#25re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/9/09 at 12:30pm

Do they have student rush for this?

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#26re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/9/09 at 12:56pm

Yes.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=994345#3809430

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Pocketsquared Fanadu Profile Photo
Pocketsquared Fanadu
#27re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/9/09 at 2:46pm

Eug--your review is spot on...I feel like we have gotten to know not only these characters, but this ensemble of incredibly talented actors, and I have been looking forward to tonight's performance all day. I have to say that your inclusion of the audience as a character also hits the nail right on the head. Because of the 'in the round' setting, I spotted people whose reactions seemed to jive with mine on Tuesday night who I specifically sought out last night, and will look for again tonight. I also am attending with a group, and it's just so much fun to say "See you tomorrow night!" to them and know that we can pick up our conversations about the plays all over again. I strongly recommend this absolutely unique and entertaining theatrical puzzle.

The last vampire is the mother of all vampires and that is the vampire of despair. It'll wake you up at 4am to say things like: Who do you think you are kidding? You look like a fool! No matter how hard you try, you'll never be good enough! Why is it that if some dude walked up to me on the subway platform and said these things, I'd think he was a mentally ill as-h-le, but if the vampire inside my head says it,It's the voice of reason! DIE VAMPIRE, DIE--[SUSAN in tos]

RentBoy86
#28re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/9/09 at 11:40pm

Oh I'm excited! I won't read anymore, I don't want to have too high of standards for it.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#29re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 12:29am

I have finished the trilogy. GO SEE THESE SHOWS.

Yero my Hero
#30re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 9:47am

I just have one more play to go, but I have to wait until May to see it!

Love it! Go see it! Any one or all three! I took my boyfriend last night who knew absolutely nothing about the trilogy, was skeptical about the concept, and hates spending money on anything. (The tickets were comps.) After it ended, he said, "I kinda have to see the other two now. I hate that."

GO SEE THE NORMAN CONQUESTS! I can't say it enough!

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#31re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 10:42am

Yero you have to wait until May?! Which one haven't you seen?

Yero my Hero
#32re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 11:01am

The third one. I saw TABLE MANNERS on Wednesday, LIVING TOGETHER on Thursday, and I have a ticket to ROUND AND ROUND THE GARDEN for May 16. I happen to be seeing them in order, although that was not intentional.

They were all free, through a variety of offers, circumstances, and acquaintances, so I'm not complaining. Much.

Discerning
#33re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 5:33pm

Having seen the Trilogy when I was in London, I can honestly say that the plays, acting and directing were the best I have ever seen.
You laugh and cry at the same time and get so caught up in each and every character that you feel genuine pain when things don't work out as they should and so happy for them when it does.
Some people only see the comedic moments ( and there are plently ) but it takes a deeper, more observational and sensitive person to fully appreciate these wonderful plays.
I would unhesitatingly watch them all again. It's more than a day at the Theater, it's an event.

April Saul
#34re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/10/09 at 10:08pm

You guys are getting me so psyched! I'm giving myself the trilogy tomorrow (with the help of TDF) as an Easter present...I hope I'll be as happy as you all were doing them in a marathon state; any tips?

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#35re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/11/09 at 12:24am

Can't wait to hear what you guys think of the show! And I am curious about what the experience is like marathoning them in one day. I spread them out over three consecutive days and each day I was so antsy the entire day, knowing I would be off to the Circle in the Square for more!

As far as tips go, just sit back and enjoy! The shows are a riot and things flood back to you as more and more of the story unfolds.

Discerning
#36re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/11/09 at 4:36am

Tips for the trilogy days. Pace yourself, watch out for the waste paper basket and sit back and enjoy!

leefowler
#37re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/11/09 at 9:40am

I'm seeing the trilogy today, which starts in an hour and a half, at 11:00! Has there ever been a Broadway show time of 11:00?

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#38re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/11/09 at 12:29pm

okay, I'm already seeing them out of order, there's no avoiding that, but do you think one benefits from seeing them in close proximity to one another? I'll be able to fit in ROUND AND ROUND THE GARDEN and LIVING TOGETHER this week, but due to the way their schedule works out, I won't be able to get in TABLE MANNERS till at least 5/2. Any advice?

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#39re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/11/09 at 11:15pm

Calvin - I was there this morning at the 11am show too. I got the tin of crackers thrown at me. Yay!

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#40re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:07am

I just got back from Round and Round the Garden and I'm giddy all over! This could turn out to be one of my favorites of the season.

