pixeltracker

I miss "A Christmas Carol" at MSG...

I miss "A Christmas Carol" at MSG...

PeteGonBway Profile Photo
PeteGonBway
#1I miss "A Christmas Carol" at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 9:35am

As the holiday season approaches, I miss my yearly trip to Madison Square Garden to see "A Christmas Carol". The TV movie they made of it was god awful... I wish they had just taped a live performance instead.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#2re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 9:49am

Judging by the rotten reviews that 'White Christmas' has just got your not alone!
I personally thought 'A Christmas Carol' was a dreadful bore.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#2re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 9:53am

I miss it too.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

gypsy4
#3re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:19am

I just watched the Tv version and that is now one of my favorite musicals.
"there's a place called Home"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:22am

I also miss it. It was certainly better than the dreadful, second-rate Cirque de Soleil show in there (I love Cirque de Soleil, but this is a bad production). I would say maybe they'll bring it back, but I think Cirque de Soleil has leased that theater for the Christmas season for something like 5 years.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#5re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:41am

When I was little, I used to look foward to going to MSG every holiday to see "A Christmas Carol". And I would always watch the other kids on stage and think how cool it was to be able to do that. And then when they ended it, I was so sad. I got to see White Christmas 2 days ago and was incredibly bored. Everyone around me seemed to love it but, I could not wait to leave. Maybe it was me but, I wouldn't mind having A Christmas Carol back.

PiraguaGuy2
#6re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:46am

I love that show. I was in a local production of it once - it's wonderful.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Harper3 Profile Photo
Harper3
#7re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:56am

As a kid growing up in NY this was one of my first theatrical experiences. My family and I used to see it every single year and loved it. This show hooked me on theater and was the first cast recording I was every obsessed with.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#8re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 12:41pm

I only saw A Christmas Carol at MSG once, but I loved loved loved it. I was singing "God Bless Us Everyone" for months after I saw it!

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Winston3
#9re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 1:44pm

adamgreer, If I remember correctly, Wintuk is going to be at The Theatre At Madison Square Garden until 2010. There is a chance that they might extend but that is up in the air. I remember reading that when they announced that the show was going to open last year and be a residential production.

Goodbye Sister Disco

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 3:03pm

I miss it too. I thought the film version was just okay. It could have been better, but they really had no chance of matching the magic of seeing it live with the elaborate sets, special effects and indoor snowfall. And there was always a new Scrooge which was exciting to find out who it would be each year.

#11re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 8:22pm

How many eyars did it run? I like the cast alum though I admit it doesn't grab me as much as most Menken does (even lesser shows like Weird Romance) and I get that a large point of seein git live was the huge spectacle--the CD lists over 50 performers.

The cast album is out of print now with only the soundtrack in I see. I thought the tv movie was... Ok. the dancing and staging seemed overly fussy to me but.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#12re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:54pm

I really love this musical. I wish they would bring it back, too. I did like the TV movie, though. I just wish they would release it on DVD. :O(

off topic: Holy crap, this post made me a broadway legend. geez, I never thought I would post that much! Updated On: 11/27/08 at 10:54 PM

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#13re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/27/08 at 11:09pm

It ran for 10 years. I miss it, too. Never missed a year.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

#14re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/28/08 at 12:14am

It is on DVD--from Hallmark I believe. I got it from Amazon Marketplace for 5 bucks last year or so.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15re: I miss 'A Christmas Carol' at MSG...
Posted: 11/28/08 at 12:18am

I miss it too!

I would go every year. It's much better than the Radio City Christmas Show I think (which is good once every like five years). A Christmas Carol always put me in a great, festive, happy mood. And never bored me.

It wasn't perfect by any standards but it was well-produced. I liked it a lot.

Videos