pixeltracker

The Sutton Foster "Wish" Love Thread- Page 2

The Sutton Foster "Wish" Love Thread

zerose
#25re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 12:07pm

re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread

Sutton's concert got a rave review in the New York Times!
NYTimes review

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#26re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 12:16pm

I also attended the show. I have to say first that the venue was completely amazing, both for the view, sightlines, and acoustics. Though not a fan of most of her song selections on her debut CD, I appreciated them much more when sung live. The set list had a nice variety and she completely charmed the audience I think. I was particularly thrilled with selections from the shows she has done, as well as I'm Beginning to See the Light.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#27re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 12:18pm

I was there! It was AMAZING!!! I loved it! I was like freaking out with every song! haha.

In that picture she is singing A Little Fall of Rain to an invisible Marius, then she dies for a couple of beats and jumps up and finished Show Off! It was such a riot! I wrote a six page review of it, I'll post it here.

1. I'm Beginning to See the Light
There was a recording introducing her, then this song started to play softly, then out comes Sutton! She looked so beautiful! She had on a knee length light pink / pale color dress and her hair was all curly in ringlets! She came out with her hands behind her back and started just real chill. When the ukulele has it’s solo she turned around and watched him, haha. This was so pretty live!

2. Medley #1: Not For the Life of Me, NYC, Astonishing
OMG!!! This was just AMAZING!!! Right after the first song a soft, mellow version of Not For the Life Me started. This was SUCH a cool moment because I could totally remember her the very first time I saw her live in 2003. I was so happy she did this song. It’s like my theme song, I blame this song a lot for my Millie / Sutton obsession, so I was so excited! She sang about have of it, then the music changed into this real soft, kinda jazzy NYC. Soo pretty. I like this song better not being belted. Thennn she sang ‘Here I go’ and I freaked out! It was so soft again. The only part she belted was the astonishing at the end. Sooo amazing!

Here she talked some. She mentioned her album, and that the first song is the first track on her album. And she explained about the medley. Oooh! Then she told us about Annie, she was like: “ You might remember the 20th anniversary Annie as the one where Joanna Pacinni was fired. And Barbara Walters had this big special. Well, if you go to you tube and type in [I don’t remember what it was] in that clip with the maids in the background, I’m the one with the big teeth. (she smiles and points to her teeth) See? Big teeth.’ Oh Sutton. Then she mentioned how pretty the view was from the Allen Room and she was like ‘Christopher Columbus, can you believe this?’ or something like that. I was so excited to hear her say that! Haha.

3. Up on the Roof
This song is just beautiful. I don’t remember anything specific about this song, though. Maybe I’ll think of something later.

4. Air Conditioner
OMG! Seeing this song live totally made my night! She was trying to be all sexy. She started back too then when the music started she turned around like side ways trying to act sexy … but it was more sexy in a Millie kinda way. Haha. When she sang ‘you can stand me in a cold shower’ she put her arm up like she was trying to act it out. Then when she sang the ‘what’s that, you say?’ part she was like whispering it, it was a riot. Then the ending where it’s like ‘I don’t care how big your ____ is’ Sutton motioned it with her arm and eyes. Priceless.

After this song she mentioned that Christine Lavin wrote that song and that she was in the audience. She waved. Then she introduced I Like the Sunrise and was like ‘but unfortunately Duke Ellington couldn’t make it tonight.’ hahaha.

5. I Like the Sunrise
Such a beautiful song. Her voice is just so beautiful. I loved this one live.

Ok, possibly one of my favorite parts. She asked us if we heard of Angel Cards (I think that’s what it was called, anyways) then she pulled up this cup that was black and had PIMP written in gold letters. She was like ‘you might be wondering why it says pimp, well, wait until you see it’s twin.’ (she pulls up another cup that is that same colors that had HO on it.) She drinks out of the HO cup. Such a riot. But with the cards she said that each night before the show she picks a card and bases her performance on it. They each have an inspirational word on them. She pulled out a few to show us. Like Beautiful, Enthusiastic, I don’t remember the other ones.

Then she decided she wanted to pick a card and base the next song on it. She was digging for a while and was like ’I am terrified, I have no idea what it will be. This could end up badly.’ or something. Then she finally pulled out Content. She was like ’ok, I can do that. I’m actually pretty content right now.’

6. SHOW OFF!!
Cue the Show Off first note. I FREAKED OUT!! Me and Lauren totally started this applause, haha. And, of course … knowing Sutton she can’t just sing this song ’contently’.

“I don’t want to wear this no more”
She pulls down her pink dress and has on a pretty purple dress. She just throws the other dress under the piano. Haha

“I don’t want to sing tunes no more”
She liked pointed to herself and laughed … I think it was a moment of, ’what am I saying?’ it was cute.

Umm, ok, then the ’showing off’ part started.

She first started to yodel!! Again, we freaked out! She sang a couple of bars of Roll in zhe Hay!

Thenn the music got real slow and she started to sing the end of A Little Fall of Rain!!! But of course, she can’t just sing it, no. She ended up laying on the floor, like she really was dying. Like she was singing to a pretend Marius. She totally reminded me of how Jo always has to act out her stories. Then she was ’dead’ for a couple of beats and she jumped up and finished Show Off!