It's quite refreshing after seeing plays that are supposed to be funny (The Philanthropist, Accent On Youth), to go to a comedy and actually laugh. And boy did I laugh!!

The six actors really know their characters and have laced their performances with some beautiful idosyncrasies. I loved the way Jessica Hynes kept messing with her hair; that sad look in her eyes just killed me too.

Ben Miles was hilariously awkward and his ****spoiler**** proposal to Annie was equal parts funny, desparate and heartbreaking. Amanda Root was a riot in her seduction scene with Norman. The exterior vs. interior emotions were great.

Amelia Bullmore didn't come on until the second act, but when she did she packed a wallop! Watching her attempt to assemble the folding chair was a delight and her following exchange with Tom- wow. (Plus she had great Patti Lupone hair.)

Paul Ritter seemed to have the least to do in the one, but I'm interested to see what happens with his character in the other plays. He seemed to snap at some point off stage because he went from happy-go-lucky to sour at Sarah by the final scene.

My favorite of the evening was Stephen Mangan. He was slightly distractingly attractive as Norman, and what a character he has created. He seemed very clown-like, and was always grabbed my attention when on stage.

The really star of the evening though was Matthew Warchus. This man must be a genius. Boeing-Boeing, God of Carnage and now this. How do you make a bare patch of grass and six actors hold your attention for two hours? A piece of cake for this man. Not only did he have them moving around enough so that you always got to see facial expressions, etc, but he does it so naturally that you don't realize how much everyone is moving.

To quote a former resident of Circle in the Square, it was an evening of "perfect syzygy!"

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#41re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:08am

There's a lot more of Paul Ritter's Reg (and also Amanda Root's Sarah) in the other two plays. Ritter has an exit and entrance in Table Manners which brings him into Living Together the following night that is a delightful highlight. He also has some very funny material involving his homemade board game in Living Together.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Yankeefan007
#42re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:59am

Ritter deserves the Tony.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#43re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 10:41am

Yes, and the board game bit makes the catching game they play in the garden all the funnier.

Truly, to all those worrying about order, there is no real "order." On Saturday, they'd even added an insert kind of making fun of that fact.

Round and Round the Garden technically has the very first scene chronologically of all the shows, but it also has the final scene, too. Whatever you'll see first, you'll be surrounded by people laughing at things that you might not understand why they are funny, but as you go through the shows, you'll be more in on the joke. It really is a fabulous experience. I enjoyed every moment.

(and HouFlip, at least you didn't get doused with the carrot wine! That stuff looks like Vitamin Water. re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews )
Updated On: 4/14/09 at 10:41 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#44re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:09am

Ok I look forward to seeing more of Ritter then. I hope the cast is remembered come Tony nomination time, but my heart is still with Robinson from Joe Turner's clinching the win.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#45re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:06pm

I saw Table Manners on Saturday, and loved loved loved it. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much and had such a great time. This cast is superb! Talk about why there should be a Tony for Best Ensemble. Seeing the other two plays Sat mat/eve ... and can't wait. I've been telling everyone to go see this treasure.

And no, I am not at all a fan of British humor or British sit-coms. This play is just plain funny and brilliantly written and acted.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#46re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:22am

I'm catching my final installment either Wed at 8pm or Sat at 3pm

WhizzerMarvin
#47re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 9:35am

I'm going for the my third time tonight, and I'm so sad that there won't be anymore. I wish this could be like a tv show where I could show up every week for a new installment.

I love this incredible ensemble so much. The dinner scene at Table Manners was an absolutely riot. I was actually hurting because I was laughing so hard. All the jokes about Tom and his chair were too much to handle.

For me, Amanda Root owned this play though. As Eugene noted her facial expressions are so funny. What this woman can say without uttering a word is awesome to watch. ***spoiler***Her big fight at dinner and then the following morning at breakfast telling Norman to call on her some afternoon clinched her Tony nom for me. ***end spoiler***

This little trilogy deserves to be a big hit on Broadway. Why can't everything be this good?!?!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#48re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 11:27am

Did anyone else think the guy playing Reg had a great ass? Sorry, I couldn't help but stare at it as I was on the front row all three times. He was wearing some TIGHT pants, though, ha.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#49re: THE NORMAN CONQUESTS: Info & Reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 5:39pm

Reg's pants were a little too tight the evening I attended TABLE MANNERS... I was sitting directly behind him during the dinner-scene and got a decent helping of butt-crack.