pixeltracker

RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!- Page 2

RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#25re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:51pm

The Broadway would be an ideal house for this production.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:52pm

Dear Marin Mazzie,

Please reprise your role.

I love you.

Sincerely,
Jordan Catalano

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#27re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:53pm

Love Ragtime! Good news!

somethingwicked
#28re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:55pm

Jordan Catalano, I think you'll be very happy with Christiane Noll.

She is an absolute revelation as Mother. Personally, I found her superior to Mazzie.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Fosse76
#29re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:56pm

Contrary to popular opinion, the neil Simon is not booked...and theater owners have extraordinary discretion on which of their houses a show will go into.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:56pm

I love Marin Mazzie but I hope Christiane Noll reprises her role. Her voice is one of my favorites.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 1:58pm

Don't get me wrong, I adore Noll. But I've seen countless productions of this show and (to me) nobody has ever come close to being as glorious as Marin was. But if Noll took the role, I would be very very happy.

brdwybound04
#32re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 2:04pm

Here's another new link:

Another Ragtime B-way link

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 2:06pm

Look at the figures:

1998 - 96 % (https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=RAGTIME&year=1998)

and 1999 - 87 % (https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=RAGTIME&year=1999)

For any reasonably budgeted show that would have ensured payoff and healthy profit. But with Garth Drabinsky skimming $200 K a week it pushed the break-even too high. THAT is why Eisner closed the show soon after taking control of Livent. But the attendance figures show that it was popular production. Less so after some rather unsastifactorty (cheaper?) cast replacements, but still a draw.

So to say "it didn't find an audience the first time around" is not true at all.

RAGTIME had a weekly nut of $600 K ($550 K with royalty waivers) - So to meet that the show needed $64.2 million. The show grossed $79.7 million for its 107 week Broadway stay. That is a net operating profit of $15.5 million, which should have been more than enough to pay off. The fact that it didn't is still under investigation in the U.S. In Toronto earlier this year Drabinsky was found guilty of accounting fraud, moving profits from one show to cover losses of others - so where that $15 million went is anyone's guess.

SO even if Variety reports RAGTIME as a flop, it wasn't a flop due to its Broadway earning power.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 6/11/09 at 02:06 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#34re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 2:44pm

My fave show EVER !!! But why limited ?? re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!(

NDR
#35re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:06pm

Beyond excited for this show to come back!
I loved the original.

Possible casting:
Gavin Creel for Brother?
Stephanie J. Block for Mother?
Just my two cents.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#36re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:17pm

YES! Oh, I loved this production!

I hope they keep as much of the Kennedy Center cast as possible. I particularly want Quentin Earl Darrington, and Bobby Steggert back.

I think a small theatre would not work for this show, though. Oh, and although I think Marin Mazzie's voice is perfect for mother... Christiane Noll's acting was leaps and bounds above what had been done with the role before. I wasn't crazy about her voice, but her characterization was brilliant.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

somethingwicked
#37re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:17pm

NDR, there's no need to start hypothetical casting.

I'm sure a large majority of the cast from the Kennedy Center staging will transfer with the show, especially the principals (minus Manoel Felciano, who definitely won't be moving with it as he's taking up residency with San Francisco's American Conservatory Theater.)

Updated On: 6/11/09 at 03:17 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#38re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:21pm

Part of the strength of the DC production was its cast. I hope that they remain intact for the transfer.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

TheBoyDownstairs Profile Photo
TheBoyDownstairs
#39re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:23pm

This totally makes my day...I'm beyond excited to see this production that I've heard such great things about.

Now all I need is a revival of City of Angels and I'll be a really happy camper.

NDR
#40re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:38pm

somethingwicked: sorry to have offended you but last I checked it was still a free country and people could say what they wanted to. I hope the Kennedy Center cast does transfer, but who are you to tell me not to postulate about possible casting.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#41re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:42pm

Leigh Ann Larkin please.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#42re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:53pm

I was telling someone earlier that I hope most of the cast stays intact. The cast of the Kennedy Center production was a true ensemble. I don't think the OBC can be topped, but the DYNAMICS of the Kennedy Center production probably better suited the show. There weren't as many competing powerhouses, and everyone had a measure of restraint and subtlety. There were standout performers, but none of the three storylines completely dominated the show. I wish Mano could stay with the show as I loved his Tateh, but it sounds like he's doing exciting work out in San Francisco.

noahrp3
#43re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:56pm

The casting notice states that all roles are currently available...although that may not mean anything...

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#44re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:59pm

The best news I've heard in a long time. I have so much love for Ragtime.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

lynnetoomey
#45re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:59pm

This is OUTSTANDING news! I saw the production in DC, and was blown away from the moment the curtain rose. Broadway needs more INTELLIGENT yet still entertaining musicals! This is going to be a huge hit.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#46re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 4:14pm

(minus Manoel Felciano, who definitely won't be moving with it as he's taking up residency with San Francisco's American Conservatory Theater.)

A darn shame. For me, Felciano (and the sublime Noll) were the highlights of this production. Their presence, and take on Tateh and Mother, pulled all my focus from Coalhouse's story.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#47re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 4:27pm

Why would Stephanie Block and Gavin Creel leave high-grossing shows within months of opening for this?

If anyone from Kennedy Center stayed with the show, I would hope it would be Bobby Steggert. He was absolutely perfect in the role.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

somethingwicked
#48re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 5:09pm

The only principal roles they are looking to recast at the moment (per ATC) are Tateh, Sarah, Emma Goldman, and the children.

Jennlee Shallow is committed to a Las Vegas company of a Cirque de Soleil show, Manoel Felciano is a contracted resident of ACT in San Francisco, and I believe Donna Migliacio (who was truly remarkable) isn't interested in leaving D.C.

Here's hoping they line up Mary Testa for Emma.

As far as Tateh and Sarah, Raul Esparza and Anika Noni Rose would be interesting choices.

Updated On: 6/11/09 at 05:09 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#49re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/11/09 at 5:14pm

Raul as Tateh would be perfect. I would love for that to happen.