PalJoey
#2re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:24pm

No.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:28pm

Does anyone here like cake? What's your favorite kind?

I LOVE brownies

re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:29pm

And cheesecake!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:31pm

Those brownies look yummy!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:32pm

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:34pm

The second batch of brownies looks better!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:39pm

I'm partial to rice krispy treats, myself.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FindingNamo
#8re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:42pm

I agree, it's totally not fair. I'm telling.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

COOOOLkid
#9re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:23am

To be honest, they all give different performances so I'm not in favor of the "If one of them wins, all three will have to be given awards since they're little kids" idea.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Yankeefan007
#10re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:25am

There's a difference between the Phantom situation, the Evita situation and this situation.

Billy x 3 share the role. None of them are "alternates."

sgv123
#11re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:30am

The 3 in London won the Olivier and the 4(less performances than NY boys) in Sydney won the Helpmann. What is the difference between those 2 awards and the Tony?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:33am

It's like deciding which cake is best:

They're all winners!

wizard2joe
#13re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:40am

The first cheese cake looks delicious but
^
|
| These look too sweet I dont like them to sweet
lol thats just me though.

Parks
#14re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:20am

All this cake and brownies talk is making me hungrier!!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

MusicalComedyMan
#15re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:22am

Another factor, is that for the boys to be considered individually the Tony voters would have all had to see the show 3 times.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#16re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:25am

Why is it unfair? For the boys to win, they have to all be exceptional. Remember that the voters are voting on the Billy they saw, so if one of the three is not incredible then they lose 1/3 of votes they would otherwise receive - a really tough situation if this happens.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#17re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:35pm

i think there should be a Tony award for best cake recipe.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#18re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:39pm

I think I'll award the red velvet...

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#19re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:51pm

Cake can be mean.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#20re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:09pm

Which cake is the alternate?

fbueller
#21re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:36pm

Could you imagine how it would feel if you were a Billy who didn't get nominated while the other 2 did?

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#22re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:37pm

it depends. most people go for the chocolate or yellow cake. i think ice cream cake is the alternate. and now they have added a new one that doesn't deserve the award. chocolate mousse.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#23re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:46pm

Sorry, this seemed appropriate after the Red Velvet

houselightsout Profile Photo
houselightsout
#24re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:52pm

If it's about how the boys feel in not being nominated when another one is, it's interesting that they didn't take that into account when nominating the actor playing Michael.

I believe it's worse than simply unfair to nominate these three boys - it's ludicrous. They don't all give the same performance, so to judge them all equally against each of the other four nominees is absurd.

What I keep reading is that they have more stage time and it's a very difficult role. Well, Brian d'Arcy James has a very difficult role with a lot of stage time as well and he has to perform it through extra pounds and extra make-up. J. Robert Spencer is on for a good portion of Next to Normal and he has to portray the anguish of living with a loved one who's losing her mind.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that it's fair for the Tony Nominating Committee to have made this choice because the same happened in the UK and in Australia. Did they feel it necessary to nominate Kristin Scott Thomas for The Seagull? She actually won the Olivier for her role in that show.

Videos