#50re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:07pm

David was on tonight.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#51re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:09pm

Carrie Fisher was in for the Billy.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#52re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:10pm

"Frankly, I could understand WAT's disappointment that Karen was out tonight. It would have been her first performance after winning the Tony on Sunday. There's something about the excitement of that particular performance that can't be duplicated on the Wednesday after winning the Tony."

Dottie, you are 100% correct about this. Both Karen and Alice will never have this special "post-tony moment." Luckily, they will both have final performances, which will probably be very special, and I plan to attend both.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#53re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:15pm

WAT, I hate to break this to you, but the night either of them return will be their "post Tony moment" and it will be wonderful for them. Also, the audience that is lucky enough to experience that moment with them will be just as elated, for they got a free bonus. So sorry to tell you, they will have a thrilling first performance back even if it is not the first show back.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#54re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:16pm

So 4 out of the 6 TONY winners in Musicals were out?
What's wrong with the planet?
Both Olivo and Ripley looked pretty at the after parties.
Sorry for your loss WithoutATrace.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#55re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:17pm

Just sucks for all the people (WAT, I know you are one of them) that bought their tickets way in advance, and wasted all that money on just another performance. But hey, I guess that's live theater? I suppose these understudies are either just not up to par, or are just being judged too critically. Who knows!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#56re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:20pm

Poor Carrie Fisher...lol

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#57re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:20pm

I'm still in shock over brilliant boy's rave over Matt Cavenagh...

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#58re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:24pm

Bettyboy, but will the audience for the most part know it's her first night back? Some people buy tickets specifically taking the chance for the first post-Tony performance (meaning Tuesday after the awards show).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 6/9/09 at 11:24 PM

WithoutATrace
#59re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:24pm

Bettyboy, I hate to break this to you, but if Karen is back for tomorrow's matinee, it will definitely not be as special as if she had returned this evening. It will be special for her, yes, but I don't think the audience reaction will be as special as it would have been tonight.

Thank you, CurtainPullDowner and RippedMan for understanding.

Miracle, I have been raving about Cavenaugh's performance since Washington, DC. This should not be a shock to you.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#60re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:27pm

"if Karen is back for tomorrow's matinee, it will definitely not be as special as if she had returned this evening"

thats your opinion. ask karen and alice how they feel...it also goes to highlight that something must be wrong for them to miss

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#61re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:30pm

I'm looking forward to Matt Cavenaugh's wedding and honeymoon later this summer. That's when I'll make my return to the Palace theatre.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/9/09 at 11:30pm

Yeah, I mean I understand, but the show is awful. It's so boring. I would rather sit through Little Mermaid then subject myself to that production again. It's sad that that is my only exposure to this show, but it was awful as can be. And Matt's awful in it. I guess you liked him, but I still am wondering why Joe Kennedy was in a production of WSS?

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#63re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:03am

<< Karen, I don't know where the f*** you were tonight, but get you a** back to the Palace soon. Even if you were slightly ill, you should have been there to revel in your first performance as a Tony-winning actress. Lin Manuel Miranda was sick last year for the Tuesday performance after the Tony Awards, and he still went on. I was so looking forward to cheering you on tonight for your tony-winning performance, and unfortunately for me, I did not get to. (sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but i was very upset that she was out) >>

Wat... did it ever occur to you that she might have lost her voice? It DOES happen.

WithoutATrace
#64re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:07am

Believe me, I know my statement was harsh, testing. I was very mad that she wasn't there (and I still am).

Of course people lose their voices all the time...did it have to be Karen's voice on June 9th though???

FindingNamo
#65re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:09am

It's all a huge contract renogiation ploy.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#66re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:46am

Awww...WAT. I'm sorry you were disappointed. I hope it didn't ruin your evening with your family.

WithoutATrace
#67re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:51am

Thanks, PJ. It absolutely did not ruin my evening with my family. They all LOVED the show. We did not have understudy slips in our playbills (but I had seen the callboard walking in) and I didn't say anything because I didn't want to sway their opinions.

My dad even wants to see it again (and he generally hates going to these things).

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#68re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:56am

Not in the Playbill?
No announcement?
Call the understudy's agent.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#69re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:58am

I got to see Haydn Gwynne tonight. She had been out the other night I saw it, and I saw Jayne Paterson play the dance teacher (beautifully). She played Billy's mother tonight (equally beautiful). But I finally got to see Haydn Gwynne's Tony-nominated performance.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#70re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:59am

WAT, I'm also very sorry that you didn't have the evening that you were expecting.

You have every right to be disappointed. Don't let the snarkheads get you down!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

WithoutATrace
#71re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:01am

Thanks, Addy. I always appreciate your support.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#72re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:03am

We share the common bond of being emotionally invested in theatre. That's a wonderful way to form a friendship! re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#73re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:05am

This may be OT or known, but WAT do you really see .. every show atleast 4 times? Didn't you see A Tale of Two Cities countless times??!

PS: I would have similarly been disappointed not to see Alice or Karen tonight! But I guess there's always a tomorrow...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#74re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:06am

Exactly. Even when we disagree. ESPECIALLY when we disagree...if we can agree that no one has to to be right and no one has to be wrong.

That's when passion becomes a beautiful thing.