pixeltracker

Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought- Page 2

Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought

Dollypop
#25re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 9:42pm

COCO. Somewhere in the score lies some decent music, but you have to listen to Katherine Hepburn's "singing" to get to it. Besides, the recording quality is pathetic.

CATH MY SOUL. did the world really need a musical version of OTHELLO?

WUTHERING HEIGHTS: THE MUSICAL. This was a British import. Toss the thing into the moors of Northern England and let it rot there!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#26re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 9:43pm

Young Frankenstein. I still haven't listened to the whole thing.

eatlasagna
#27re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:15pm

i bought this recording of Grease with John Barrowman... that thing was just horrible for me to listen to... i got rid of it a few months ago

i also don't regret buying the Secret Garden... but i am disappointed that with all the praise it got i feel bored with it... i just don't get it save for a few songs (mostly the dickon songs)... it just seems like endless talking and recitation with no actual songs... oh well... to each their own

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#28re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:16pm

OH! I also forgot Titanic... even though it was like three bucks or so.. its such a bore

wexy
#29re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:23pm

Nine- I liked it when I saw it but when a song pops up on my iPod, I have to jump to the Sex Pistols.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

thevolleyballer
#30re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:31pm

March of the Falsettos
The Full Monty
Gypsy (08 Revival)
Lippa's Wild Party
Annie 30th Anniversary (HUGELY disappointing and a waste of money)

Some of these I had lost and decided to purchase a second time, remembering how much I loved them... and upon second listen, realized the lack of necessity in my second purchase.
Updated On: 1/26/09 at 10:31 PM

#31re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:50pm

See What I Wanna See - I basically listen to Coffee and the title song.
Assassins - OBC, I should've just gotten the revival.
Chess - I've listened to I Know Him So Well...and that's it.
Kiss of the Spider Woman - I haven't listened to anything. I always skip when it comes up on my shuffle...just haven't gotten into it.
Side Show - LORD. biggest waste of money EVER. it's so lame...sorry. so much ridiculous recitative and only two songs that are really worth it.

SweeneyPhanatic
#32re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/26/09 at 11:18pm

I usually love "Forbidden Broadway" albums, so when I found "Goes to Rehab" on iTunes, I jumped all over it. I think I laughed about three times during the whole album. For what is probably the last FB album, they did NOT go out with a bang. Not only does the cover SUCK (smoking Annie and the monster from "Young Frankenstein"...whoo...), some of the numbers were REALLY outdated, and there was no finale to the album! Where's the good old "ta-ta folks!" bit? It's nice to have it in the collection, but I was really disappointed.

-- SDG

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#33re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 2:37am

The Hairspray Movie Soundtrack... only because when the "deluxe version" came onto iTunes all of the added tracks were album only (long story short I have 2 versions of the same cd on my ipod)

Cabaret Revival (just not my cup of tea, although I enjoy certain songs)
Cats

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#34re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:35am

Bklyn The Musical - Live! Over an hour of wailing and over-emoting, some of the most purple lyrics ever written for the stage and a tedious, cliched story with cloying 'find yourself' message - what's not to hate?

CMU_bway_lover
#35re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:42am

The Drowsy Chaperone, my own fault, I detested the musical so owning the cast recording seems foolish.

bwaybabe2
#36re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:48am

As with any Cd, there's always going to be the songs you really bought it for, and the ones you could have spared. However, for me, I don't buy any cast recordings unless I really care for them. Some are expensive enough, and sometimes I would much rather buy some other merchandise to remember the show by.
However, they do make nice gifts for someone you know loves that show re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought

I*heart*Manhattan Profile Photo
I*heart*Manhattan
#37re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 4:16am

Legally Blonde. I hate to admit i even picked it off the shelf to look.

heo1128
#38re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 4:33am

The Joseph...Dreamcoat with Donnie Osmond. I had to buy it since I was playing for it. When it comes up on my Itunes, I wince.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#39re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:49am

1945's BILLION DOLLAR BABY with music by Morton Gould and lyrics by Comden and Green. I bought the CD because of one number("Charleston") that I had seen performed in the terrific JEROME ROBBINS BROADWAY. The rest of the show is BOOOOORING!!!
I listened to it once and once was enough. Morton Gould was a classical music composer who had no business being on Broadway. He had none of the crossover skills of his contemporary Leonard Bernstein.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

dg22894
#40re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 7:05am

I do not like my Grey Gardens I liked the show as a whole but not just the music

dg22894
#41re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 7:05am

I do not like my Grey Gardens I liked the show as a whole but not just the music

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#42re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 8:08am

Strangely, I'm going to say Hairspray. It's good music and all, but I perfer the movie soundtrack better. I know there was a thread on this too, and I know I'm not alone on liking it better. What is good about the OBC album though that the movie does not have is Kerry Butler and Laura Bell Bundy. But, actually, I will admit to liking Nikki Blonsky's voice better than Marissa Janet Winokur's.

And I did not buy these, but I took them out of the library. I couldn't even get through listening to the OBC of Phantom. That's one show you need to see with the music to appreciate it. At least I found it that way. And I also did put Spring Awakening on my iPod, but I have not listened to it in a very long time.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

luke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
#43re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 8:30am

The Little Mermaid.
I find myself listening to nothing but Ursula's songs and Part of Your World. The rest is unbearable to me.

And Zanna Don't. Loved the show when I saw it in Edinburgh, but the music does nothing for me. I think I've listened to the first 2 songs, gotten half-way through the third and just switched it off. Bad orchestra. Mediocre music. Ok cast.

THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II

JBSinger
#44re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 8:37am

Brooklyn
All shook Up
Footloose
Pacific Overtures (revival) - even though I LOVE that score.
Company (1990's revival) - too clean and boring, even with a great cast.
Sound of Music (revival)
Tarzan (though the singing is great, the new score - bleh)

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#45re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:03am

Side Show - LORD. biggest waste of money EVER. it's so lame...sorry. so much ridiculous recitative and only two songs that are really worth it.
I feel like there are a bunch of songs I really like on "Side Show" and a bunch that I really DON'T like. I'm still glad I bought the whole album, but it IS ridiculous, and the lyrics make my brain hurt. They're possibly the worst lyrics I've ever heard. But it was inexpensive, the singers are PHENOMENAL, and I really love a lot of the tunes.

Strangely, I'm going to say Hairspray. It's good music and all, but I perfer the movie soundtrack better. I know there was a thread on this too, and I know I'm not alone on liking it better. What is good about the OBC album though that the movie does not have is Kerry Butler and Laura Bell Bundy. But, actually, I will admit to liking Nikki Blonsky's voice better than Marissa Janet Winokur's.

I agree with you entirely, except that I didn't spend my own money on the Hairspray OBC. Also, I just HATE listening to Harvey Fierstein recorded. Does that make sense? Like, even in Mulan, I thought his voice-over was great in the movie, but listening to the Mulan soundtrack, it was literally painful to listen to. I don't know.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Bwayidiot
#46re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:03am

Wicked
Light in the Piazza
Titanic
Hairspray
All Sondheim Updated On: 1/28/09 at 09:03 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#47re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:14am

My Life With Albertine

I could never get through the whole CD. I finally got rid of it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#48re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:26am

Jersey Boys.

I really liked the show, but I just haven't listened to the recording at all.

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#49re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:49am

Thou Shalt Not
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
Little Fish
Adding Machine
Jersey Boys
42nd Street revival
Spring Awakening