pixeltracker

Pardon my complete and total ignorance...

Pardon my complete and total ignorance...

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#1Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 9:57pm

...but how exactly does TKTS work? I've always just bought my tickets ahead of time via the interweb (for fear of losing out completely) but have an upcoming trip to NYC and am wondering what I should know ahead of time!

Thanks!

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:06pm

You go wait on line and when you get to the window tell them what tickets you want and you get them for a discount.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:10pm

fairly simple really:

Any shows that have a certain number (or percentage) of unsold seats send them to the office for same day sales at a steep discount.

Problem 1: you can never be sure what shows are available from day to day or even performance to performance

Problem 2: you need to be willing to give up a pretty big hunk of time.

Basically you get in a line before the box office opens and wait. And wait. Bring a friend, something to read or just be willing to strike conversation up with fellow line neighbors. Once the line STARTS moving, it goes pretty quickly. By the time you get to the front of the line you should know what you will be asking for. (There are signs that tell you WHAT shows they have available for that performance.)

Expect to wait and dont expect customer service.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#3re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:11pm

hm. okay thanks.

As you may imagine, that didn't really provide me with much. Where is it? How long is the line up/wait usually? Is every show available to purchase?

Any advice/helpful hints would be appreciated. need not post sarcasm, thanks.

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#4re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:13pm

Thank you dramamama. I posted at the same time and didnt get to read your reply. Thanks again!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#5re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:17pm

It is located in the center of Times Square, I believe at 46th or 47th street, I think. Someone else might be able to help with this better. You'll see a giant staircase there though, and it is right under that.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

heo1128
#6re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:18pm

There are several TKTS locations, one in the heart of Times Square (giant red steps, you cant really miss it) and I know there's one in Brooklyn in the Brooklyn Bridge area, but I don't know where the other locations are.

Depending on where you live, you might also want to look in to a TDF National Membership (the same company that runs TKTS). If you're a "full time teacher, full time student, union members, retirees, civil service employees, staff members of not-for-profit organizations, performing arts professionals, members of the armed forces or clergy", and live more than 100 MI from NYC, you can get a TDF membership for $11 and get tickets to some shows for around $30.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:22pm

It's between Broadway and 7th Ave as they converge between 46th and 47th St., also known as Duffy Square.
Once you get to TIMES SQUARE you will find it.
All but the Huge hits, WEST SIDE STORY, JERSEY BOYS, WICKED usually appear during the week, the weekend can be slimmer pickens.

TDF is one of the best investments I have made, but I live here. Updated On: 4/13/09 at 10:22 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:26pm

There is also a booth downtown by the South Street Seaport. It opens earlier (11AM?) and sells matinee tickets a day early.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#9re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:34pm

I just wanted to add to this that I don't know if it's really necessary to get in line hours before it opens. The theaters send tickets over until close to curtain time, so it seems to me that you have just as much of a chance getting seats to a show closer to curtain time than hours before. For an 8:00 curtain I might get in line around 5 PM and then still have plenty of time to go to dinner before the show. Of course, during really busy holiday times you might want to get in line earlier.
Also, I don't think anyone mentioned that there is a lit-up sign there that is continuously updated with the available shows and how much of a discount is being offered. It's really good if you can arrive with several shows in mind that you'd like to see, so you can make a decision quickly once you get there and see what's available.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#10re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:35pm

If you're not terribly picky about what you see, the line is usually pretty short around 5 or 6 pm. That way you don't have to wait forever. However at that point your options will be less abundant, and the seats may not be the best. Wicked, Jersey Boys, South Pacific, WSS, and Billy Elliott, and The Lion King are pretty much never available at TKTS (at least in Times Sq.) Mamma Mia, Phantom, Hair, In the Heights, and God of Carnage have been available sometimes, but more often than not (at least in the past couple weeks) they are not there.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#11re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:48pm

I agree. getting there later in the afternoon is fine.
But look at the electric signs for availability.

broadfan327
#12re: Pardon my complete and total ignorance...
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:27am

http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp for a table of recent shows they have had.

Videos