Best "Feel Good" Musicals

follies85
#1Best "Feel Good" Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:07am

Two that spring to mind are the OBCR of Mame and Sunday in the Park with George. Mame is so vital and thrilling from beginning to end and i often play it when i am feeling gloomy. Sunday in the Park with George, in general, is so redeeming in many different ways. What are your feel-good musicals?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:26am

Wow, I would definitely not pick Sunday as a feel-good musical! Sure, the music is gorgeous, but it's so upsetting. You get closure in the end and it's beautiful and all of that, but goodness there's so much meddling and fighting and lack of connection... It's the opposite of feel-good to me.

~Steven

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:32am

Probably going to get some flack for this first one.

- The Wedding Singer

- Xanadu

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:37am

Bye Bye Birdie

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#4re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:39am

I happen to love listening to The Wedding Singer. Fun recording. I also really enjoy The Full Monty.

~Steven

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:41am

Hello, Dolly! Put On Your Sunday Clothes makes me so damn happy.

Hairspray

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#6re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:46am

I bet it would be Wall-E's pick too, Kad! re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals

~Steven

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#7re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:51am

Well, from the ones I've seen, I'd say that HAIRSPRAY, XANADU and MAMMA MIA, definitely made me feel good and happy !!!

follies85
#8re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:10am

Responding to HeyMrMusic, i feel that way about SiTPWG because of the disconnection and pain in the first and beginning of the second acts proceeded by the ultimate healing of the entire "Move On" scene. it just resonates with me on so many different levels. "Beautiful" also makes one appreciate and realize the beauty of the things and people around as well as inside oneself. i guess it is more of a provocative feel-good musical for me, though i can see where you are coming from. it definitely runs the gamut of emotions!

Jack King
#9re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:16am

SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING. Love it. Makes me feel good.

And BLYTHE SPIRIT.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#10re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:33am

Fair enough, follies85. Any musical could potentially be a feel-good musical. I mean, if I were in a lousy mood and listened to the OBCR of Sweeney I'd probably feel better, especially if the volume were turned all the way up! :)

~Steven

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#11re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:56am

Hairspray. I love that it's a silly, feelgood musical that happens to have an important message.

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#12re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 4:41am

The Wedding Singer, Xanadu, Hairspray, and Jersey Boys are my "go-to" OBCR's---if I'm feeling down they almost always cheer me up, and if I'm in a good mood they're fun for rocking out!

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#13re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 8:26am

mmmm yes indeed Hairspray <3

kate2
#14re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 8:26am

Xanadu!

(PS- jessica, I LOVE your avatar!!)

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#15re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 9:06am

mamma mia
hairspray
Wedding singer

and
your a Good man charlie brown

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

PiraguaGuy2
#16re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 9:07am

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Seussical
The Wedding Singer

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#17re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 9:15am

Definitely Hairspray, and I would add The Drowsy Chaperone.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

bwaybri2
#18re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:16am

Great American Trailer Park Musical - whether I felt good because of the musical or I felt good because I laughed my ass off - I'm not sure - but I still felt good -

Legally Blonde -

Xanadu -

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:24am

HELLO, DOLLY!
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
LEADER OF THE PACK

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

degrassifan
#20re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:36am

The Sound of Music, Hairspray, and Mamma Mia!

ashley0139
#21re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 11:20am

Oh sure, Sunday in the Park is a feel good musical in a slit-your-wrist kind of way. But to each their own. re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals Absolutely brilliant, but definitely not one of my feel goods.

Curtains, on the other hand, never fails to make me smile no matter what kind of mood I'm in. Definitely a feel good musical.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#22re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 11:20am

I hadn't thought of Sunday as a feel-good musical, but then I let the last songs in Act 2 run through my head and they left me feeling uplifted and happy, so I guess it's one for me too.

Spamalot's Always Look on the Bright Side of Life curtain call has the same effect on me.

And She Loves Me always makes me happy, but especially at this time of year.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 12:35pm

"I bet it would be Wall-E's pick too, Kad! "

To be completely honest, it wasn't until I saw Wall-E that I came to appreciate the show a lot more.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SporkGoddess
#24re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals
Posted: 12/20/08 at 12:56pm

Haha, I always listen to "A Little Priest" when I'm in a bad mood. I wonder if that says something about me. re: Best 'Feel Good' Musicals

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!