Meeting Marc Kudisch

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#1Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:01am

He got into my elevator on Thursday as I was telling the operator (yes, my building actually has manual elevators) about winning the WSS lottery. He said, "There's a lottery?!" After I explained how it worked, I said, "Loved you in 9 to 5" (of course, I didn't mention exactly how I had seen it =).

Anyway, he said, "Oh, it's so much better now - you wouldn't recognize it. New songs, major book changes - you're gonna love it." He was really cool and we had a nice chat as we walked down the block.

Cute in person, too!

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#2re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:14am

I can't wait!!! I hope Mundania wasn't cut, it's hilarious.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.
Updated On: 3/2/09 at 01:14 AM

PimpinPimpernel Profile Photo
PimpinPimpernel
#2re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:16am

Oh, you met him?! I'm so jealous!!!

On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the highest), how good do his sideburns look in person?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#3re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:18am

As long as "Get Out And Stay Out" wasn't touched, I'm good. I doubt it was though being how much they publicize that song.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

TimeSquare3
#4re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:19am

I wonder if Megan has a big song now.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#5re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:23am

She already had a big one - Backwoods Barbie was a pretty big song.

TimeSquare3
#6re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:25am

I know, but in contrast to Steph & Allison's it's lackluster. I think she needs a sort of "show off" song.

FeelingElectric
#7re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:44am

I think it's time to tell this story since this thread came up.

I have met Marc numerous times after seeing him in three different shows. The strangest of these meetings was after a show he wans't even in, literally in my own backyard.

In December, I attended the tour of A Chorus Line in Baltimore.

I was waiting for friends in the cast after the show, and to my complete shock saw Marc at the stage door. Long story short, he was there to see someone in the cast as well.

I talked with Marc for at least 10 minutes about the shows I've seen him in and 9 To 5 (which I'm seeing in May).

It was a great experience that I never would have expected to happen 10 minutes from my house.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#8re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:44am

Now I will def see this in New York. 3 times was not enough in LA re: Meeting Marc Kudisch

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

bwaybabe2
#9re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:47am

Anyone seen him at Sardi's or Broadway by the Year (1924)?

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#10re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:00am

Ah, this makes me so excited! April 7 cannot come fast enough. I wonder if they'll cut "I killed the Boss" since that seemed to be a dud, and if so what they might replace it with. Act 2 could be filled out more.

I actually think "Well-Oiled Machine" showcased Megan's lower register and belt wonderfully. It's such a feel-good song too. I considered that her "show off" song more than Backwoods Barbie. I think they'll give her a new song though since many recommended it. I just hope it works to advance her character development or plot in some way instead of just trying to please fans. The creative team are more than capable hands so I'm sure it will.

It wasn't a stand-out to me, but I enjoyed Mundania. However, I think they might cut it too. I think Kudisch will make his scene funny no matter what, so if the material is better, why not?
I wonder if there is a way of nuancing his character (eg. maybe show that sexist behavior is often learned through some childhood scene or something) without taking too much attention from the ladies or appearing to excuse him.

Other thoughts:
-I hope they keep "The One I love" or at least have something like it. It was touching and gave us info on the ladies' situations.

-Same with "Heart to Hart." Some thought it was too much, but it's a great number and it gets at a different aspect of power and gender in relationships.

-They need to strengthen Violet's and Joe's romance.

-Will they cut "Out of Control"? I read somewhere that a new song was written for Judy (not official, supposedly an assistant or someone similar connected to the show said it).

-The book already had great laughs. More witty dialogue would be great but I see them toying with it to get more emotion and develop the themes in a different way.

Sorry for the length. I just get excited when I think of the possibilities. 9 to 5 was really enjoyable in L.A. so if Marc says it has improved, then it should be great. I hope so. =)

PimpinPimpernel Profile Photo
PimpinPimpernel
#11re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:03am

I was serious about the sideburns; how good did they look? Or (oh no!) are they gone!?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#12re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:03am

Ha, this thread makes me think of the one called "Apparently, I Can't Recognize Marc Kudisch." Good thing you can, or this wouldn't have happened!

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#13re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:06am

Long story short, I actually grabed sushi with Marc Kudish about a year ago.

Yes, I would like a cookie.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

PiraguaGuy2
#14re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:11am

"Well-Oiled Machine" was too little, too late. "Backwoods Barbie" is not a big number the way Steph and Allison have. I can't wait to see the changes they make - since Joe and Violet's romance was pathetic.

A number in the vein of "The One I Love" should be kept, but not that one specifically. It's awful.

"I Killed The Boss" is like the Guys and Dolls revival - just like it was thought to be impossible to screw up Guys and Dolls, how do you screw up that hospital sequence from the movie?

I haven't got tickets yet, but I can't wait to see it (this time in a more, eh, legally-sanctioned fashion). Billy Elliot better step aside come Tony night.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

esparza 333
#15re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:14am

Having worked with Marc in Camelot it is really amazing how talented he is and how magnetic he is on stage in whatever role. He is such a wonderful person and I enjoyed chatting with him a lot. He will win a tony soon. Mark My Words

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#16re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:23am

Or rather, "Marc my words..."

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#17re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:40am

I met him on his way to rehearsal/my way to work--totally awkward I don't know what I was thinking. Then a few weeks later I went up to see a movie at and he was standing right by the escalator.

I also saw him at James Barbour's holiday concert. He and James had such great chemistry and he sang a song about being Jewish on Christmas which I found very funny.
Updated On: 3/2/09 at 10:40 AM

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#18re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 11:34am

Jeez...Marc is all over the place!

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#19re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 11:46am

I saw him in the reading of the new adaptation of the musical "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" two weeks ago here in Denver. It was part of the New Play Summit here at the DCTC.

Just give the world Love.

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#20re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:54pm

"how good do his sideburns look in person?"

Didn't notice his sideburns - I was too distracted! =)

Dollypop
#21re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 5:12pm

These stories remind me of the time that I was sitting at the bar of the old Ma Bell's Restaurant (now Junior's) and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting beside me. It turned out that she was Bibi Osterwald, who understudied the role of Dolly from Channing to Merman. We had quite a conversation and it wasn't until we were leaving that she introduced me to the woman who was sitting on her other side: Estelle Parsons.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PiraguaGuy2
#22re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 5:15pm

Here, Dolly, let me help you pick up these names you are dropping all over the place.

=)

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Yankeefan007
#23re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 6:04pm

I think it's time to tell this story since this thread came up.

I met Marc at the stage door and he used my marker to sign programs. Once he got finished signing, he gave it back to me. Well, having Marc Kudisch DNA on my pen and a mad scientist cousin, I couldn't not jump at the opportunity to have him cloned.

I now have my own Marc Kudisch that I laugh and have tea parties with whenever I want.

Beats all of you!

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#24re: Meeting Marc Kudisch
Posted: 3/2/09 at 8:05pm

"I now have my own Marc Kudisch that I laugh and have tea parties with whenever I want."

LMFAO!!!!!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Videos