pixeltracker

Karen Olivo Out of "West Side Story" Tonight- Page 2

Karen Olivo Out of "West Side Story" Tonight

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:10pm

Maybe Carrie Fisher is involved. You just know Debbie was incensed that Carrie showed up looking like that.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#26re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:12pm

touche.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#27re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:13pm

I still can't imagine that anyone would tell Debbie Reynolds' to "F*ck off!". Granted it was 33 years ago, I just can't fathom it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:15pm

Kat Nejat went on for Anita on Sunday. Maybe they should have put her on again.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:25pm

Who would tell Debbie to F--- Off? Really. But Debbie is all about appearances and probably apologized to her audience at her cabaret about her daughter's ensemble.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#30re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:28pm

Thats a little harsh, WithoutATrace. I'm sure Karen Olivo would appreciate being cursed at by you. A simple, we need you back at the Palace so get better quickly would have sufficed.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#31re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:30pm

I agree that it was very harsh (sorry, Karen, I still love you)...I was just being honest about how I felt when I saw that she was not in tonight. And the fact that the understudy was awful didn't help matters.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#32re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:32pm

Karen might karate chop you, WoT.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#33re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:33pm

All feelings, including anger, are healthy, so long as they are expressed in emotionally healthy ways. We all know WAT is a loving person, he just gets overwhelmed sometimes. Like when he is missing one signature on a cast poster. He will be fine...he just needs time and support from us. :)

WithoutATrace
#34re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:35pm

Awwww...thanks Bettyboy. I love getting support from this board. You guys are the best.

Let me say something positive...Josefina and Matt made the show so enjoyable today. They were even better than I had remembered.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#35re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:37pm

Youre welcome WAT...we all know you live and breathe theatre. No one should be surprised you were upset. But youre not alone. Many Alice Ripley fans are feeling the same sadness tonight.

Ole Chum
#36re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:44pm

im sure Karen is as upset as you are that she missed tonight's show. Sucks for everyone, but seeing as she was out on Sunday, and sounded so hoarse at the Tonys, it seems shes sick.

i hope shes in it still when i finally get to NY and see it.

WithoutATrace
#37re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:45pm

Luckily for the Alice Ripley fans, they were able to get a refund! (and lucky for me, I didn't pay for tonight's performance of WSS...the four times I paid, I saw the full cast)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#38re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:48pm

Wait, I thought the Anita understudy was Alena Watters- how many Anita understudies are there?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#39re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:51pm

Counting Lin-Manuel there are 4.

WithoutATrace
#40re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:51pm

According to the playbill, there are two understudies for Anita: Yanira Marin and Kat Nejat.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:52pm

Apparently Alena isn't with the production anymore. She was like the standby for a week.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#42re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:54pm

Apparently Alena isn't with the production anymore. She was like the standby for a week.

Really? Damn. Too bad- I really enjoyed her at At This Performance, would have loved to have seen her go on.

Sorry, done threadjacking, carry on...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#43re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 10:59pm

Is the understudy an awful dancer too?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#44re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:01pm

Kat Nejat went on for Anita on Sunday.

Whaaaaat? How was she (if anyone went)?? She's awesome, I could be okay with Karen being out if she was on.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#45re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:01pm

I think Lin-Manuel is more of a "mover" than "dancer".

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 6/9/09 at 11:01 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#46re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:02pm

"I was so looking forward to cheering you on tonight for your tony-winning performance, and unfortunately for me, I did not get to..."

Wow, WithoutATrace- could you be any more self-righteous?

Considering it was your fourth time seeing the show, I hardly think missing out on Olivo was such a major travesty.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#47re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:04pm

Frankly, I could understand WAT's disappointment that Karen was out tonight. It would have been her first performance after winning the Tony on Sunday. There's something about the excitement of that particular performance that can't be duplicated on the Wednesday after winning the Tony.

Thanks, Anakela. I knew there was a standby for Anita when the show first started. Wonder what happened to her.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

WithoutATrace
#48re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:05pm

Tonight was actually my fifth time seeing the show.

And Yanira could dance just about as well as Karen, but totally lacked the "it factor"...her acting and singing were far inferior than Karen's.
Updated On: 6/9/09 at 11:05 PM

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#49re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:06pm

Wow...Karen out of WSS, Alice out of N2N...

What about the 3 Billys, were they all in tonight?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Videos