Just saw the Hairspray tour

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#1Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 2:55am

This was my third time seeing the non-Equity tour of Hairspray. I saw it twice in 2007, and I'm glad to report that the show is as great as ever! The cast is really for for the most part. Jerry O'Boyle is my favorite Edna. Everyone should see this show if they can. Just saw the Hairspray tour

lightguy06222
#2re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:29am

I also saw the non-eq. tour of hairspray and I think it was miserable. The lighting was splotchy, and POORLY reproduced by a different designer. The set seemed drastically scaled down. Costumes were fine. Direction seemed fumbled, also poorly reproduced by a different director, and the talent was so so. Edna was good, but most of the actors fell flat. Only person who really impressed me was Link.

Very disappointing, because it makes non-eq actors look bad. There are FAR more talented non-eq. actors out there. I know, ive worked with them.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 11:42am

Is Brooklynn still playing Tracy?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

dancindramadork
#3re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:15pm

When I saw it in February, yes, Brooklyn was still playing Tracy. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it hasn't been that long since I've seen it.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#4re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:03pm

Brooklynn Pulver is still Tracy. She was wonderful. Lightguy, I completely disagree with your opinion, but I never did get to see it on Broadway.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:06pm

Amy Toporek was a much better Tracy when she joined the tour last summer due to Brooklynn's injury.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#6re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:30pm

I saw Amy in Walnut Street Theatre's production - she was wonderful.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#7re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:31pm

I don't think Jerry & Brooklynn plan on leaving. How did you like Lisa Linette?

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#8re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:38pm

Myself and a friend were considering seeing the tour in New Brunswick and were wondering: Do they have student rush/lotto or cheap tickets.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/23/09 at 03:38 PM

TimeSquare3
#9re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:43pm

I wouldn't think so. I payed $25 for cheap seats, I don't know about elsewhere though.

broadwaypumpkin
#10re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 3:57pm

Saw it in Baton Rouge in February and thought it was great. Loved Edna...and loved that (s)he cracked up during 'Timeless'. Second time I've seen that happen...and made a joke...is that a "Baton Rouge in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?!" The audience erupted! It was very funny!!! Loved Link as well.....thought he was precious.

FindingNamo
#11re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:13pm

Oh my god, that's HILARIOUS. In all my live long days I've never ever ever ever ever EVER heard of an Edna cracking up (cracking UP!) and making an ad lib (AD LIBBING!!LOL) in Timeless to Me. I so so so so wish I could have seen that in Baton Rouge. It must of bin AWESOME.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TimeSquare3
#12re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:22pm

The "Ad-lib" in Timeless is in the script. Except for the Baton Rouge part.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#13re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:31pm

Lisa Linette was fabulous

FindingNamo
#14re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:31pm

No kidding? Gosh!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#15re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:53pm

You would think that Brooklyn and Jerry would be getting kind of sick of the tour. 3 years is alot sure, but with the past year being one nighters and sleeping on the bus to the next town I think it would really take alot out of you. Im sure they are still having a blast playing their characters but the traveling must be a pain every night well I guess besides going to Asia.

TimeSquare3
#16re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:01pm

Brooklynn absolutely LOVES going to Japan & China during the summer.

AndAllThatJazz22
#17re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:06pm

Brooklynn is a sweetheart, I met her, and she seems to adore playing Tracy. The hairspray to is wonderful, my only complaint would be the wobbly backdrop of a set, but that was very easy to overcome. The cast is wonderful and has energy, that's more than I can say about the so/so non-eq tour cast of the recently ended non-eq chicago tour.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

TimeSquare3
#18re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:09pm

I was going to stage door but it was a one nighter so I didn't want to bother them while they loaded everything out.

AndAllThatJazz22
#19re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:10pm

My city does this whole cast party thing after opening night, it's pretty fun.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#20re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:42pm

I went to the SD last night and everyone was really sweet. I forgot to mention that the other standout performance was Erin Sullivan as Amber.
Updated On: 3/23/09 at 05:42 PM

RentBoy86
#21re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 6:39pm

They both are a very specific "type" so I'm sure they're thanking the Gods for having a steady job for 3 years.

Anyone have the cast info? Like who plays Link?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#22re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 6:50pm

Do they still sell the Hairspray Merchandise on the tour?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

TimeSquare3
#23re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:15pm

They didn't when I saw them in January.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#24re: Just saw the Hairspray tour
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:17pm

Yeah, they sold shirts and stuff.

Videos