pixeltracker

Bernadette Peters as Lovett - Will it EVER Happen?- Page 10

Bernadette Peters as Lovett - Will it EVER Happen?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#225Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/22/16 at 7:45pm

I still maintain that Bernadette would be hilariously wrong as Mrs. Lovett, but I sincerely doubt she is going to be cast in an off-Broadway production of this show in a 130-seat theatre. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#226Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/22/16 at 7:51pm

I don't think that this is her chance, but Her and Mandy would be spectacular.  I'd also love to see Len Cariou come back as the Judge.

¿Macavity?
#227Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:04am

^I would kill for that.

Jarethan
#228Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:10am

I can't help thinking their ages work against them for long runs.  How about a very limited run set of performances, a la Follies at Carnegie Hall or Company at Avery Fisher, etc.?

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#229Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 11:09am

Wilmingtom said: "Johanna is still a ward which might insinuate she's in her teens. Even if she's 20, that would put Sweeney in his late 30s at the very most."

None of the characters in Sweeney Todd are the conventional-family, "Father Knows Best" types. I could believe that Sweeney and Lucy were a May-December couple (he being in his 40s, perhaps; she even as young as her late teens).

Judge Turpin intends to marry the significantly younger Johanna, and there would seem to be no social stigma in his or his compatriots' minds. I don't see why Sweeney and Lucy need to be the same age.

If Bernadette Peters were to play Mrs. Lovett, I would really like to see her let go of the trademark, curly hairstyle she has both onstage and in real life. I've never seen her do a movie or stage role without it. Bless her, she still looks like an ingenue because of her cupie-doll lips, doe-eyes, and that hair. For my tastes, that does not work for Mrs. Lovette, though.

Updated On: 8/23/16 at 11:09 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#230Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 11:25am

1) Peters (who will be 69 when this production opens) no longer has the voice to effectively sing Lovett; she would be merely barking before intermission. (Lansbury was only 54 when she did it.)

2) This production will play to roughly 35 people at each performance, and with the British cast coming over.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#231Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 11:30am

The original London staging sat 35. Per the press release, this transfer will seat 130.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Esther
#232Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 11:32am

"
2) This production will play to roughly 35 people at each performance, and with the British cast coming over.

"

There will be 130 seats , according to the NY Times. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#233Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 11:37am

The Times quote is "The theater, which will seat 130, will be adjusted to try to capture the intimacy and atmosphere of Harrington’s, which held just 35 audience members."

That's not entirely accurate; the theatre already seats 130-199, depending on the production; seating will be reduced for this production. But please don't take my word for that.

Updated On: 8/23/16 at 11:37 AM

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#234Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 1:40pm

I'd like to say that when Peters sang the ITW score at the reunion a year or so ago, her voice sounded just as sublime to me as it did on the recording. She could still easily sing Lovett.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#235Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:15pm

I don't quite see Bernadette Peters committing to an Off-Broadway production of "Sweeney Todd" which is aiming to seat less than a hundred people.

But I do admire the enthusiasm of those who really want to see her play the part of Lovett.

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#236Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:27pm

bekk99 said: "I'd like to say that when Peters sang the ITW score at the reunion a year or so ago, her voice sounded just as sublime to me as it did on the recording. She could still easily sing Lovett."

I was at that reunion, and she did sound great, but there's a big difference between singing two numbers in a concert atmosphere and a full staging of arguably Sondheim's hardest score. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

broadwayboy223
#237Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:28pm

I'd love to see her in a revival. I saw her in concert in February and she was wonderful. Her voice is still there but there were some rough ish moments where she cracked a little. I think if took on Lovett she would probably work on it with her voice teacher consistently and she would be fine. Maybe this should be a LCT concert or a Avery Fisher Hall type deal? I'd love to see her in a fully stated revival though as well. Anyone know if she's looking to return to Broadway?

indytallguy
#238Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 3:31pm

I adore this woman and desperately want to see her on stage again, but at this point I just cannot see her fairing well in this role.

Esther
#239Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 3:38pm

Maybe this should be a LCT concert or a Avery Fisher Hall type deal?

