heard her sing folk-rock. Best timing on that stage tonight.

Many kudos to Paul Gemignani and the orchestra! I didn't notice any phasing between right and left box, which is something I often notice at Studio 54.

They have a while to tighten things up, which I hope they do. The pacing is very erratic, but hey, it was a first preview. Either something wasn't clicking onstage or the audience was just sedated...
I hope to head back later in the run to check it out via either student rush or HipTix. :o)

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

broadwaybaby086
#13re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/14/08 at 11:59pm

bundy, there is merch though I didn't get a good look at it. It's the same people who do ITH and SP, among others.

I saw a crowd after the show and black cars waiting, so I'm assuming the actors signed, but I'm not sure.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#14re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:01am

What about the costumes?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#15re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:10am

First of all...you are VERY welcome, Broadwaybaby--- (and everyone else that joined us) Great seeing you all !!!

<< Christian Hoff: Re-cast, re-cast, RE-CAST. His singing was terrible. I thought in the first scene where he is auditioning that he was putting on a "bad voice" to come off badly (a la Roxie in Nowadays (reprise) in the film) but he sang that way the entire show.

Ok... TOTALLY agree with this !!! He was beyond bad (and I really hate sounding cruel)- His voice was painful, and honestly... he ruined the entire show for me !!! I kept thinking of different actors for the role (I think I stopped when I reached 50 !!!)

We couldnt tell either if that is the way he really sounds, or if he was doing a bad crooner imitation !! His acting was beyond bland, his comic timing was horrible !! Honestly, I felt nothing for his character.

Channing was good (although she flubbed a few lines)

If you are going to see this production (and I hope if you do, they turn the air on in the theatre.... it was beyond warm !!!), Plimpton is the reason to go. She is brilliant with what little she has to work with.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#16re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:13am

I pretty much echo what others have said. I really didn't know anything about the show, so I can't compare it to anything. I did find the first act a bit slow ~ and the transition into the last scene...I felt like I missed something. Probably just me.

In terms of costumes, was I the only one who thought of the Garden of Eden part of Gypsy with those, especially in the flower song? They were pretty, but it just really felt like the same basic costume there. The other costumes looked good from the rear mezz.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Testing1232
#17re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:17am

<< and the transition into the last scene...I felt like I missed something. Probably just me.

>>

Nope.... wasnt just you, Jordan (great seeing you as always !!!)-- was that ending abrupt, or what???!!! WOW !!!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#18re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:20am

Plimpton was definitely the best of the three (though her singing wasn't the greatest). "Zip" was her best number and she sold it well.

Hoff, as others have said, was not very good at all and should be replaced. He was SO AWESOME in Jersey Boys, and it was painful to see him in this show.

Channing butchered (and I really mean butchered) "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered." It was dreadful and so difficult to listen to.

I didn't like the show at all...go see this at your own risk.
Updated On: 11/15/08 at 12:20 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#19re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:26am

Great to see you too testing (and you wat!)! I would have come to chat at intermission but I was kind of trapped in my row. LOL.

Hee. I just realized that my phrase, while actually referring to the act 1 closer could be applied to the act 2 closer as well. Definietly wham bam thank you ma'am endings both.

eta ~ Wow. Over on ATC, someone's claiming his oh-so-picky friend LOVED it. I know there are different tastes, but... Wow.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 11/15/08 at 12:26 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#20re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:29am

I saw that ATC review too (and was SHOCKED to read the positive notices).

Great seeing you jordangirl and testing (and thanks!)

Testing1232
#21re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:36am

Great seeing you as well, Wat !!! I totally respect all opinions, but honestly... dont know how anyone could have REALLY liked the show. There are just way too many flaws. Yes, it will be tighter, I am sure. But Hoff is just bad. No getting around it.

Gary Indiana
#22re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:40am

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. Christian Hoff was horrible in the role. Like Logan, I thought he was supposed to be singing poorly in the first number and I was very disappointed when he didn't improve. I'm a huge fan of Stockard Channing, so I was really excited to see her tonight, but she wasn't very impressive. Martha Plimpton did a really great job, but she wasn't enough to save the show. Although she was my favorite part of the show the friend that I was with thought she seemed stiff and didn't like her voice.

Overall, I thought the show was slow moving and poorly cast. I also agree with those who said that the ending was abrupt. By the time it ended I had completely zoned out and didn't understand what happened. I'm not sure if that was because it was confusing or because I wasn't really paying attention though.

As I was leaving the theater I was shocked to overhear the guy behind me telling someone on the phone that it was the most amazing show he had ever seen and that he had to see it again.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#23re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:43am

Gary Indiana ~ That must be the person whose friend posted on ATC. The poster said his friend was on the phone with him after and at that stage door and the Shrek stage door (a whole new meaning to stage door rudeness "Hang on...let me put my friend on hold here..." UGH!). What's shocking is that this person is supposedly VERY picky about what they like. Crazy.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

barcelona20
#24re: PAL JOEY -- First Preview Thoughts
Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:48am

Show was extremely slow. Hoff does not pull of the role at all.

I disagree about Channing, I thought she was excellent and commands great stage presence. Sure, her voice isn't the best, but her acting makes up for it, and everyone knows that going in.

Costumes were great.

Ending was fine. Not the typical Bway ending, but I liked that.

I wonder if the new book made the show better or worse.