“You’ll never see this”
She whips out her Tony! She held it for a little bit and spun the round part and sat it on the stool.

“You’ll never see this”
Um, she pulled things out of her bra, like the cups … yea, it was a riot!

“You’ll never see that”
She touched her tongue to her nose!! Hehehe.

Then the part where she drinks in the show, she took a drink at the concert. I was expecting to hear a recording of her throwing her voice, but I think it was just a habit from doing it in the show. Haha.

I think that was it. It was AMAZING!!! Such a riot!!

Then she started talking about the advantage of doing shows is meeting new people who become your best friends. We were freaking out! She said that Megan is the type of friend that went out and bought a new dress so she wouldn’t clash with Sutton’s dress on stage. Haha. Megan had a pink dress on, it was really pretty.

7. Flight [with Megan McGinnis!!]
OMG! Gorgeous!! At the end they held hands when the lights went down. It was a sweet moment. Like they were communicating something.

Umm, so then Megan stayed up there and Sutton introduced ANOTHER special guest. I was thinking it was going to be Brian D’Arcy James or someone, but better yet, it was GAVIN CREEL!!

8. That Wicky Wacky Hula Hula Wonka Honoluu Hawaiian Honey of Mine
….Wow! This was such a RIOT!! Just … wow! They did the same moves that they did when Sutton, Megan, and the unmentionable did it together. But it was just a riot! I love these three together!! Umm, before they left she hugged Megan, and gave Gavin a big kiss on the lips.

Sutton mentioned how she was playing hookie from Shrek (not to mention on Wed too, jeez. Haha) She said normally she would be farting and burping as Fiona at this time. Haha. She mentioned how lately she’s been so emerged in fairytales that she wanted to share with us a cut song from Shrek where Fiona learns that not all fairytales are by the book.

9. More to the Story
Sooo beautiful. I don’t know why they had to cut it.

She mentioned how that Jeff wrote the next song for her, and that he was in the audience too. I think this was when she was like ‘this place is packed with composers … all the composers in the house say HO!’ (Jeanine was the only one that did) ‘Thank you Jeanine!’ haha.

10. My Heart was Set on You
This is I think my favorite song on the album. Sooo gorgeous. She was really getting in to this song.

11. On My Way
I was sad because I knew this meant it was ending soon. But hearing it live was amazing. She gets so into it! She mentioned Jeanine again.

12. The Late, Late Show
This is a great song too. It was pretty live.

13. Sunshine on my Shoulders
Beautiful. After she sang this she mentioned how it’s the center piece of the album, and how she named it Wish (like from the Bway.com video) Then she mentioned the three wishes thing from the Ask A Star video. She said that she’s been asked it before, and she said the same wishes as on the video. Oh yes, an endless supply of beer and chocolate is still number two.

She dedicated this next song to one of the composers … I don’t remember who.

14. Oklahoma!!
Oh yea. And she even did the ‘Ow’ thing at the end. Oh, Sutton. She mentioned how she used it for auditions and it was sometimes lucky, but they would often ask her to come back sing something different. Haha.

15. Medley #2: Jimmy / I Have Dreamed [from The King and I] with Gavin!!!
She sang ‘Jimmy’, so softly, the crowd went wild. OMG. This was GORGEOUS!! She sang a few bars of Jimmy … then Gavin came back out and started to sing I Have Dreamed. Gavin was singing a love song to Sutton and she had the biggest smile on her face. Then she sang that song for a few bars, then as Gavin continued singing that song, Sutton sang a real slowed down version of Jimmy. It was like he was singing about loving her, and she was singing how she will trust him. So sweet. Then she sang something like “Oh Jimmyyy, I promise [it was a lyric from I Have Dreamed, I don’t remember] but it was just AMAZING!! Then they kissed on the check. But they held each other for a bit. I totally got the impression the entire time that he was out on the stage both times that they are a couple …

16. Being Alive from Company
Can you say tear jerker? Oh man, was this sad. Esp. after the love duet with Gavin, then she was singing about another guy … I think she was getting teared up in this song. It was so obvious who she was singing about …

17. Come the Wild, Wild Weather
Beautiful.

Then she ran off stage. Me and Lauren stood up, and Julien, and a few people on the floor, but we all just kept clapping … and back out she came!

ENCORE
18. Once Upon A Time
She just went right into this song … soo gorgeous.

My favorite story of the night …

“I’m not a great flyer, and let me tell you why. When we were coming back from Seattle with Shrek the flight attendants were going up and down the aisles talking real quietly to us all. (She whispered what the flight attendant said)

FA: We are going to have to make an emergency landing in Chicago.
Sutton: Why?
FA: We aren’t sure, we think it’s a mechanical problem.
Sutton: Okay …

In my head all I could think was ’I want to live, and I want to love.’ And I was just getting excited to doing Shrek.”

