News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

JCS: Original Hunky Jesus

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#1JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:16am

Is there gonna be a revival?

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#2re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:49pm

One would imagine that there should be one soon. This past season there was JCS Gospel (the Louis St. Louis gospel-tinged reimagining) at the Alliance in Atlanta, and that was briefly rumored to be in prep for a tour followed by a Broadway run. Also, there's been talk in the West End of a new revival to star Lee Mead, directed by Marianne Elliot, with one of the lead roles to be cast via a reality TV show. But so far, these reports are mostly unconfirmed on both counts.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:57pm

Anything to erase the memories of Glenn "the screaming Jesus" Carter from the role.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#3re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:03pm

Much agreed, although the current Ted Neeley tour has pretty much wiped out those memories for me. He's a much better, grittier screaming Jesus. To me, he embodies the person who can still squeeze some rock out of the role long after the rock was sucked out of the show's style, for the most part. And to me, in a weird way, he really seems to have developed a better performance now than the one he gave in his heyday. I wish he could go on doing it forever, but obviously that's untenable.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#4re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:06pm

"Is there gonna be a revival?"

I Hope Not.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#5re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:10pm

South Fl Marc, is that a bootleg as your profile pic? Tsk, tsk, not allowed...

But god no, I've never been a fan of this show, and no "amazing" revival could make me say otherwise.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#6re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:12pm

It's okay; every show has fans and every show has detractors. If I might ask, does the score's sound have anything to do with your dislike? The plot? I'm intrigued...everyone I run into has something they like about it, even if they don't like it as a whole.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#7re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:16pm

The score. Never really a fan of Webber, and this show is the main reason. I actually like how they present the story in the show, but the music is just horrendous, in my opinion. I can see how others can love it, but the horrible score just halts any enjoyment I could get from the show.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#8re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:32pm

Well, even speaking as a fan of the show, I sometimes feel guilty for liking the score because of the plagiarism (sometimes self-plagiarism of Webber's earlier works) that occurs throughout the show. And some of it is extremely obvious (the 1960s TV "Batman" theme as the opening lick to "Damned for All Time" is one glaring example).

However, all that aside, a lot is accomplished with the score that you would not see done in such a timely and efficient manner in a conventional book musical. For example, look at the opening number post-Overture, "Heaven on Their Minds." It accomplishes in roughly three minutes what it would take two or three scenes in a "book" musical to establish. Right from the top, here's Judas, he's the central dramatic character, this is his relationship with Jesus, these are the doubts he has about Jesus' approach and they sound like he's an intelligent man with legitimate concerns, and some background on Jesus' growing ministry is thrown in for good measure. It's not Shakespeare by any means, but it's a real masterpiece of economical, character-driven exposition.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#9re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:51pm

^^gvendo2005, I agree with all your points and I think it's all due to Tim Rice and his lyrics. His lyrics work so well (and do the same feat in Evita, very clever) that they convey a traditional story is an engaging and new manner. "Heaven on Their Minds" is a perfect example, and I especially like the lyrics of "Superstar" and think that "Gethsemane" lyrics are powerful as well.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#10re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:01pm

I think also that the songs are enhanced by performance. For example, for me, no one can top Ted Neeley's performance of "Gethsemane." And watching clips of his performance over the years, to say nothing of the continuing raves on this tour, just goes to show how he grew in the role.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:34pm

I think the score to JCS is brilliant. You have music (ROCK MUSIC) that actually tells a story and each song has SO much character development within it. It's not just a "Let's put a pretty song here" like a lot of shows do. That song is there for a PURPOSE and is executed amazingly. In my opinion, it is Webber's best score next to EVITA.

By the way, they are in talks for a movie remake (THANK GOD)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#12re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 7:49pm

I would love a full-scale, lavish revival. I saw the Neeley tour last year, and I was happy, but I wanted to be blown away. I love the score and wanted a better production. This is one of my all time favorites.

breakfree303
#13re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:31pm

I've seen JCS twice.
Once with a man whose name isn't coming to me at the moment, and I LOVED him.
Saw Neeley last year, and wasn't thrilled at all. I had heard such great reviews of him, but thought it wasn't anything near my first experience with the show. (*holds hands in front of face* please don't hurt me!!!)

I'm praying for a revival because I love the show very much, and would love a hunky Jesus.

I was watching I Love the 70's on VH1 awhile ago, and remember Stephen Lynch was a commentator on the events that took place in the 70's, and when they discussed the JCS movie, he said he'd like to play Jesus in a revival. Now if it was a joke, I understand, but if it was for real, I'd be excited.

"'Cats' is the second worst thing that ever happened to New York City"-Jersey Girl

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#14re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:33pm

I saw the tour last month... SO BAD! It was... awful. Both the show and Ted Neeley. He just shouted half the time, but oh man, I am trying to forget my time wasted...

eatlasagna
#15re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:13am

i saw the tour with Sebastian Bach as Jesus... it was pretty good... does anyone remember that? it started at the La Mirada theater in CA... was that based on the recent revival?

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#16re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:40am

Yes, the tour starring Sebastian Bach and Carl Anderson was indeed based on the last Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar directed by Gale Edwards, although the tour was choreographed by Dana Solimando, not Anthony Van Laast. Not sure how different the choreography was, as I didn't see either production.

I never liked the score of this show as much as other Webber shows. Evita, Joseph, and Sunset Blvd are all stronger in my opinion.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

ladybegood
#17re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 4:49am

Would love to see the proposed new film done fantastically!

Would love a revival as well. It is still a stunning piece! And there was indeed a rumour as mentioned above that Lee Mead was supposed to be involved in a production as directed by Marianne Elliott. But I heard him say in a radio interview that there had been the possibility of a concert version but that that got cancelled, possibly in favour of a West End revival instead. And that would be great, as long as that doesn't get the reality show treatment. Apart from anything else, both Jesus and Judas are a horrendously tough sing (Judas has hospitalised many), and it would be appallingly irresponsible to risk having someone cast who isn't both properly trained and experienced.

But whether for the film or the revival, they are not going to get better than Steve Balsamo.

SporkGoddess
#18re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:06pm

I adore Ted Neely's Jesus, though of course he's too old to play him now.

Honestly, I think the original JCS movie is fantastic and there's no need to remake it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

broadwaytourist
#19re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 2:02pm

I nominate Eric Kunze as JC. I saw him on the tour (I think after Bach had left it), and he was unforgettable. He's the right age and has the right training and experience. I would love to see him back on Broadway in anything, but I love his Gethsemane!

SporkGoddess
#20re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 2:22pm

Yeah, I saw him in the tour as well and agree. He was fantastic!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

FindingNamo
#21re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 2:35pm

All you haters sound like a bunch of jaded Mandarins.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#22re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 3:32pm

"All you haters sound like a bunch of jaded Mandarins."

LOL! I to would love to see Kunze as Jesus again.

eatlasagna
#23re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 4:40pm

questions.. why did the revival fail? was it the same revival that was in London and they brought it to the US? was it the same one with Jerome Pradon on DVD?

the one i saw with Sebastian Bach was pretty good... but i heard that it was different from the one on Broadway..

just curious... thanks

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#24re: JCS: Original Hunky Jesus
Posted: 4/15/09 at 7:02pm

I think 90% of the people in the original JCS movie can NOT sing. Blah

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Videos