"

The Philharmonic just did Sweeney in 2014. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#240Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/23/16 at 6:52pm

If Staunton has the voice, Bernadette has the voice. I'm so sad that this might be yet another opportunity for her to slip by (even if not the best suited). If she really wanted to play it though for little $$$, I think it would happen now. The producers would be stupid not to want her if they could because with a theatre that small the entire run would sell out at Broadway prices. But it's very possible she doesn't care about it as much as I do haha. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jarethan
#241Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 8/24/16 at 1:44am

Esther said: "Maybe this should be a LCT concert or a Avery Fisher Hall type deal?

"

The Philharmonic just did Sweeney in 2014. 

So what?  If the goal is to get a recorded performance with Bernadette Peters as Lovett (and Patinkin???), I think someone could figure out how to present it and make some money for a good charitable cause in the process.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#242Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 2/2/20 at 4:58pm

I just had a thought. What if instead of Bernadette Peters as Mrs Lovett - it's Bernadette Peters as Sweeney Todd in a gender-swapped production a la Company? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#243Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 2/2/20 at 8:46pm

newintown said: "1) Peters (who will be 69 when this production opens)no longer has the voice to effectively sing Lovett; she would be merely barking before intermission. (Lansbury was only 54 when she did it.)...."

And Angela wrote me that she was doing almost no talking whatsoever except on stage while she was in the show. The role is that demanding vocally. I like Miss Peters very much, but I don't understand why people think Lovett is a natural fit for her, particularly at this point in her life.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#244Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 2/3/20 at 10:36am

Wilmingtom said: "Johanna is still a ward which might insinuate she's in her teens. Even if she's 20, that would put Sweeney in his late 30s at the very most. I don't think Mandy plays late 30s any longer."

No it wouldn't, because the standard in Victorian England were for men to marry late--but to marry very young women. Men were supposed to become established in their profession and then save money and then get married. It's most likely Benjamin Barker was in his 30's when he married Lucy, who was probably about 18.

Dollypop
#245Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 2/3/20 at 10:17pm

John Adams said: "Wilmingtom said: "Johanna is still a ward which might insinuate she's in her teens. Even if she's 20, that would put Sweeney in his late 30s at the very most."

None of the characters in Sweeney Todd are the conventional-family, "Father Knows Best" types. I could believe that Sweeney and Lucy were a May-December couple (he being in his 40s, perhaps; she even as young as her late teens).

Judge Turpin intends to marry the significantly younger Johanna, and there would seem to be no social stigma in his or his compatriots' minds. I don't see why Sweeney and Lucy need to be the same age.

If Bernadette Peters were to play Mrs. Lovett, I would really like to see her let go of the trademark, curly hairstyle she has both onstage and in real life. I've never seen her do a movie or stage role without it. Bless her, she still looks like an ingenue because of her cupie-doll lips, doe-eyes, and that hair. For my tastes, that does not work for 

Sorry, Bernadette's curls are a wig. She and I have a mutual friend and we've met at his home several times.  Her natural hair is darker and she wears a short ponytail off stage.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#246Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 4/7/22 at 2:43am

You know, Bernadette has shown she will replace (A Little Night Music, Hello, Dolly!). Maybe if she is up to it she can replace Ashford if the Sweeney revival goes ahead. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#247Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 4/7/22 at 3:40am

binau said: "You know, Bernadette has shown she will replace (A Little Night Music, Hello, Dolly!). Maybe if she is up to it she can replace Ashford if the Sweeney revival goes ahead."

That would be fab, but replacements aren’t usually twice the age of the person they’re replacing. Not that Bernadette couldn’t still play Lovett, but the rumored creatives apparently see the character very differently for this proposed production.

JasonC3
#248Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 4/7/22 at 4:52am

I hope any future Bernadette roles and performances to be ones that fit her current vocal range and capabilities perfectly, so that the final times she graces a stage get to showcase her talents in her best form.   Sadly, I don't think this would be true for Mrs. Lovett.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#249Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:47pm

Well, I guess it’s not Bernadette but I’ve been asking for 14 years and I’m not about to stop now. 

Videos