I don’t remember exactly how she said it, but she skipped the middle part, and was like ’wait. Let me go back.’ and she explained how she just wanted to love. She said that after a few minutes the AC stopped working and it got really hot in the plane. They were going down really fast and she was like screaming in her head. And when they landed they weren’t slowing down and they skidded in the grass and there were ambulances all surrounding the plane, and her first thought was ’oh good, I’m still alive.’ I know I’m leaving out a part, but I can’t remember all she said. But it was a great story. Scary.

Then she said real soft “I just want to love”

19. GIMME GIMME!
Then she whispered “A simple choice” and we all cheered again. OMG!! This was AMAZING!! And she totally did the famous Gimme Gimme pose at the end! And that was how the concert ended. She started to wave and she got a standing ovation as she left the stage. Tear.

Random things I can’t remember exactly when she said them …

1. Towards the beginning she said that this has been such a happy week for her because she is celebrating her debut cd release. “Or I don’t know if you know this, but in the music business, the lingo is the cd has dropped (she put her hands on her hips, so cute) I don’t really know what that means, but I think that means you can buy it in lobbies, stores and online now.” hahaha. But she was getting really emotional at first. You can tell how excited she is for this!

2. She thanked her band and said all their names like she always does. But she said she was going to start tearing up when she was introducing Michael Rafter because she loves performing with him so much.

3. There was a couple of times where she would get side tracked and she like ‘ok, focus Sutton’ haha. And she said at one point ‘I’m trying to segway into another song, but it’s not working’ or something.

I know so much more happened, but I can’t remember everything. I’m sure I’ll remember some more random moments. But it was just amazing!!

Um, and so I know that it's illegel, but whatever, will there be an audio floating around of this concert? There better be because this was her best concert like EVER!!!

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#28re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 2:40pm

Great review! I wish I could have gone.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#29re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 3:04pm

I am so in love with this CD.

That review posted was fantastic, I wish I could have gone!

And I too wish that there would be an audio of this concert floating around somewhere... it sounds like it was a one of a kind night.

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

Hank
#30re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 4:27pm

MillieDillmount, thanks so much. I too "wish" so much I could have been there. I have the cd though (listening to it right now), and loving every minute of it.
I got to see Sutton at the same venue about five years ago (as the sun was setting, and "New Jersey never looked so good", indeed!).
Gavin came on stage with her, WOW! I think they were the greatest stage couple ever.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#31re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 5:58pm

What an absolutely INCREDIBLE night. Sutton looked and sounded just AMAZING and I only adore her more for her talent. She is such an inspiration. One of the best nights I've ever had. A dream come true, really.

MillieDillmount
#32re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:24pm

You were there too? Where did you sit? I was in the last row in the center. You probably heard my friend and I ... we were freaking out the entire show! haha. It WAS an amazing night!

And I met Sutton afterwards too [for my sixth time, haha], and got my Wish cd signed! I was excited. Sutton was touched that I had it. And I met Jeanine Tesori!! And Megan McGinnis! It was a great night!

TotallyEffed
#33re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:37pm

Are you talking to me? I was at a table.

MillieDillmount
#34re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:40pm

I am so jealous! I would have LOVED to sit at a table!!

Were you by any chance the guy who gave a drawing to the lady to give to Sutton?

TotallyEffed
#35re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:43pm

That was me. re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread

MillieDillmount
#36re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:50pm

Ah. I was the other one waiting with the flowers. Did you ever catch Sutton? I know when she came out there were two other people waiting, but I was too star struck to notice who it was. haha.

TotallyEffed
#37re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/21/09 at 9:58pm

I actually didn't wait around for her. I had to run and I have met her before. But what a FABULOUS night.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#38re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 2:23am

Did anyone catch Sutton on NBC-4 TV or know what she performed?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

goldswann Profile Photo
goldswann
#39re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 9:34am

Yup, she sang "Up on the Roof" and "I'm Beginning to See the Light". Sutton rocked it, of course...

Amharclann Profile Photo
Amharclann
#40re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 9:57am

I love this album and thank you for the great concert review. I do secretly wish another bonus track was her song from Joe's Pub about Patrick Dempsey :)

nygrl232 Profile Photo
nygrl232
#41re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 12:17pm

She's going to be at Barnes & Noble (66th St) next Friday. Are B&N events usually just 'show up and grab a chair'?

Hank
#42re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 12:40pm

re: B&N, what time Friday?

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#43re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 12:46pm

I believe it's at 5PM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#44re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 12:47pm

5 PM. There are banner ads all over BWW with complete info.

Hank
#45re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/22/09 at 1:13pm

Yes, I just saw the ad on this site, thanks.
5.00, that's great, I can be there.

zerose
Hank
#47re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/24/09 at 6:32pm

I like how that Variety review concludes: "and most especially a breathtakingly tender, piano only rendition of Adams and Strouse's 'Once Upon a Time'".
Perhaps the most memorable track on the album for me.

Yankeefan007
#48re: The Sutton Foster 'Wish' Love Thread
Posted: 2/25/09 at 9:27am

The CD's a snore.

At least, I snored while listening to it.

It's not her talent that's in question - it's why she crafted an absolutely unexciting, safe, put-us-to-sleep album.