pixeltracker

How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?

How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#1How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/25/09 at 10:07pm

I'm a New York virgin, and I'm coming up Wensday to audition for Julliard and NCSA! I am staying at the Marriott hotel. How far is that from the Imperial? We have tickets for Wensday night! I could not be more excited!

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#2re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/25/09 at 10:10pm

which Marriott? What's the location of your hotel. NY has lots of Marriotts.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/25/09 at 10:12pm

I am assuming that the OP is talking about the Marquis.

If you exit the hotel and go towards 45th it's right there. I mean, if your standing in front of The Imperial (home to Billy Elliot) on your right would the the Music Box (home to August:Osage County). Right next to the Music Box is the Marriott. You can't miss it. It is pretty much right next door to The Imperial.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Updated On: 1/25/09 at 10:12 PM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#3re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/25/09 at 10:15pm

Good luck on your audition, like others have said, if it's the Marquis make a right out of it, Billy Elliot is right around the corner.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

TBD2
#4re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:46am

Just to be totally anal about the directions...

If you face SOUTH from the Marquis, you should be looking towards Junior's (white and orange striped awnings -- a great restaurant for cheesecake, btw) and an alleyway that includes the Shubert theatre.

Turn right and head West on 45th St. It's the second theatre on the right, but the line does back up almost to the covered walkway between the Music Box theatre and the Marquis. Just ask and people will tell you which theatre the line's for.

When you exit the theater, they'll have you on 46th, so it's also a right turn to get back to the hotel (and takes you right past the stage door if you are inclined to stay and chat with the actors).

Also, I have found (contrary to what I expected) that MOST New Yorkers are VERY helpful if you need to ask for directions while you're there.
Updated On: 1/26/09 at 10:46 AM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#5re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 2:39pm

Its far, I wouldn't like to walk it!

Dollypop
#6re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 3:17pm

Best of luck on your Juilliard audition. Just pray that they don't ask you to spell the word "Wednesday".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 1/28/09 at 03:17 PM

Jon
#7re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 3:54pm

I love when tourists are on 45th Street, and ask how many blocks it is to 46th Street.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 4:02pm

39 steps.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#9re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 4:03pm

I've been asked by tourists how to get to Times Square when we are standing in the middle of Times Square.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 4:09pm

I've been asked by tourists how to get to Times Square when we are standing in the middle of Times Square.

Oh yeah. My other favorite moment was standing ON THE CORNER of 48th and 8th waiting for cars to clear so I could cross, I was asked how to get to 48th Street. I just looked between the questioner and the sign a few times.

I love when tourists are on 45th Street, and ask how many blocks it is to 46th Street.

Hee. Yeah. I was in front of a group of girls one time who had just gone the block between the two and were literally screaming and jumping up and down because "We're at 46th Street! We were just at 45th!"

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:20pm

The office that I was interning in this summer was at 34th &8th. Every time I would go out for a smoke or to run an errand I was able to see The Garden from the door of the building. I couldn't tell you the number of times a summer tourist would ask me where Madison Square Garden is. What shocked me the most, was that you could see it from the corner. It's not hard to miss.

I still think my all time favorite was when I was a couple of avenues down from Radio City. All one would have to do to get there is just walk in a straight line and you were there. Well, there were a few times where someone would ask me where Radio City was. I would point behind them and they would see that it was there. There were these two girls who asked me (after I told them) if all they had to do was walk straight to get there. I said yes. And, they kept asking me five time if all you had to do was walk straight to get to Radio City. I wanted to kill them.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Updated On: 1/26/09 at 05:20 PM

xerotheory7803
#12re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:33pm

44th and 8th? either thats a typo or im confused, because MSG is 11 blocks away, not exactly easy to spot while standing on 44th and 8th.

TBD2
#13re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:22pm

Winston, I think I see the cause of the MSG confusion. The tourist were probably from the Left Coast, and having lived there, I know that they associate the word "Gardens" with flowers and trees and grass and large, undeveloped areas, not round concrete and steel buildings nestled amongst other buildings.

For New York natives that are confused by some of the words I associated with "Gardens", you just have to take my word for it that those things do exist in some areas, as do other fabled objects like BENCHES. Do you people ever sit down? Surely there's a bench somewhere in the Port Authority? Sorry -- love the city but it takes two days for my aches to subside from all the standing. I find it amazing that every horizontal ledge at a good height for resting is covered with concertina-wire-like poky devices, even window sills. I guess it keeps us riff-raff from getting too comfortable. Thank God for the round railing along the walkway by the Marquis, now if they could just heat that thing...

Sorry, got off topic a bit. It happens.
Updated On: 1/26/09 at 10:22 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#14re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 12:31am

TDB2, I see where your coming from. While a couple of people who I did give directions to did tell me that they were from places on the left cost, they always called it by its full name of Madison Square Garden. I find that it is more the locals who call it The Garden or MSG then any other group of people. Because, if you say "The Garden" or "MSG" to someone who is from new york and lives there, or just someone who lives there, then they will know what it is your talking about.

Jon
#15re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 11:23am

Of course, the current MSG, for which they demolished the old Pennsylvania Station, is the third or fourth location. Previously, "the Garden" was on 8th Avenue in the 50's. The original Madison Square Garden was, naturally, in Madison Square (where Broadway crosses Fifth Avenue - near the Flatiron Building).

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 12:01pm

Winston, you shouldn't smoke.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#17re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:40pm

'I've been asked by tourists how to get to Times Square when we are standing in the middle of Times Square'.

I have been asked "where am I" and politely explained, that is Nelsons Column, that is the National Gallery, you can see Big Ben down there, to no reaction, surprised by the passive reaction, I was dumb enough to say "have you never been to Trafalgar Square before"? Then complete hysteria ensued, (I could of said you have won the lottery) the lady replied "OMG is this really Trafalgar Square, I can't believe it, its so big and beautiful" then when the lady came round this took a good minute, to be asked, "why did they put a man on a column in the middle of Trafalgar Square"!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#18re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 6:01pm

This is back from my days of being in high school and hanging in Union Square a fair amount of the time. I was walking outside of the Virgin Megastore, and there were these two college age girls who were clearly lost. So, I thought that I would be nice and offer to help them out. When I did, they couldn't have been happier to take me up on my offer. They were on one block pacing up and down trying to find Virgin and they thought that it got torn down or something because they were looking out into the square and couldn't find it. I pointed to my left where the door was and they said thanks and walked away blushing. Turns out that the block that they were walking up and down on was the same strip that Virgin was on, and that they managed to look in every direction other then behind them.

Hank
#19re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/27/09 at 7:21pm

About 45 seconds from Bway.
Hey, as long as you're there, go for the blintzs at the Edison Cafe on 47th (short cut on the 46th St ent).

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#20re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/28/09 at 12:38am

Just pray that they don't ask you to spell the word "Wednesday".

Or "Juilliard," for that matter.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#21re: How far is Billy Elliot from the Marriott hotel?
Posted: 1/28/09 at 8:02am

Working in the Broadway/New York store right under the Marquis, I give directions all the time, and my favorites are the people who ask where the Lion King is playing. Since it's right across the street, it's always my easiest directions.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!